paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

sifu-hotman wrote:

Couldn't finish Dead Witch Walking, or Fool Moon.

Did finish Misfortune, but that one wasn't a paranormal.

Having a hard time getting into anything right now; don't know why. 

I'm surprised you couldn'y get into DWW – Kim Harrison is usually "money." That is one series that gets exponentially better with each installment though – I wouldn't give upon it.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Working on "The Lees of laughters End" It's a fairly short side story off of Steve Erickson's Malazan series. Honestly, not really gonna recommend it. It's the first Erickson, Malazan book I've had trouble getting into. I've got a couple holds at the library on tap, The latest Pratchett discworld book and Canticle. Those oughtta keep me outta trouble ( no,  really! I can stay out of trouble. Honest.)

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Working on "The Lees of laughters End" It's a fairly short side story off of Steve Erickson's Malazan series. Honestly, not really gonna recommend it. It's the first Erickson, Malazan book I've had trouble getting into. I've got a couple holds at the library on tap, The latest Pratchett discworld book and Canticle. Those oughtta keep me outta trouble ( no,  really! I can stay out of trouble. Honest.)

Brad

Thanks Brad, I've got that one in the pile...and I've been going back and forth about it for months! That's why I love these forums!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Thanks Brad, I've got that one in the pile...and I've been going back and forth about it for months! That's why I love these forums!

Paul

I'm here for ya, Boss. It's just weirdly written. Really disjointed.....if I were to use one word to describe it, I'd have to say "goofy" or "silly". I generally enjoy his sense of humor in the books, but this was a little bit much.

brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

I have been going through Torchwood withdrawls so I finally picked up my first book based off the series and I loved it.  Can't wait for my next one.

Torchwood 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Wheeee! I'm on "Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett. The faculty at the Unseen University fields the Ankh-Morpork version of a soccer team. Now won't that be fun! So far, pretty dang funny.

Brad

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bradinator1 wrote:

Wheeee! I'm on "Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett. The faculty at the Unseen University fields the Ankh-Morpork version of a soccer team. Now won't that be fun! So far, pretty dang funny.

Brad

Brad:
That one is on my pile too – please give me your thoughts when you're done!
Paul
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I just read about two books and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about them.

Ariel 

The Magicians 

Ryan:

I just received my copy of Elegy Beach – the sequel to Ariel – yesterday and I am so excited to read it and Ariel! I've talked to some people in the publishing business and they've specifically brought up Boyett and told me to "read him asap!"

I am thinking about making Elegy Beach a feature in November –it comes out in late September –  so if you read Ariel, let me know what you thought!

Paul 

I am listening to the Mgicians but not loving it. I hear it was kind of like a Harry Potter for adults. So far to me though I think would mostly appeal to YA males. The MC is a kind of unlikable 18-23 or so year old.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

sifu-hotman wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:
Right Now reading 

The Smoke Thief  

Still not sure how I feel about it.

No, I don't think I like it. 

I loved it, but I love a lot of romance in my paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy. It was very popular with paranormal romance people and the series still is.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:
Right Now reading 

The Smoke Thief  

I loved it, but I love a lot of romance in my paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy. It was very popular with paranormal romance people and the series still is.

Definatly fantasy romance.

New User
Brisngr
0 Kudos

I am currently reading The Cleric Quintet   By R.A. Salvatore

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:

Couldn't finish Dead Witch Walking, or Fool Moon.

Did finish Misfortune, but that one wasn't a paranormal.

Having a hard time getting into anything right now; don't know why. 

I'm surprised you couldn'y get into DWW – Kim Harrison is usually "money." That is one series that gets exponentially better with each installment though – I wouldn't give upon it.

Paul

Something about the story setting didn't sit well with me. But I probably will give it another shot in the future. Cause I really wanted to like the book. 
Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:

sifu-hotman wrote:
Right Now reading 

The Smoke Thief  

That's why i didn't like it - too much romance, not enough adventure and fantasy. 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks Bonnie,

I actually read it a month ago and I liked it but I'm still not totally sold on it.  I found it to be a odd mixture of Harry Potter, Narnia, and The Secret History.  I wish there had been more of the Narnia aspect to it actually.  That part of the book wasn't long enough for me and felt rushed.

Bonnie824 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I just read about two books and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about them.

Ariel 

The Magicians 

Ryan:

I just received my copy of Elegy Beach – the sequel to Ariel – yesterday and I am so excited to read it and Ariel! I've talked to some people in the publishing business and they've specifically brought up Boyett and told me to "read him asap!"

I am thinking about making Elegy Beach a feature in November –it comes out in late September –  so if you read Ariel, let me know what you thought!

Paul 

I am listening to the Mgicians but not loving it. I hear it was kind of like a Harry Potter for adults. So far to me though I think would mostly appeal to YA males. The MC is a kind of unlikable 18-23 or so year old.

New User
pusher_robot
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville (because I'm waiting on my next two books to arrive from the states).

I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.  I can't wait for the next 3 to get here!!

Bibliophile
Melhay

Along with reading Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2) and discussing this book I am sneaking in  Avempartha.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I finally read Foundation by Mercedes Lackey.  Typical Valdemar book, which for me is a good thing.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I finally read Foundation by Mercedes Lackey.  Typical Valdemar book, which for me is a good thing.

Ah.....Valdemar. I haven't read a Valdemar novel in years.... One of the most vividly described and fully realized fantasy realms ever imagined.

Paul

Ryan_G

It's a wonderful real and I agree it's very well thought out and executed.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ah.....Valdemar. I haven't read a Valdemar novel in years.... One of the most vividly described and fully realized fantasy realms ever imagined.

Paul