Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: The Children of Hurin!! Possible spoilers!!

[ Edited ]

carmen22 wrote:

Paul,

I have finished The Children of Hurin and I must say absolutely mesmerizing!! My over all thoughts--- First and foremost Morgoth put one prodigious curse on Hurin and his family. This curse never failed to stay on the heels of The Children of Hurin, most of all Turin. Turin was proud and a mighty hero, though every where he went death was at his side never failing to take what he had or loved. He went through trial after trial and never fully coming out on top. He lost lovers, friends and family, was betrayed and loved by many.  He always had pity in his heart for others and through all the devastation bestowed upon him he would not falter to protect. He slain the mightiest of Dragons Glaurung and still he was met with desolation. One of the most chilling endings I have come across and probably will come across, absolutely spellbinding!!!  And lets not forget the most awe-inspiring ART by Alan Lee!!!

Tolkien is Marvelous!!! Loved it!!!

Carmen:

I am so psyched that liked it. To me, when I first read Children of Hurin, it was like this amazing, unexpected gift – I never thought that I would ever revisit Middle-earth again in any new storylines and this was just a read that I absolutely cherished. Glad it affected you the same way...

I'm really curious about this new release, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun – I know it's not a 

Middle-earth story but I'm still cautiously optimistic that it'll have the same "magic" that Children of Hurin did... I read that it was written before The Hobbit and LOTR.

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-22-2009 06:31 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Wilshire wrote:
I have just started Rides a Dread Legion.  It seems exciting.  It is the first Feist book I have read, so I do not know what to expect.  I guess I will see.

Chris:

Feist is a master. In my opinion, his Midkemia novels are better than Jordan's Wheel of Time, Goodkind's Sword of Truth, GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, etc.  If I had to name the most under-appreciated fantasy author out there, it would have to be Raymond Feist.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Wilshire
0 Kudos

I must know is Feist as good as Salvator?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Chris,

I think he is as good as Salvatore.  I have read all books by both of them.  They have different writing styles but both write really good books.  I am still waiting for the new one Salavtore wrote with his soon to get off the hot check out list at the library so I can finally read it.  Our local libraries get huge waiting lists long before the books are released.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Wilshire
0 Kudos

Toni,

That was a good book.  It was a bit different, but good.  I cannot wait until the next one comes out.  There are supposed to be two Salvatore coming out around October - the second in that set and the third book in the Transitions Trilogy.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Paul,

I have finished The Children of Hurin and I must say absolutely mesmerizing!! My over all thoughts--- First and foremost Morgoth put one prodigious curse on Hurin and his family. This curse never failed to stay on the heels of The Children of Hurin, most of all Turin. Turin was proud and a mighty hero, though every where he went death was at his side never failing to take what he had or loved. He went through trial after trial and never fully coming out on top. He lost lovers, friends and family, was betrayed and loved by many.  He always had pity in his heart for others and through all the devastation bestowed upon him he would not falter to protect. He slain the mightiest of Dragons Glaurung and still he was met with desolation. One of the most chilling endings I have come across and probably will come across, absolutely spellbinding!!!  And lets not forget the most awe-inspiring ART by Alan Lee!!!

Tolkien is Marvelous!!! Loved it!!!

Carmen:

I am so psyched that liked it. To me, when I first read Children of Hurin, it was like this amazing, unexpected gift – I never thought that I would ever revisit Middle-earth again in any new storylines and this was just a read that I absolutely cherished. Glad it affected you the same way...

I'm really curious about this new release, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun – I know it's not a 

Middle-earth story but I'm still cautiously optimistic that it'll have the same "magic" that Children of Hurin did... I read that it was written before The Hobbit and LOTR.

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-22-2009 06:31 PM

Paul,

Yeah, when I saw you had it for a feature I was a little curious  and was thinking about checking it out. When/if you get it let us know how you like it!!

Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-23-2009 09:54 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Wilshire wrote:
I must know is Feist as good as Salvator?

It's tough to rank one ahead of theother since they do write different types of fantasy. I love them both – I think Feist is a master at the fantasy epic, that is a saga featuring a much-historied realm, multiple storylines, incredibly well developed characters, etc. while Salvatore, I view, as adventure fantasy. Yes, he is an incredible realm-builder and offers up some intricate storylines but his novels are more fast-paced and generally have less developed characters. I do love them both though...

Paul 

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm now onto the fourth Fablehaven book--they're a nice place to turn if you're on a Harry Potter high and want something along that vein, yet different. I liked Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve so I'm going to see how the rest of the Hungry City Chronicles evolves. Also picked up the last couple of Redwall books. After reading some of the other posts I have to chime in that I loved Children of Hurin--haunting story. I think I might look into Feist too, he sounds intriguing. One book at a time.
Message Edited by Clippership14 on 04-25-2009 10:28 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Clippership,

If  you are going to start reading Raymond E. Feist's books please start with Magician you may find it as a single volume but most paperback editions have it split into two books, Magician:Apprentice and Magician:Master.  That is how I first read it but when it finally wore out I got the hardback because it was on the bargin book table.  I also listed the chronolgical order that the author lists on the Feist thread or you can read them in publication order.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading Queen Of The Amazons by Judith Tarr while I'm waiting for the library to get there copy of In The Court Of The Sun that is one of next months reads.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

Based off recommendations I picked up a couple new books today.

EON

The Name of the Wind

Once I finish the Wishsong of Shannara I will be digging into one of these.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

I'll be starting A Canticle for Leibowitz as well as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  over the weekend!!   

Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-25-2009 09:25 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks, Toni. It helps to have a definite direction to go in. I'll see what my library has (or can get) tomorrow.
Contributor
SoCalMom
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Dean Koontz's Fear Nothing while I wait for my next Steven Brust book to come in.  I've just picked it up so I don't know to much about it yet.  I hope it's good.  Which I'm sure it will be.

I'm alway on the look out for the next great read....So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  :smileyvery-happy:  My favorite genre is Sci/Fi Fantasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I realize, of course, that it is not true logic to argue--"The world is not as we think it is--therefore everything we think impossible is possible in it." Even if it be different, it is governed by law. The truly impossible is that which is outside law, and as nothing can be outside law, the impossible cannot exist.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

SoCalMom wrote:

I'm currently reading Dean Koontz's Fear Nothing while I wait for my next Steven Brust book to come in.  I've just picked it up so I don't know to much about it yet.  I hope it's good.  Which I'm sure it will be.

I'm alway on the look out for the next great read....So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  :smileyvery-happy:  My favorite genre is Sci/Fi Fantasy.

Welcome, and by all means, find and read The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. It is really a wonderful read. Also Lamentation by Ken Scholes. They are both well worth your time.
There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

SoCalMom wrote:

Welcome, and by all means, find and read The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. It is really a wonderful read. Also Lamentation by Ken Scholes. They are both well worth your time.

I second that, excellent reads!! Two of my favorites!!!

Hi by the way and welcome to the club SoCalMom!!

Carmen

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Wilshire wrote:
I have just started Rides a Dread Legion.  It seems exciting.  It is the first Feist book I have read, so I do not know what to expect.  I guess I will see.

Chris:

Feist is a master. In my opinion, his Midkemia novels are better than Jordan's Wheel of Time, Goodkind's Sword of Truth, GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, etc.  If I had to name the most under-appreciated fantasy author out there, it would have to be Raymond Feist.

Paul 

Speaking of. ... I'm working on "Wrath of a Mad God". I'm almost caught up. I started reading these with the first book and had to wait for the next to come out. I agree with Paul, very under-appreciated. Perhaps because this series is all he really does, but if it's not broke why fix it?

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradina

Perhaps because this series is all [Feist] really does, but if it's not broke why fix it?

Brad

Brad:

Exactly. And since he has literally hundreds of characters to work with and centuries of history, there is really no chance of getting that rehashed, repetitive  stuff that comes when an author has gone to the well one to many times...

Paul 

Contributor
Wilshire
0 Kudos

That Fablehaven looks pretty tight thanks for interducing it to me.
Contributor
SoCalMom
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

SoCalMom wrote:

Fantastic!  I'll check both of those out.  Thanks for the recomendation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I realize, of course, that it is not true logic to argue--"The world is not as we think it is--therefore everything we think impossible is possible in it." Even if it be different, it is governed by law. The truly impossible is that which is outside law, and as nothing can be outside law, the impossible cannot exist.