AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I am still working on finishing the Legend of Drizzt collection by R. Salvatore.  It is taking me a while to finish the last couple of books but I have really enjoyed reading this collection.  The first couple of books were my favorite because we were learning so much more about the characters and the world.
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Golly. I also finished Name of the Wind yesterday and Mistborn is in my lunchbox to start today. It's kinda like showing up at work wearing the same shirt as a co-worker. What are we reading next, carmen, lol.

Brad

LOL!! I'll let you know as soon as I do LOL!! So how did you like the Name of the Wind? I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

AGN wrote:
I am still working on finishing the Legend of Drizzt collection by R. Salvatore.  It is taking me a while to finish the last couple of books but I have really enjoyed reading this collection.  The first couple of books were my favorite because we were learning so much more about the characters and the world.

AGN:

I love the Drizzt novels! In my opinion, that saga is one of the very best adventure fantasy series ever written. Right up there with Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, Moorcock's Elric, Tolkien's LOTR, etc. Dark elves rule.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Golly. I also finished Name of the Wind yesterday and Mistborn is in my lunchbox to start today. It's kinda like showing up at work wearing the same shirt as a co-worker. What are we reading next, carmen, lol.

Brad

LOL!! I'll let you know as soon as I do LOL!! So how did you like the Name of the Wind? I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book!!

Loved Name of the Wind. Read it on like everyone's recommendation. Liking Mistborn pretty good so far. Better than Elantris really. Characters are more likable so far for me. Dying to find out what we are reading next, lol

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Loved Name of the Wind. Read it on like everyone's recommendation. Liking Mistborn pretty good so far. Better than Elantris really. Characters are more likable so far for me. Dying to find out what we are reading next, lol

Brad

Never read Elantris before how was it?  Mistborn will be the first I have read of Sanderson's and so far Im liking it.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
New User
SweetHaYn

Aloha!

I just joined the club!  I wasn't really one to read about fantasy but my friend turned me on to "The Wheel of Time" Series.  I'm only on book six but loving it.  I'm not sure if the "Rowan" series would be considered Fantasy but I totally enjoyed that series.    I look forward to reading all your reviews to pick up some ideas for more books to read!

Keep on reading!  The mind should never be idle!

A Hui Hou~

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Never read Elantris before how was it?  Mistborn will be the first I have read of Sanderson's and so far Im liking it.

Elantris is a standalone book by Sanderson. I believe it was his debut. Very good read. Devoured it in a few days.

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Correspondent
Clippership14

Re: What are you currently reading? -Spoilers-

Technically, Mistborn, was written as a standalone too. Sound confusing? For those of you who may not know how the publishing industry works with this:

Authors are encouraged strongly to make their first book a standalone. Then if it sells well they are allowed to do the next in the intended series and then the next and so forth. Unless the book is such a blockbuster that the publisher contracts up front for the next several volumes of the series. Or if the author is already a well-known and successful brand name so there is no need to make the first book in a series a standalone because the publisher already knows it will sell well based on who the author is.

Sanderson's Elantris was a very strong first novel. Stronger than most debut novels. But when reading Mistborn you can see that all the loose ends are neatly tied up by the conclusion of the book. (Maybe his first book didn't make all the sales they hoped for initially so he still had to follow the writing axiom of the standalone.) There is just a whisper of a possible loose thread in regards to the Deepening. While I understand the economic reasons for publishers encouraging this sort of thing, as a reader I get frustrated.

I'm trying to plow through the second book in the series, The Well of Ascension and am finding it not as compelling because so much was resolved in the first book. The most charismactic character, Kelsier, is not in the second book. The romantic suspense between Vin and Elend had a resolution at the end of Mistborn so anything after that is like warming up leftovers. I'm having a difficult time getting into the conflict or finding a lead character to really root for. Not that Sanderson's writing isn't good in this one, it's that "well here's some more of the story" attitude that comes with writing a sequel to an essential standalone. Frustrating.

It's kind of like watching Pirates of the Caribbean. The first movie was a standalone, and was a huge success so Disney decided to tack on two more continuations. The last two films stand by each other and lead into each other well, but in reality, you could get away with watching just the first film and being satisfied with not having seen the other two. Does that make sense?

I'm also reading Dust by Elizabeth Bear (for those moments when I want to read but just can't get into The Well of Ascension). What an evocatively descriptive writer! A bit confusing at times when trying to visualize the setting, but this woman can write! Breezing through this book pretty quickly and can't wait to dive into Watermind by M.M. Buckner. This was one of the topic books from the last round but I had to request my library to buy it and it just came in. Lamentation should be arriving soon so hopefully I'll be able to participate in that discussion next month.

Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr

Re: What are you currently reading? -Spoilers-

I have just finished reading The Sword of Shannara and it was great!  So now with that sitting on the back of my mind I have decided to go ahead and read the next book, The Elfstones of Shannara.  Hopefully it is a good book as well.

On a side note I found it interresting as I was able to pick up an old hardback version of the Sword of Shannara and while reading was surprised to actually find pictures in the book.  I am not sure if later published books have this as the wishsong edition I got does not.  But it was a nice visualization tool depicting some nice moments in the book.

These books are old, but good stuff.  I was laughing when it was saying the artist who did the cover (darrel k sweet) had recently done a LOTR calendar in 1982.  Thats the year I was born, so the actual copy I have is as old as I am.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Brad

Hey did you finish Mistborn? What did you think I really like the Characters I thought that Kelsier was a pretty fun guy myself and was sad to see him go. I do find myself wondering what the next one is about I haven't had a chance to get it yet but hopefully soon LOL!! so what are you reading next I cant make up my mind so maybe I can wear the same shirt as you this time around LOL!!!

Krista

AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

I love the Drizzt novels! In my opinion, that saga is one of the very best adventure fantasy series ever written. Right up there with Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, Moorcock's Elric, Tolkien's LOTR, etc. Dark elves rule.

Paul 

They are now in my favorite pile and I should add it to my favorites on here.  I loved the first books and plowed through them quickly.  I just took a quick break to catch up with the Dresden files books and will now be back to Drizzt.  For me it was easier to read then   Tolkien, so I enjoyed it even more.  Any recommendations for what next to read in the series?  I am a little confused by the order

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Brad

Hey did you finish Mistborn? What did you think I really like the Characters I thought that Kelsier was a pretty fun guy myself and was sad to see him go. I do find myself wondering what the next one is about I haven't had a chance to get it yet but hopefully soon LOL!! so what are you reading next I cant make up my mind so maybe I can wear the same shirt as you this time around LOL!!!

Krista

Hey Krista,

Just finished it. We are on to Well of Ascension (with your permission of course, lol). I'm gonna give Ken Scholes "Lamentation" a whirl next since everyone is raving about it and it's on the discussion list for next month. Loved Mistborn. I always like it when the characters have a good rapport with each other. Friends should joke and kid with each other. It's a must for books that I read, otherwise I lose interest in a hurry.

Brad

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Hey Krista,

Just finished it. We are on to Well of Ascension (with your permission of course, lol). I'm gonna give Ken Scholes "Lamentation" a whirl next since everyone is raving about it and it's on the discussion list for next month. Loved Mistborn. I always like it when the characters have a good rapport with each other. Friends should joke and kid with each other. It's a must for books that I read, otherwise I lose interest in a hurry.

Brad

Well I wont have a chance to get Well of Ascension this week I'm taking My little Girl to Disney World Awesome !!!  But you can let me know how it is, I'm going to get it when I get back. I'm reading the fourth book of Pellinor right now I just got it in the mail the other day and can't wait to see what happens. Yeah I seen people talking about Lamentation to but I didn't know it was the read for next month. I'll have to get that one so I can join in as well. Oh And I was wondering How do you know when and what book is up for discussion? 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

AGN wrote:

Any recommendations for what next to read in the series?  I am a little confused by the order

AGN:

Are you talking about the Drizzt novels? If so, I would suggest chronological order, which was made incredibly easy when Wizards of the Coast reissued all of the Drizzt novels in their Legend of Drizzt editions. Here's the first book in the series, Homeland. The list looks like this:

There's obviously more releases but I'd start in this order...
Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

AGN wrote:

Any recommendations for what next to read in the series?  I am a little confused by the order

AGN:

Are you talking about the Drizzt novels? If so, I would suggest chronological order, which was made incredibly easy when Wizards of the Coast reissued all of the Drizzt novels in their Legend of Drizzt editions. Here's the first book in the series, Homeland. The list looks like this:

There's obviously more releases but I'd start in this order...
Paul

The only problem with that Paul is "The Crystal shard" "Streams of silver" "Halfling gem" were written first. And though not chronological in the story, are the books containing the true character development.

I'd read them first.

Bradinator1

carmen22 wrote:

Well I wont have a chance to get Well of Ascension this week I'm taking My little Girl to Disney World Awesome !!!  But you can let me know how it is, I'm going to get it when I get back. I'm reading the fourth book of Pellinor right now I just got it in the mail the other day and can't wait to see what happens. Yeah I seen people talking about Lamentation to but I didn't know it was the read for next month. I'll have to get that one so I can join in as well. Oh And I was wondering How do you know when and what book is up for discussion? 

Carmen,

Paul has a listing of the books for discussion usually under one of the threads on top of the board. Also on the right side of the page here there's a box titled "Announcements" and has the schedule. Thanks for rubbing it in about Disney World...why don't you give me a nice papercut and pour lemon juice in it? Seriously, have fun storming Cinderella's Castle.

Brad

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

The only problem with that Paul is "The Crystal shard" "Streams of silver" "Halfling gem" were written first. And though not chronological in the story, are the books containing the true character development.

I'd read them first.

Tig:

You're absolutely right about The Crystal Shard, Streams and Halfling being written first but I think when WotC reissued the Legends of Drizzt in hardcover, they (and Bob Salvatore) did minor revisions to  accomodate for that... Let me see if I can find out for sure.

Either way, if the reader begins with Crystal or Homeland, it'll still be an amazing read!

Paul 

Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

I just finished Mary Reilly, by Valerie Martin.  It's the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as seen from the view of Jekyll's housemaid, Mary.  The book is much better than the film version.  I though that the author did an excellent job of preserving the tragedy and drama of the orginal story.

I'm now re-reading Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Carmen,

Paul has a listing of the books for discussion usually under one of the threads on top of the board. Also on the right side of the page here there's a box titled "Announcements" and has the schedule. Thanks for rubbing it in about Disney World...why don't you give me a nice papercut and pour lemon juice in it? Seriously, have fun storming Cinderella's Castle.

Brad

Brad

LOL LOL:smileyvery-happy: Sorry about the Papercut LOL!! Well I gave you a Laurel for the info so thanks and hopefully that will help you get a free trip to Disney or something LOL!!

AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

I started with Homeland and am now on the 9th book I think?? lol I will have to look.  I am taking a little break and just picked up Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

I guess what I meant earlier was what should I read next by R. A. Salvatore?

So much to read, so little time.