Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Re-reading "Queen of Darkness" by Anne Bishop. Loved the Black Jewels trilogy. I haven't been all that thrilled by her newer 2 series' though. Is that weird?

Brad: I can say this: Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy is one of the most unappreciated fantasy sagas out there. It was fantastic yet I NEVER see it on "best of" or "contemp classics" lists.... It's a shame.

Paul 

No kidding, Paul. Some really good humor and interaction between the main characters (what I liked best). Good story. She might be a little sadistic at times for some folks though. Not sure if that matters. It was on my list for sure.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

i just joined,so i dont know the rules yet. you do know that ROBERT JORDAN died. THE WHEEL OF TIME  series will not end. it was a great shame because i loved the first 11 books in the series.i recently have read GRACELING by KRISTIN CASHORE.STORM FROM THE SHADOWS by DAVID WEBER.PRINCEPS' FURY byJIM BUTCHER.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

MJS74 wrote:

i just joined,so i dont know the rules yet. you do know that ROBERT JORDAN died. THE WHEEL OF TIME  series will not end. it was a great shame because i loved the first 11 books in the series.i recently have read GRACELING by KRISTIN CASHORE.STORM FROM THE SHADOWS by DAVID WEBER.PRINCEPS' FURY byJIM BUTCHER.

I have recently read Graceling as well and I really enjoyed the idea really cool. How did you like it? Did you know that it's going to be a series? I'm not sure what the next one is going to be called but I do know it is about Bitterblues father the one eyed man and Katsa and po will not be in it. Then the thrid one is going to be called Bitterblue and Katsa and Po show back up in this one.
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Mike,

The  Wheel Of Time series is being finished by Brandon Sanderson at the request of TOR and Robert Jordan's widow.  It is suppose to come out this fall.  Robert had the book almost finished at the time of his death with the final chapters outlined.  So don't worry about that.  I think that it will be a very good book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Mike,

The  Wheel Of Time series is being finished by Brandon Sanderson at the request of TOR and Robert Jordan's widow.  It is suppose to come out this fall.  Robert had the book almost finished at the time of his death with the final chapters outlined.  So don't worry about that.  I think that it will be a very good book.

Toni

Is there a date on that one yet, Toni? I might pick it up since it's Sanderson finishing it.

Thanks!

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Brad,

I have not seen an exact date yet just that it is October 2009.  So we will see if they do an earlier date but that is the last I heard.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

thanks for the info, i sure hope the last book is good. i loved the series. although he gave away some clues as to how it was going to end, i was still upset when i saw he died. i must've read the first 11 books in series 2 or 3 times each.
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

i liked it alot. it had a nice flow to it for a debut author. the main character katsa had an interesting mix of innocence and rage.i will definetly look for her next book.
paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:

Mike,

Toni

Yes, people, Toni is right. I've been having an ongoing conversation about Mr.Sanderson with a Tor publicist and here's some news....the last book in the Wheel of Time is called Memory of Light and I don't have any exact release dates yet BUT on June 9th, he is coming out with the first installment of a new series – the book is called Warbreaker –and I'm trying to schedule him to stop by for a visit in July. If we can get him, then we can ask him allllll about Memory of Light! (cue the sinister laughter!) so stay tuned WoT fans...

Paul 

Warbreaker 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 03-14-2009 11:38 AM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Mike,

Toni

Yes, people, Toni is right. I've been having an ongoing conversation about Mr.Sanderson with a Tor publicist and here's some news....the last book in the Wheel of Time is called Memory of Light and I don't have any exact release dates yet BUT on June 9th, he is coming out with the first installment of a new series – the book is called Warbreaker –and I'm trying to schedule him to stop by for a visit in July. If we can get him, then we can ask him allllll about Memory of Light! (cue the sinister laughter!) so stay tuned WoT fans...

Paul 

Warbreaker 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 03-14-2009 11:38 AM

I went onto Brandon's website to check out what the book was about and found that he has rough drafts of the book available for downloads to read.  From what it looks like he is wanting to share what it is like to new writers and since we do get books for free at other places that this may influence us to read his book and want to purchase the other ones due to his faith in his books. 

I think this is COOL!!:smileyvery-happy:  I have heard of people talking of his other books.  I can check out his draft and if I like it I will purchase the original when it comes out along with the other books, which I have heard such great things on.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen

Melhay wrote:

...I think this is COOL!!:smileyvery-happy:  I have heard of people talking of his other books.  I can check out his draft and if I like it I will purchase the original when it comes out along with the other books, which I have heard such great things on.

Mel

Mel:

You've read my raves about Ken Scholes.... Brandon Sanderson is right up there with Ken in my opinion. His debut novel, Elantris, is still one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels – and from what I've read and heard, Warbreaker is going to be amazing. "Must read Brandon Sanderson." Repeat. "Must read Brandon Sanderson."

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

...I think this is COOL!!:smileyvery-happy:  I have heard of people talking of his other books.  I can check out his draft and if I like it I will purchase the original when it comes out along with the other books, which I have heard such great things on.

Mel

Mel:

You've read my raves about Ken Scholes.... Brandon Sanderson is right up there with Ken in my opinion. His debut novel, Elantris, is still one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels – and from what I've read and heard, Warbreaker is going to be amazing. "Must read Brandon Sanderson." Repeat. "Must read Brandon Sanderson."

Paul

With great respect for your opinions Paul:smileywink:, Brandon Sanderson has just been bumped up to the top of the little handy dandy book notebook list of reads.  I will have to work out my schedule of must/want to reads with the thread discussion reads.  I like to keep these fresh in my mind with the new threads to discuss then inbetween I read the must/want to ones.  Thank you.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Having already pounded through all the Sanderson available (they're pretty good!), I'm currently on "The Ten Thousand" by Paul Kearney. Kinda Roman Legion/Spartan feel to it for military based fantasy. After that will be "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber.

Brad

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Brad,

You finished the Mistborn series was the rest as good as the first? I haven't got a chance to get them yet I ended up getting Lamentation though really good did you get a chance to read it?

So how's that multi personality coming along?:smileyvery-happy:

I tried PMing you but I guess you can't get it so I'm not so sure it's working in your favor LOL!!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Brad,

You finished the Mistborn series was the rest as good as the first? I haven't got a chance to get them yet I ended up getting Lamentation though really good did you get a chance to read it?

So how's that multi personality coming along?:smileyvery-happy:

I tried PMing you but I guess you can't get it so I'm not so sure it's working in your favor LOL!!!

I finished as much of Mistborn as was available and enjoyed it. Lamentation has eluded me so far (I'll have to break down and order it, my B&N is always out of it!).

Yup you are correct Carmen. I am still out of phase with my PM mail. There might be a permanant move over to the "Maintainance Me" account. I can get those PMs every time. I'll hit you from that one so you can re-send your Pm to me.

Brad

Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

started THE STEEL REMAINS by RICHARD MORGAN today.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

On my current reading pile by my bed is Coyote and Coyote Rising by Allen Steele and To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

After all the enthusiasm here, I've put a hold on The Name of the Wind from the library. I've been reading (and in some cases, re-reading) Star Wars novelizations; the Timothy Zahn ones (which I've always liked best), and the Stackpole/Allston X-Wing series. I am considering going through the later series (New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, etc.) but haven't been able to make the plunge on that yet...
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I just startedEmbrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer Series #3)  I have really enjoyed this series so far, very entertaining.
Frequent Contributor
the_holy_catfish
0 Kudos

Re-reading "The Broken God" by David Zindell. This book changed my life.