Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: What are you currently reading?

paulgoatallen wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Great start to this series. Great read!

The Companions (The Sundering, #1) by R. A. Salvatore

The Companions  

Agreed, Pen. This one was a jaw-dropper. What Salvatore has done with this novel is arguably the RISKIEST thing I've ever seen an author do. Just wow.....

I read The Companions on my nook and didn't see the cover so clearly. Paul that is a nice quote from you on the front cover of the book.

The Companions  

I also was lucky to get an early copy of the second book of the series, The Godborn. Very good book, not quite the equal to The Companions. But I truly enjoyed it.

The Godborn  

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I've been listening to this series by Nathan Lowell while at work, in slow phone moments.  It's free from iTunes and Podiobooks (I think Podiobooks).  And really hooked on the commoner story here.  Really caught up in the lives of Ish and all he comes into contact with in the Deep Dark Space.

Quarter Share  

Half Share  

Full Share  

Double Share  

Captain's Share  

I'm listening to CAPTAIN SHARE now and will dive right into the last book, OWNER SHARE, when done.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well, I finished Captain's Share by Nathan Lowell and have dove right into Owner's Share by Nathan Lowell.  The are free listens on iTunes and Podiobooks, but I can't find the ebooks here.  Science fiction in the life of a commoner who rises in the ranks.  Rather amazing character & I'm completely sucked into his life. lol.

Last of the series though.  Sad to see it end when it does.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Reap The East Wind by Glen Cook. It was a FreeFriday selection about a year ago.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Dresh
0 Kudos

Reamde by Neal Stephenson...

Brilliant!

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading:

Heartwood  

I'm enjoying the elemental feel to the world and characters. And I liked Chonrad the first time I saw him. Nice humor and seems like an all around good guy. But interesting setting here. 

Bibliophile
Melhay

I'm starting to get into listening to audiobooks when at work lately. This is the latest I've downloaded.

Hapax  

I'm only 5 chapters in, but really liking the crafted world and story thus far. Fantasy with magic, strong religion, and an ending world. 

pen21
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I'm starting to get into listening to audiobooks when at work lately. This is the latest I've downloaded.

Hapax  

I'm only 5 chapters in, but really liking the crafted world and story thus far. Fantasy with magic, strong religion, and an ending world. 

I listen to audiobooks at work and in the car. Some of the narrators really make the book come alive.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Just finished Strictly Analog by Richard Levesque. Nice light read. Kind of a dystopian future. Father trying to clear his daughter of a murder change. Well paced, with some interesting ideas.
Contributor
myykuul
0 Kudos

I finished re-reading 

and just started 

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Hapax  

I listen to audiobooks at work and in the car. Some of the narrators really make the book come alive.

Pen, they really do. I've been listening to podcasted book, which are in shorter segments (easy to stop when on the go) and the background sounds and various voices really draw me into the world. I've really gotten taken away with them lately. Lots of listening getting done at work. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
shrimpdabarber
0 Kudos

Shrimpxout@gmail.com I need some nook friends.
Im a avid reader of all genres,
Contributor
Compiux
0 Kudos

Right now:

Children of Dune (Paperback)

and

Metro 2033 (nook book, spanish)

I am the Kwisatz Harderach... Well, at least that's what my business card says.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I got caught up with the Powder Mage series with the novella's in the world. Loved them all!

The Girl of Hrusch Avenue  

Hope's End  

Forsworn  

Reader 2
BrianKGlass
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm reading 1920: America's Great War by Robert Conroy.  I am just at page 50 or so and  it's moving along briskly.  I think I'll enjoy it.  I love history and one of the things about alternate history stories I don't like is if I'm not familiar with the actual history of the story I spend a lot of time figuring out how much is real versus made up.  I'm pretty familiar with this time frame so hopefully I won't be distracted by the facts. 
Contributor
BrittneySue

After year of pressure from my mother I am finally reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Enthralled so far. 

pen21
0 Kudos

BrittneySue wrote:

After year of pressure from my mother I am finally reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Enthralled so far. 

I enjoy the Outlander series. I hear that there will be a series about the books. I think it will be on Showtime.

Bibliophile
Melhay

I've got 2 stories going to this time.

Listening to MOREVI by Tee Morris & Lisa Lee.

Morevi  

Just started, but very curious about it. And it's a free listen!

Now I'm reading:

What Kings Ate and Wizards Drank  

Interesting seeing what foods can be in the medival times as our heroes are on the run. :smileywink: Great reference guide.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

Morevi  

Now I'm reading:

Interesting seeing what foods can be in the medival times as our heroes are on the run. :smileywink: Great reference guide.

I liked Morevi, listened to it via podcast awhile ago.

I just read Canticle for Leibowitz, excellent read.

A Canticle for Leibowitz  

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Morevi  

Now I'm reading:

I liked Morevi, listened to it via podcast awhile ago.

I just read Canticle for Leibowitz, excellent read.

A Canticle for Leibowitz  

Oh Pen! Glad to hear you listened to Morevi. That's what I've got, the podcast. :smileyhappy:

And I remember reading A Canticle for Leibowitz some time ago here with Paul's pick of the month. Was a great read.