Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Phyllis,

The author is Tom Lloyd.  He is a British author who is 28 years old and this was his first novel. There are a total of 5 books in the series.  The first one is out with the second one at the publishers and the third almost finished according to his website.  I don't have my copy with me right now because one of my nephews borrowed it to read and I have not got it back yet but I really liked it and am looking forward to more in the series.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--The author is Tom Lloyd.  He is a British author who is 28 years old and this was his first novel. There are a total of 5 books in the series.  The first one is out with the second one at the publishers and the third almost finished according to his website.  I don't have my copy with me right now because one of my nephews borrowed it to read and I have not got it back yet but I really liked it and am looking forward to more in the series.

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the info, I will have to check and see if my library has the book.  I found two books with the same name and they both sound good.  But, I generally like series.  :smileyhappy: 

Phyllis
Reader
eugleenna

fforgnayr wrote:
I've been rereading The Mage Winds triology by Mercedes Lackey, I am on the third one, Winds of Fury, now.

I love everything by Mercedes Lackey!  I'm giving her Arrows Trilogy to my daughter to introduce her to a love of fantasy.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Eugleenna,

Have you read here newest Valdemar book Foundation.  I just got my copy and am starting it now.  I would suggest if you are going to start your daughter with that world I would start with Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price.  Though the Arrow trilogy is good.  I have been rereading the series in chronological order.

Welcome to the group and you may want to check out the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy bookclub.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
New User
Nicodaemon
0 Kudos

What did you think of that?  Overall I like the concept but I felt like the author didn't really know how to end the book.
New User
Nicodaemon
0 Kudos

Sorry folks I apparently did that wrong, I was commenting back on Whitechapel Gods, and I do agree that from the point where you get into the groove of the story (about 3-4 chapters in) to about two chapters before the end the book is tight.  Very well thought out world and some excellent characters, to the point that you fell hot and gritty while you read the book.  However, I felt that the end was way to pat. 

Hope thats clearer now.

Nicholas

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

I finished Moonrise by Ben Bova. I give it a 5 out of 10. Loved the science behind the story.

Clippership:

With the username Clippership, I would've thought that you loved Moonrise (clipperships are a big deal in Bova's Grand Tour novels, for those of you who have never read him). Seriously though, I think Ben Bova is one of the most underappreciated hard SF writers around.  He has been around for so long – and consistently put out solid stories – that I think alot of readers kind of take him for granted. Take his latest, Mars Life – if that had been a debut novel by some unknown writer, it would've been getting publicity everywhere but since it's just another of Bova's Grand Tour novels, it's not at all heralded... 

Anyone looking for novels that not only feature hard SF speculation but also a solid, character-driven storyline should read any and all of Ben Bova's works. The guy is seriously a visionary.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Paul,

The clippership aspect was fantastic. I did love the science and I agree that Ben Bova does an excellent job of using it and making it entertaining at the same time. The oddities that led me to only give it a 5 out of 10 come from the way he sliced the story 1/3 of the way through. The first third deals with Paul Stavenger and it arcs beautifully then kills him off at a moment of heroic sacrifice. You could have ended the story there, essentially. The last 2/3 of the book deal with his son Doug, his wife, and stepson. The latter two were a big part of the 1/3 and that carries the reader in as far as human interest goes. Once the reader reorients himself to the fact that you've moved on a generation the story again arcs well. The transition seemed a bit disjointed to me. The other factor was all the gratuitous sexual content. You could have left it out and still had an amazing book. Some explanation into the characters sexual lives could have been essential, but you stumble over it all over the place even with minor characters who don't move the plot along.

The characters were solid, the plotting fantastic, and again, great use of scientific principles and theories. I completely agree that the man is visionary -- inspiring actually. But I have to be honest, the 5 out of 10 stays and is my opinion. It doesn't mean I won't read anything else he's written.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

Paul,

The clippership aspect was fantastic. I did love the science and I agree that Ben Bova does an excellent job of using it and making it entertaining at the same time. The oddities that led me to only give it a 5 out of 10 come from the way he sliced the story 1/3 of the way through. The first third deals with Paul Stavenger and it arcs beautifully then kills him off at a moment of heroic sacrifice. You could have ended the story there, essentially. The last 2/3 of the book deal with his son Doug, his wife, and stepson. The latter two were a big part of the 1/3 and that carries the reader in as far as human interest goes. Once the reader reorients himself to the fact that you've moved on a generation the story again arcs well. The transition seemed a bit disjointed to me. The other factor was all the gratuitous sexual content. You could have left it out and still had an amazing book. Some explanation into the characters sexual lives could have been essential, but you stumble over it all over the place even with minor characters who don't move the plot along.

The characters were solid, the plotting fantastic, and again, great use of scientific principles and theories. I completely agree that the man is visionary -- inspiring actually. But I have to be honest, the 5 out of 10 stays and is my opinion. It doesn't mean I won't read anything else he's written.

The nonlinearity – that's the one aspect of Bova's Grand Tour saga that I love but that may make it difficult for readers who are just reading one novel somewhere in the sequence. There's a much larger, more complex story arc going on here and the more Grand Tour novels one reads, the more the reader begins to understand the enormity of what Bova's trying to do. Before passing judgement on Moonrise, please read Moonwar – I think some things will fall into place...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Moonwar. So noted and added to my list. It's nice to know that all of these books are inter-related. Maybe the diamond clippership will yet become a reality? I admit I was disappointed they never reached that point by the end of Moonrise. I was all geared up to mine an asteroid.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Just finished Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. This has been hands down the best book I've read all year. Entertaining, great pacing, she continuously tortures her protagonists, and has a satisfying ending. I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this one.

As to the movie trailer for Inkheart -- what's with all the Wizard of Oz references? Hollywood's botching another one.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

On my lunch break it's "Sunrise Lands" - S.M. Stirling, and at home "Wicked"- Gregory MacGuire this week (and probably into next week). Next up is the Locke Lamora sequel "Red Seas under Red skies" (not sure I got the title right, it's sitting on my desk waiting for me).

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Heart of the Ronin by Travis Heermann, a historical fantasy set in feudal Japan that's coming out in February. I just started it so I can't say whether it will be good or bad yet...

Paul 

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I just finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. This was a very good book! It didn't have the typical fantasy elements (wizards, dragons, elves, dwarves, farm boys, etc.) I loved the way the author continued to up the stakes for all of the characters, even the antagonists, right through the climax. The world building aspect was very well done and added dimension to the plotting. I'm definitely interested in reading more by this author now.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. I wasn't as impressed with Elantris as the other people here, but I didn't hate it, so I figured I'd give his other books a shot.
Inspired Contributor
osha341
0 Kudos

Just finished Cosmic Cocktails and enjoyed all the different authors take on bars up in space.  Haven't read many sci/fi in awhile but anything edited by Denise Little and I'm always sure to find alot of good stories.  My favorite story was about an ectoplasma thing that was swallowed by patrons, it took out all the bad stuff, cancer, bad liver, etc., from inside the patron, got drunk itself and then was smashed up by the bartender to get rid of all of the bad stuff.
Lindy...
Powerful Women's Motto: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... "Oh sh_t...she's awake!!'
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Reading Todd McCaffrey's DragonHarper with DragonHeart waiting in the wings.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Finished DragonHarper yesterday and decided to read Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon instead of DragonHeart.  I have read Trading In Danger before but wanted to reread it.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:
I just finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. This was a very good book!

I agree with you, Clippership. I read Elantris and loved it. It was so different than the other contemporary fantasy releases out there... I'm a sucker for writers who have a lyrical quality to their writing and Brandon Sanderson is definitely that kind of writer. 

Paul 

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

DragonHarper?

I've never heard of that.... on a scale of one to ten, how good is it?

and I haven't gotten around to Elantris yet... it's number 20 something on my reading list....

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."