Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I Just finishedLamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)  

I am currently reading Something from the Nightside (Nightside Series #1)  

Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I am reading three of Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx books.  Trouble Magnet which I will follow with Patrimony and Flinx Transcendent that just came out this month.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

lilithesque wrote:

Excellent series.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Rides a Dread Legion by Raymond Feist- So far, so good---I'll let you know.
There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

lilithesque wrote:

Excellent series.

Tiggerbear,

Absolutely!  Something From the Nightside was an excellent book.  I save quotes from books I find funny or profound and I started marking quotes I wanted to write down and there were ones every couple pages.  Funny or profound phrases or descriptions in a very un-profound book.  I love this about fantasy.  When you find an author who has a gift with language, but doesn't get bogged down creating profound or dense books. 

The occasional dense and profound book is good, but I like it sprinkled in with kick ass action and characters that sizzle.  This book had it. 

I am looking forward to reading more from this series.

Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

LOL I am a little behind getting caught up on all these great recommendations.

I just finished The Name of the Wind and it was Excellent.  I cant wait for book two to come out.

Next I will be starting Eon, Dragoneye Reborn.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

lordfeyr wrote:

LOL I am a little behind getting caught up on all these great recommendations.

I just finished The Name of the Wind and it was Excellent.  I cant wait for book two to come out.

Next I will be starting Eon, Dragoneye Reborn.

I think Paul is going to have this as a feature in August.  You will have to join us for the discussion!!!

It seems many have read this book.  Hopefully, many will join in on the discussion for it.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

lilithesque wrote:
I Just finishedLamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)  

I hopw you enjoyed Lamentation.  It is a really good book. 

It looks like his second book, Canticle, will be out October 13, 2009.  In case you would be looking forward to it.

paulgoatallen

Melhay wrote:

I think Paul is going to have this as a feature in August.  You will have to join us for the discussion!!!

It seems many have read this book.  Hopefully, many will join in on the discussion for it.

Melissa

YES. YES. YES. AUGUST'S FEATURED TITLE WILL BE

THE NAME OF THE WIND BY PATRICK ROTHFUSS!

The Name of the Wind is one of the best fantasy novels you will ever read – and it was a debut novel.... amazing. Here's my B&N review if you want a teaser....

The Barnes & Noble Review
The debut novel from Patrick Rothfuss -- the first installment of an epic fantasy trilogy entitled the Kingkiller Chronicle -- not only lives up to its extraordinary pre-press hype (DAW president Elizabeth Wollheim called it "the most brilliant first fantasy novel I have read in over 30 years as an editor"), it surpasses it. When fantasy fans begin reading The Name of the Wind, they should be fully prepared to lose all contact with the outside world while immersed in this highly original and mesmerizing tale of magic, love, and adventure.

The story revolves around Kvothe, an enigmatic red-haired innkeeper who, as he shares his incredible life story with a renowned scribe, turns out to be much more than he appears. Born into a family of nomadic court performers, Kvothe's unconventional education was broadened by spending time with fellow travelers like Abenthy, an elderly arcanist whose knowledge included, among other things, knowing the name of the wind. After his parents are brutally murdered by mythical beings known as the Chandrian, Kvothe vows to learn more about the godlike group, and after suffering through years of homelessness, he finally gets his chance when he is admitted into the prestigious University. But the pursuit of arcane knowledge brings with it unforeseen dangers, as the young student quickly learns�

With the release of his first novel, Rothfuss (who has already been compared to the likes of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and George R. R. Martin) is poised to be crowned the new king of epic fantasy. The Name of the Wind won't just impress longtime fantasy fans; it will absolutely blow them away -- an unprecedented, utterly breathtaking storytelling tour de force. Paul Goat Allen

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

FINALLY!

Contributor
Fiction_Fanatic_22031
0 Kudos

I'm readingDragonflight  my first Anne McCaffrey. I had really high hopes going into it but I'm about 1/2 way through at the moment and not really very thrilled.
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Yes I did very much enjoy Lamantation.  I was just writing a post about how much and I lost it in cyberspace, but it made me realize how much deeper this writing did affect me.  The philisophical messages I got from it.  I will actually write it up and post it to the Lamantation thread, and I am looking forward to Canticle. 

Lily

Melhay wrote:

It looks like his second book, Canticle, will be out October 13, 2009.  In case you would be looking forward to it.

Dude, Where's my book!
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

lilithesque wrote:

Yes I did very much enjoy Lamantation.  I was just writing a post about how much and I lost it in cyberspace, but it made me realize how much deeper this writing did affect me.  The philisophical messages I got from it.  I will actually write it up and post it to the Lamantation thread, and I am looking forward to Canticle. 

Lily

Melhay wrote:

Glad to see you enjoyed it.  There is a whole bunch of us looking forward to October for Canticle.  I'll take a look at your post in Lamentation later after you get to post it.  We all had a lot of thoughts on that book.  We all seemed to really enjoyed it.

Melissa

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I'm working my way through "Memories of Ice" by Steven Erickson. Part of his Malazan series. These books have been some of the toughest reading I've done in a long time, but in a good way. There is a ton of stuff going on in these and you really have to pay attention or you'll get lost in a hurry. On a lighter note just finished "A Nameless Witch" by A. Lee Martinez. VERY funny!! The demonic duck is hilarious!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

I'm working my way through "Memories of Ice" by Steven Erickson. Part of his Malazan series. These books have been some of the toughest reading I've done in a long time, but in a good way. There is a ton of stuff going on in these and you really have to pay attention or you'll get lost in a hurry. On a lighter note just finished "A Nameless Witch" by A. Lee Martinez. VERY funny!! The demonic duck is hilarious!

Brad

demonic duck?! (raised eyebrow) Interesting, tell me more please.

Nadine

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

You can read some of it here. Newt, the duck is introduced around page 20. They are close companions throughout the book.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

You can read some of it here. Newt, the duck is introduced around page 20. They are close companions throughout the book.

Thanks, that's pretty funny. I'll have to pick it up now.

Contributor
qwertbook82
0 Kudos

I am in the middle of three books:

Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem

re-reading the Death Gate Cycle (Dragon Wing) by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

qwertbook82 wrote:

I am in the middle of three books:

Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem

re-reading the Death Gate Cycle (Dragon Wing) by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie

Did you read the first book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, The Blade Itself? I was wondering what you thought of that one since we are considering it as our "Reader's Choice."

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-31-2009 07:27 PM
Contributor
qwertbook82

I did read The Blade Itself and I liked it. I probably would have liked it a lot more, but my expectations were really high after all of the hype about it.