Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2

Re: What are you currently reading?

Okay... so I just went through the last like 4 pages of this thread... wrote down all the names of the books that sound good.... and now I have a list with about 60 to 75 books on it.... I am going to be one busy bee this summer. AND to make matters WORSE, I have this syndrome called "Read-it-now-I-must-own-it-itus"... so if I get all these books from the library, my sickness will require me to buy all of them... and to make matters WORSE, I have close to no money for spending. I am going to go insane. I think this site it bad for my health... at least I'll be happy and reading endless books when I have to be admitted to an institution.
"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
dhaupt
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:
Okay... so I just went through the last like 4 pages of this thread... wrote down all the names of the books that sound good.... and now I have a list with about 60 to 75 books on it.... I am going to be one busy bee this summer. AND to make matters WORSE, I have this syndrome called "Read-it-now-I-must-own-it-itus"... so if I get all these books from the library, my sickness will require me to buy all of them... and to make matters WORSE, I have close to no money for spending. I am going to go insane. I think this site it bad for my health... at least I'll be happy and reading endless books when I have to be admitted to an institution.
I am literally reading this first thing in the morning. And you made my day!!
It's exactly how I feel about books and reading. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:
I have this syndrome called "Read-it-now-I-must-own-it-itus"...

Avid:

I have this same affliction. I guess we should thank God it isn't complicated by some kind of rash... :smileywink:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

LOL:smileyvery-happy: I think we all have that sickness LOL!!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

avidreader2 wrote: 
... AND to make matters WORSE, I have this syndrome called "Read-it-now-I-must-own-it-itus"... so if I get all these books from the library, my sickness will require me to buy all of them...

Thats alright.  My son got tools for Christmas and I am making my husband spend quality time with him... making ME a book shelf for all the books I must purchase and keep (which is growing in number).:smileytongue:  They help me remember what I have read.  I like to remember the stories I enjoy and I seem to enjoy all I read from this site.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 02-27-2009 10:27 AM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

avidreader2 wrote: 
... AND to make matters WORSE, I have this syndrome called "Read-it-now-I-must-own-it-itus"... so if I get all these books from the library, my sickness will require me to buy all of them...

Thats alright.  My son got tools for Christmas and I am making my husband spend quality time with him... making ME a book shelf for all the books I must purchase and keep (which is growing in number).:smileytongue:  They help me remember what I have read.  I like to remember the stories I enjoy and I seem to enjoy all I read from this site.

Mel

HAHAHA!! My dad is trying to do the same thing for me... but our house, as I affectionately dubbed it, is a "cracker box", so I have basically filled every nook and cranny with books. My dad loves that I like to read, but he always says, "Sweetie... why don't you just rent books from the library so you can GIVE THEM BACK? Our poor house can't hold much more... not to mention, once you go off to college, you'll have to choose which books to take with you..." (this is where I interupt) "Dad... I won't have to choose, because you love me and you'll help me cart all my books with me!! Because you love me... right daddy?" (this is where I do my most powerful "I am your only daughter and youngest child" puppy eye action)"... I guess you're right, Punkin...*sigh*... alright... where do you want to NEXT book shelf... *mumbles under breath* if I can fit it..."
 Ah... the power of being the youngest... here's a shout out to all you youngest children out there... USE YOUR POWERS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! You can always get that extra bookshelf, better bedroom, or that new book series if you just use your powers!! 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Mel

Mel,

Just have them keep on going, you'll need MORE than one bookshelf. I have two, and they are "at capacity". While they're at it, I could really use another bookcase too...

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Mel

Mel,

Just have them keep on going, you'll need MORE than one bookshelf. I have two, and they are "at capacity". While they're at it, I could really use another bookcase too...

Brad

I am now taking orders!! How many book shelves do we need?? 

My husband and son love spending time together so it gives them quality time to be creative in their way, and help the only woman in the house (me) with what she wants...  As long as I am happy, we all are happy...:smileywink:

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I have always dreamed of having one of those libraries in my house... like the circle room with books shelves (full of books mind you... no empty space) with one fo those awesome slidding ladders. All of the books would be fiction of course :smileywink:, and I would LIVE in that room... I would have all the books, a comfy couch, a fire place, and a nice TV... and a really good sterio sytem in that room... and a coffee maker!

That is my happy place... both in my mind, and in reality... if I could have it in reality that is...

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

My wonderful husband just finished our most recent new "bookcase" - it's 8 feet by 9 feet, and is filling up fast. There are (full) bookcases all over the house - we are both crazy readers, and neither of us can bear to part with a book. It's a recipe for disaster, or so the younger son says. He is a product of his times, and finds books to be cumbersome dust catchers which require maintenence, storage and an attention span. We will never agree on the subject, even though I tell him that when the Fire Dies, his audio books won't even make good fuel.

What's everyone reading now? I have this huge gap where Rothfuss' sequel was supposed to be, and nothing is grabbing me. I'm torn between The Suicide Collectors and Lamentation - votes????

There are more of us than you think.
New User
Doctor_Who316
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Wizards First Rule, the first book in the Sword Of Truth Series.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

My wonderful husband just finished our most recent new "bookcase" - it's 8 feet by 9 feet, and is filling up fast. There are (full) bookcases all over the house - we are both crazy readers, and neither of us can bear to part with a book. It's a recipe for disaster, or so the younger son says. He is a product of his times, and finds books to be cumbersome dust catchers which require maintenence, storage and an attention span. We will never agree on the subject, even though I tell him that when the Fire Dies, his audio books won't even make good fuel.

What's everyone reading now? I have this huge gap where Rothfuss' sequel was supposed to be, and nothing is grabbing me. I'm torn between The Suicide Collectors and Lamentation - votes????

I would go for Lamentation. I read a bit of it last time I was at B&N, and I was sucked it. Unfortunately, I was not able to buy it (I was saving up for a Nikon D90, which I now have. :smileyvery-happy:), but given that I had money, I would immediately go to buy it. It was intriguing.
And to keep the spirit of the thread alive, I am reading Darwin's Black Box and The Hobbit. Both are books I own and have not read in a few months, and they were looking like they thought I hated them, with all the dust all over them, so I decided to give them a read.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Thanks, Avid 2, for the recommendation, but now I have to find out about the title you mentioned, Darwin's Black Box - sounds veddy interesting. By the way, I love your fruity chapstick advice. BUT, when camping in Canada, DO wear that nasty greasy stuff the guide gives you, or you will be mauled by deer flies, and they HURT. I actually saw a moose walking across the bottom of a lake, UNDER OUR BOAT, when I was up there. So cool!

Thanks again.

There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Thanks, Avid 2, for the recommendation, but now I have to find out about the title you mentioned, Darwin's Black Box - sounds veddy interesting. By the way, I love your fruity chapstick advice. BUT, when camping in Canada, DO wear that nasty greasy stuff the guide gives you, or you will be mauled by deer flies, and they HURT. I actually saw a moose walking across the bottom of a lake, UNDER OUR BOAT, when I was up there. So cool!

Thanks again.

Darwin's Black Box is a very very good book in my personal opinion. It is one of those books, however, that you either love or hate, depending completely upon your world view. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, especially those who are trying to find a scientific contradiction to Evolution as opposed to a religious contradiction. 
And yes, deer flies are from the devil. The little things are a pain in the butt. The hurt and they're a little annoying. But let me tell you... sand gnats are worse... much much worse. Savannah, Georgia is chock-a-block full of them. They get in your mouth, up your nose, in your ears, and basically ANYWHERE little bugs are not suppose to get. There are some that bite and make your whole body itch like CRAZY. So, if anyone is planning on going to Savannah, get yourself about 25 cans of bug spray and bathe in it every morning.

New User
Belle_Papillon
0 Kudos

I just finished reading "Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman.  This books is well deserving of its Newberry Honor.  Adults and cThe Graveyard Book  hildren alike will enjoy this book by master storyteller, Neil Gaiman!
New User
strangledangel
0 Kudos

i am currenlty reading The Host by stephanie Mayer. its amazing im almost done trying to read it slowly now bc i never want it to end i would recomend this book to science fiction and fantsy readers mostly to women theres so many things abou this book to keep you interested.

if you liked twilight you will like this too

shes an amaxing author 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

strangledangel wrote:

i am currenlty reading The Host by stephanie Mayer. its amazing im almost done trying to read it slowly now bc i never want it to end i would recomend this book to science fiction and fantsy readers mostly to women theres so many things abou this book to keep you interested.

shes an amaxing author 

Strangledangel,

You are right  she is an amazing author and we have talked about the book quite a bit in Paranormal/Urban Fantasy when it first came out.  I'm glad that you liked the book and I am waiting to see what else she will have out.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

strangledangel wrote:

shes an amaxing author 

Strangledangel,

You are right  she is an amazing author and we have talked about the book quite a bit in Paranormal/Urban Fantasy when it first came out.  I'm glad that you liked the book and I am waiting to see what else she will have out.

Toni

That books looks really good. My library system sucks though, so I would have to buy it... but I have no money... so... I can't read it.... DANG IT. Maybe someone I know has it.... hmmmm... 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

strangledangel wrote:

shes an amaxing author 

I thought The Host was way better than Twilight – better writing, tighter plotlines, more realistic characters, great ending... 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

strangledangel wrote:

shes an amaxing author 

I thought The Host was way better than Twilight – better writing, tighter plotlines, more realistic characters, great ending... 

Paul 

Yeah her writing getting better.