Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Re: What are you currently reading?

qwertbook82 wrote:
I did read The Blade Itself and I liked it. I probably would have liked it a lot more, but my expectations were really high after all of the hype about it.

Just my 2 cents, but I love this series. Ambercrombie has really done a great job on these. I always recommend these.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Nadine wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

I'm working my way through "Memories of Ice" by Steven Erickson. Part of his Malazan series. These books have been some of the toughest reading I've done in a long time, but in a good way. There is a ton of stuff going on in these and you really have to pay attention or you'll get lost in a hurry. On a lighter note just finished "A Nameless Witch" by A. Lee Martinez. VERY funny!! The demonic duck is hilarious!

Brad

demonic duck?! (raised eyebrow) Interesting, tell me more please.

You can read some of it here. Newt, the duck is introduced around page 20. They are close companions throughout the book.

Thanks, that's pretty funny. I'll have to pick it up now.

You get Zombie Cows in his "Gil's All Fright Diner". Martinez comes up with some pretty funny stuff.

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
New User
RoughEdit

Currently working my way through the Foundation novels. I had heard about the series over the years, but didn't actually start reading them until a few months ago. I'm completely hooked. Right now I've just finished Second Foundation. Just bought Foundation's edge and will start into that once I finish Neil Gaimen's Stardust. Like to break it up a bit when I can. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

RoughEdit wrote:
Currently working my way through the Foundation novels. I had heard about the series over the years, but didn't actually start reading them until a few months ago. I'm completely hooked. Right now I've just finished Second Foundation. Just bought Foundation's edge and will start into that once I finish Neil Gaimen's Stardust. Like to break it up a bit when I can. 

I'm envious of anyone who is reading Foundation for the first time. It was, for me, one of those "awakening" works that we encounter (rarely). I'm still reading Rides A Dread Legion by Feist (I'm working a lot right now - so not much time to read) and I REALLY like it.  It has a very interesting take on Elves. I'll be looking for the next one.
There are more of us than you think.
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Just started "A Fate Worse Than Dragons" by John Moore. Needed some lighthearted satire after pounding through 2 Malazan tomes.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Raymond Feist's Magician:Apprentice. I can see now why having a joint copy of the first and second books in the series would be a plus. The ending of this book had me sitting back saying "What ending at this point?!" I'm on queue at the library for Magician:Master.

Oh, and just a heads up for all you Name of the Wind fans, the manuscript for the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, has gone in for first edits and should be out in a year. Don't bite your nails down to nothing. =)

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Old Skool week here. "Doomfarers of Coramande" by Brian Daley. re-readgin that and it's sequel "Starfollowers Of Coramonde". Just finished "Winds of Limbo" by Micheal Moorcock that rescued from the used book store. How old you ask? The book was originally priced for $1.95, lol

Brad

Brad:

I got you beat! I have a copy of The Robot Brains that retailed for 95 cents!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Old Skool week here. "Doomfarers of Coramande" by Brian Daley. re-readgin that and it's sequel "Starfollowers Of Coramonde". Just finished "Winds of Limbo" by Micheal Moorcock that rescued from the used book store. How old you ask? The book was originally priced for $1.95, lol

Brad

Brad:

Paul 

I still have some old DAW Elric books, that I bought new for $1.50. I remember being really bent that "Stormbringer" (originally the last Elric book) was $2.25. When yer allowance is only $2.00 that was a big purchase!

Brad

Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

Just started the Scions of Shannara.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Brad:

Paul 

I still have some old DAW Elric books, that I bought new for $1.50. I remember being really bent that "Stormbringer" (originally the last Elric book) was $2.25. When yer allowance is only $2.00 that was a big purchase!

Brad

Brad:

We've been living similar lives – I still have all of the original DAW Elric novels. Those are some of my all-time favorite book covers too, by the way, especially Stormbringer (below)....

Paul

http://www.stormbringer.net/images/elric/elric11.jpg

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Brad:

Paul 

Brad

Brad:

We've been living similar lives – I still have all of the original DAW Elric novels. Those are some of my all-time favorite book covers too, by the way, especially Stormbringer (below)....

Paul

http://www.stormbringer.net/images/elric/elric11.jpg

Paul,

When I was younger I was a pretty fair hand at drawing and I had this exact picture drawn on my high school notebook. The inside cover I drew the "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" cover art (that one was my favorite). Michael Whelan did some cool artwork! I have some of the original Hawkmoon ones as well. Now if I could only become a professional book reviewer we'd be like twins from different mothers, lol!

Brad

New User
krazy-book-NERD
0 Kudos

GO  ASK  ALICE . I  KNOW I  KINDA   LATE   SINCE  IT  CAME   OUT  A  LONG  TIME  AGO  BUT  I   WAS  BEING  A  BOOK  SNOB.   Has   anyone  read  any  of    Ellen  Hopkins'   books  they  are  amazing   and  even  if  they  don't  relate  to  you    you   wil  feel  like  you  are  in  the   characters  shoes

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Finally finished Rides A Dread Legion. I liked it a lot and am looking forward to the next in the Demonwar Saga. I hadn't read Feist before - I'm glad I did.

I am now officially retired, so I have lots more time to read. I just started The Scourge of God by S.M. Stirling. I've read all of his Change books so far, and liked them all. I also read the Nantucket books, and was excited to see the connection between the two in The Sunrise Lands.

I've been switching back and forth between fantasy and sci-fi for the last few months (I don't know why - probably because of this book club) and I think I'm going to take the Shannara trilogy with me to Oregon this summer. That should keep me going for 2 months. I do most of my reading lying in bed, and I don't know if I can hold this weighty tome up, it's a BHG - big honkin' book- but that's the plan.

There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
bookfreak67
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading hit and run very good so far!

Emily

"And I'm suppose to sit by while you date boys and fall in love with someone else, get married...?" His voice tightened. "And meanwhile, I'll die a little bit more every day, watching."

city of glass
B&N Bookseller
Tati-S
0 Kudos

As far as SciFi and Fantasy go, I'm currently rereading Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy, on top of the other three books I've gotten myself into. ^^;;
*Currently reading: Breathers, S.G. Browne/The Dark Half, Stephen King/Ravens, George Dawes Green

Why yes, I am that brand of crazy
Is it NaNo time yet?
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Tati-S wrote:
As far as SciFi and Fantasy go, I'm currently rereading Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy, on top of the other three books I've gotten myself into. ^^;;

I love the Black Jewels stuff! It doesn't get enough credit in my mind. Must have re-read them 3 or 4 times by now. Good call there.

Brad

New User
Filipe
0 Kudos

I'm re-reading Xogum by James Clavell and today I've ended The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. Which, by the way, is much better than the other 2 books in the series. Also reading around 6 Law books for college and re-reading the end of Stephen King's Dark Tower.
New User
LadyBishop
0 Kudos

I am currently reading [Alien Earth: Hope Cometh] by James R. Meadors Jr. -- Alien invasion and a strong butt-kicking female that saves the day; you gotta love that.
Bradinator1

Even MORE of Steven Erickson's Malazan series, I'm on Midnight Tides. 900+ pages oughtta keep me off the streets for a little while. How this guy comes up with this much fresh material for each book is beyond me. Golly.

Brad

Bibliophile
Melhay

Bradinator1 wrote:

Even MORE of Steven Erickson's Malazan series, I'm on Midnight Tides. 900+ pages oughtta keep me off the streets for a little while. How this guy comes up with this much fresh material for each book is beyond me. Golly.

Brad

I keep following your praises of this series and, I think, Paul gave us such a description on this series I had to go look at the books.  These really look GOOD.  I am going to try to slip these inbetween other books here at some point.  I have a pile of books currently to get to so I will add these to it but I really think I need to read these.  Everytime I read your praises I just want to jump to them instead.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/