Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Exodus Of The Phoenix  

I won a signed copy of this book at Goodreads.com.  So far here it was I know. A ship/station out near Pluto has lost contact with the Earth. A ship is sent to find it. As they approach Pluto a UFO comes into view. (the year is 2074) Our ship realizes something is wrong and sends a computerized pod to record what is happening and then travel back to Mars to let Earth know what is happening. The UFO destroys the ship. back on earth at a prestigious space academy we meet the most brilliant student ever to walk through its doors. He is graduating in less then a month. All graduates are given jobs on spaceships and get benefits for life. The head chancellor calls a meeting with the professors and tells then that due to gov't cut backs, some students will be placed on reserve and will need to get layman jobs. This is unheard of, these students are the best of the best and many begin training at birth for placement in this academy and career. The staff learns that the most brilliant student is to placed on the reserve list. Why? Because the chancellor hates him..

I am only on page 12ish...will let ya all know ..but it looks interesting so far.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

I finished

Exodus Of The Phoenix 

I really enjoyed this book. There are some great characters, some cool futuristic things and lots of twists and turns..oh and plenty of unanswered questions..waiting on book 2.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

www.darkangel88.com

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

picking up Every Which Way But Dead from the library tomorrow :smileyvery-happy: wahoo! Happy dance! Woot! woot!

Paul,

Would like your opinion on :

Consider Phlebas 

Have you read this? Would you recommend? So far you've been spot on and I'd appreciate your thoughts. :smileywink:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

I took Tiggerbear's advice and read The Name of the Wind and now I am reading

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #2)

Fantastic books!  I can't believe it took me so long to read the first one.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

picking up Every Which Way But Dead from the library tomorrow :smileyvery-happy: wahoo! Happy dance! Woot! woot!

Paul,

Consider Phlebas 

Have you read this? Would you recommend? So far you've been spot on and I'd appreciate your thoughts. :smileywink:

I would recommend anything by Banks – he is a truly visionary (and under-rated) SF writer. Consider Phlebas, I believe, was his first Culture novel so if you haven't read him before, this book is a perfect place to start.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

paulgoatallen wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Paul,

Consider Phlebas 

I would recommend anything by Banks – he is a truly visionary (and under-rated) SF writer. Consider Phlebas, I believe, was his first Culture novel so if you haven't read him before, this book is a perfect place to start.

Paul

Thanks Paul it is .99cents as a featured book for the Nook, so i am going for it. I just picked up Every Which way but Dead from the library :smileyvery-happy: so when i finish it, i will read this book

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Hollowland

I couldn't put this book down. Excellent read!  I am really glad I found this author. I really need the next one in the series to come out soon. This is a book I will re-read.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

pen21 wrote:

Hollowland

I couldn't put this book down. Excellent read!  I am really glad I found this author. I really need the next one in the series to come out soon. This is a book I will re-read.

I know what you mean.  I think she's great.  And I'm glad you posted this.  I wasn't aware of this book.  Just downloaded it.:smileyhappy:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Reader 2
Cookie_Faerie
0 Kudos

Just finished, ten minutes ago, The Iron Palace by Morgan Howell. Amazing book. Read the series! Its worth every minute.

Currently Reading

City of Night

Loved the first book and want to continue reading the series.

New User
TamiJ
0 Kudos

I found a cool sci-fi fantasy adventure about this teen girl who discovers an teenaged alien boy stranded and hiding in the forest behind her house - -he looks completely human except for his odd colored eyes. He also has other powers... The book is really good so far...its drawing me into their strong connection and makes you wonder if he'll ever be able to go home...especially after meeting her.

"Forbidden Kind" by Temple Troy

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I just came back from my first trip to my local B&N in months. While wandering the re-configured aisles I came across a new Sci-Fi series that looks really fun. I bought the two books that comprise the series so far for a price of $7.19 per book thanks to my 10% membership discount. Yep, it's a better price than you'll find on-line. The first book is 

Touched by an Alien, and the second book is 

Alien in the Family. These book look like undiluted fun. If I like em as much as I expect I will, I'll post mu impressions of both books in the recommended thread.  

Frequent Contributor
Lilo02

I'm currently reading Twelve by Jasper Kent. It's an interesting historical science fiction that is going to be a total of 4 books that takes place in Russia from the late 1700's to the early or mid 1800's.

"If it doesn't collect snow, or has not recently erupted, IT'S NOT A REAL MOUNTAIN!"
New User
fantamar
0 Kudos

I am currently reading :The Ship of Destiny" by Robin Hobb.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I am currently rereading Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe books

Scout's Progress

Local Custom

Partners in Necessity

Plan B

I Dare

Saltation

Mouse and Dragon

Fledgling

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
silverfairie
0 Kudos

I am reading The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory.

I ver much enjoy this book. It seems to be a coming of age and feeling out of social standing. Look forward to reading the entire series. 

"If only.
Those must be the two saddest words in the world."
— Mercedes Lackey
pen21

This is  a good series. Behemoth was just as good as Leviathan.

The third book in the Leviathan series, called Goliath, in October 2011!

I included a piece of the art work by Keith Thompson from Leviathan below.

Behemoth  

New User
Becktemba
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading:

Ambu War Chronicles

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Great Picture pen..Scared me a Little lol..The Artwork is Beautiful though..:robotsurprised:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer