Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

DragonHarper?

I've never heard of that.... on a scale of one to ten, how good is it?

DragonHarper is a Pern novel that was written by Todd McCaffrey, Anne McCaffrey's son and I would give it a 91/2.  The first Pern novel  that he wrote was with his Mother and was titled DragonKin.  Todd has been his mothers first reader since he learned to read.  He has also been her sounding board so that he is fully aware of her world.  They have been very well recieved and with Anne's age she was happy to turn that world over to her son.  She is still involved just not doing all the writing.  I haven't gotten around to DragonHeart yet but I will when I finish the reading I must do for reviews that I have committed to in the last couple of weeks.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Correspondent
Clippership14

I was laid up and sick with a nasty cold all of Thanksgiving week so I took my younger sister's suggestion and read The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. Granted, it's a middle-grade book but hey, I'm a parent, and I like to read what my kids might be someday. Luckily it was a very entertaining read and I enjoyed it. The Greek God Ares as a biker was especially funny. The best comparison I could give is this book is it's like a Greek version of Harry Potter in the sense that you have the Greek gods still at it in modern times. The half-mortal children even have their own special summer camp, Camp Half-Blood. Definitely a fun way to introduce Greek mythology to teens.
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

I'm reading Orson Scott  Card's Empire.  I have read other books by Card I liked, and wasn't prepared to jump into the middle of the series for December.  So far I like it.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

I just started The Name of the Wind - I'm already hooked. I've read maybe 25 pages and I'm looking for the next book. Rothfuss is my new favorite flavor.
There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
I just started The Name of the Wind - I'm already hooked. I've read maybe 25 pages and I'm looking for the next book. Rothfuss is my new favorite flavor.

Is that not INSANE how hooked you get form the very get go??? It's great! I am waiting anxiously for the next one!!! Why is there not a Name of the Wind thread?.... cause there should be.
"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Is that not INSANE how hooked you get form the very get go??? It's great! I am waiting anxiously for the next one!!! Why is there not a Name of the Wind thread?.... cause there should be.

(chough) but there is. I'll once again*bump it up. (chuckle) Got to get you guys to check beyond page one every so often.

Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

The Name of the Wind

I finished off this book last night and really enjoyed it.  I found it slow starting.  You could see the artistry of the story through literary elements such as the three silences.  Noting the writing style is a two edged sword to me.  First I appreciate it-- like a poem.  But it can distract my ADD brain.  I need to be pulled into the story or artistry isn't’t enough for me.   But once this story got going the artistry blended into the story itself and I was so hooked.  I found this book to be lyrical-- sort of like De Lint, and exciting.   My greatest praise for a book is to say I saw the book unfold in my mind.  This book Unfolded.  Kvothe and Deena and Bast and all the characters breathed, and so did the magic. 

Wonderful. 

Now I am on to my hefty TBR pile.  Next up: Ghost Radio (Gout), Mistborn 1 (Sanderson), Every Last Drop (Huston),  and Shaman’s Crossing (Hobb). 

Lily   
Dude, Where's My Book!
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

(chough) but there is. I'll once again*bump it up. (chuckle) Got to get you guys to check beyond page one every so often.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

....I'm an idiot.... 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

....I'm an idiot.... 

Nahhh  I'm just wondering if I should have labeled it in BOLD. 

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

....I'm an idiot.... 

HAHAHHAHA! That would probably help!
 What page IS it on, anyway? 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Red Seas Under Red Skies- Scott Lynch. Locke Lamora, the second book. I really like these so far.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Brad-

Just taking time out to mention that I love your sign-off line. Ashe is a family favorite here, and that line is a regular movie line in the ongoing game.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

....I'm an idiot.... 

HAHAHHAHA! That would probably help!
 What page IS it on, anyway? 

First page1 now, and if we can ever really get a discussion going mabey it'll stay there.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Brad-

Just taking time out to mention that I love your sign-off line. Ashe is a family favorite here, and that line is a regular movie line in the ongoing game.

Page,

I couldn't find a better tag line if tried for a book club post. I work with a LOT of Ashe fans. He's my IM avatar for my work IM. That whole scene in the cemetary looks like the sort of baloney my old gaming group would have pulled, lol!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
zamsag
0 Kudos

I am re reading Mossflower for entertainment and Siddhartha for class.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Welcome, zamsag-

Haven't heard of Mossflower. What's it?

Siddhartha? I don't have the energy for that one again.

Contributor
zamsag
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Welcome, zamsag-

Haven't heard of Mossflower. What's it?

Siddhartha? I don't have the energy for that one again.

Here it is Clicky

Correspondent
Clippership14

Just completed reading the other books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (that are out):

The Sea of Monsters

The Titan's Curse

The Battle of the Labyrinth

Very fun series and a great way to re-introduce young people to Greek mythology.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

Just completed reading the other books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (that are out):

The Sea of Monsters

The Titan's Curse

Very fun series and a great way to re-introduce young people to Greek mythology.

Greek Mythology is the BEST! I've read the Iliad and the Odessy four times... and I have three other mythology books that are GREAT for plane rides or car trips... I am a sucker for all things Greek, what can I say.... :smileytongue:

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

Clippership14 wrote:

The Sea of Monsters

The Titan's Curse

Greek Mythology is the BEST! I've read the Iliad and the Odessy four times... and I have three other mythology books that are GREAT for plane rides or car trips... I am a sucker for all things Greek, what can I say.... :smileytongue:

I haven't read the Odessy in...well more years than I can remember, but reading this series of books brought back a lot of the characters from the Odessy to my mind. Greek mythology is a fascinating creature. These books deal a lot with the Titans too and many many monsters. (Oh, I should probably re-mention the first book in the series is The Lightning Thief to tie everything together and avoid confusion.)