Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Re: What are you currently reading?

Melhay wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Even MORE of Steven Erickson's Malazan series, I'm on Midnight Tides. 900+ pages oughtta keep me off the streets for a little while. How this guy comes up with this much fresh material for each book is beyond me. Golly.

Brad

I keep following your praises of this series and, I think, Paul gave us such a description on this series I had to go look at the books.  These really look GOOD.  I am going to try to slip these inbetween other books here at some point.  I have a pile of books currently to get to so I will add these to it but I really think I need to read these.  Everytime I read your praises I just want to jump to them instead.

Mel,

Just be prepared, these are as complex a read as I've come up against. The man is constantly working several storylines in each book like a guy juggling chainsaws. It has a very BIG world and a very complex pantheon of magic and demi-gods. It's crazy stuff.

Brad 

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Even MORE of Steven Erickson's Malazan series, I'm on Midnight Tides. 900+ pages oughtta keep me off the streets for a little while. How this guy comes up with this much fresh material for each book is beyond me. Golly.

Brad

I keep following your praises of this series and, I think, Paul gave us such a description on this series I had to go look at the books.  These really look GOOD.  I am going to try to slip these inbetween other books here at some point.  I have a pile of books currently to get to so I will add these to it but I really think I need to read these.  Everytime I read your praises I just want to jump to them instead.

Mel,

Just be prepared, these are as complex a read as I've come up against. The man is constantly working several storylines in each book like a guy juggling chainsaws. It has a very BIG world and a very complex pantheon of magic and demi-gods. It's crazy stuff.

Brad 

I read part of the first chapter in the info. for the books when I pulled it up on B&N to look at it.  It looked like he really got into a tremendous amount of detail.  I think I might like it.

a guy juggling chainsaws...  That is almost a scary thought! Intriguing but scary thought.smileywink:

Now I have to read these.  Your praises seem to stand out to me on these books.  I will have to read them when I can concentrate uninterupted.  But they sound very captivating.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Oh gosh, you both just snared my attention to these books. Sounds like my type of read. I'm going to bump them to the top of my list.

At the moment I'm digesting A Wizard of Earthsea by leGuin and for fun I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter. The latter isn't fantasy or probably isn't technically in the sci-fi range. But where do spy school stories fit with all their gizmos?

Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

I just finished the War of the Ancients trilogy in the Warcraft series and it was actually pretty good. Found all three of them in a store a few weeks back and picked them up. I would say you have to be a fan of the games to really enjoy them though. There's only so much background you can put in 3 books.

I've been keeping up with The Anvil of Time in the Dragonlance world as well, picked up the 4th book but haven't read it yet. The first three were great though, plugged some holes in Dragonlance history and made a few new ones as well. :smileyhappy: Of course there are so many Dragonlance books they all can blur together after a while anyway. Still if your a fan of the series I think you'd enjoy them. 

Bradinator1

Clippership14 wrote:

Oh gosh, you both just snared my attention to these books. Sounds like my type of read. I'm going to bump them to the top of my list.

At the moment I'm digesting A Wizard of Earthsea by leGuin and for fun I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter. The latter isn't fantasy or probably isn't technically in the sci-fi range. But where do spy school stories fit with all their gizmos?

Gizmos= Sci Fi to me. You want REAL spy gizmos? Simon Green's Eddie Drood series is sort of a sci-fi homage to James Bond. It's sort of out there but yeah, a lot of fun an dspy mayhem!

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm getting ready to rereadFirst King of Shannara  in prep for next months selection, The Sword of Shannara.  I've read all of the book millions of times but I can always use an excuse to do it again.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Fiction_Fanatic_22031
0 Kudos

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn Series #3)  I'm really enjoying. I wanted to catch to particpate in the disucssions - but can't seem to find where the posts are - can anyone point me in the right direction?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Fiction_Fanatic_22031 wrote:
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn Series #3)  I'm really enjoying. I wanted to catch to particpate in the disucssions - but can't seem to find where the posts are - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sure can. The Hero of Ages thread. Feel free to just jump in and contribute to the discussion. I'm sure there are people who might join you.

Contributor
EworMot
0 Kudos

I finished and enjoyed Red Mars and have started Green MarsGreen Mars
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

EworMot wrote:
I finished and enjoyed Red Mars and have started Green MarsGreen Mars

YES! I love these novels – KSR is one of the most underappreciated SF writers ever! Have you read his The Years of Rice and Salt? It's a classic – his best work, in my opinion...

Paul 

The Years of Rice and Salt 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
MicheleMN
0 Kudos

Just treated myself to reading Variable Star, by Robert A. Heinlein and Spider Robinson.  Still in the afterglow, but I can definitely recommend it!
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Clippership14 wrote:

Gizmos= Sci Fi to me. You want REAL spy gizmos? Simon Green's Eddie Drood series is sort of a sci-fi homage to James Bond. It's sort of out there but yeah, a lot of fun an dspy mayhem!

Brad

Thanks, Brad! =) I'm spy mode at the moment, so having more to read along those lines is helpful.

Agh! Too much to read and not enough hours in the day!

I love this thread because of all the great suggestions, but oh my, I'm afraid some days to read the posts because of all the books I have to add to my reading list.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Clippership14 wrote:

Brad

Thanks, Brad! =) I'm spy mode at the moment, so having more to read along those lines is helpful.

Agh! Too much to read and not enough hours in the day!

I love this thread because of all the great suggestions, but oh my, I'm afraid some days to read the posts because of all the books I have to add to my reading list.

Clip,

I feel yer pain. My book budget has tripled cuase of these boards. If only my income matched that! Hope the suggestion helps feed your "inner spy". Sorry if I added to yer pile.

Brad

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MicheleMN wrote:
Just treated myself to reading Variable Star, by Robert A. Heinlein and Spider Robinson.  Still in the afterglow, but I can definitely recommend it!

A classic – great call, Michele!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
mattsnyder
0 Kudos

Up next on my reading list (working on a naval historical fiction book right now) is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. I've heard great things about this one, and I'm looking forward to it.

The Name of the Wind  
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

mattsnyder wrote:

Up next on my reading list (working on a naval historical fiction book right now) is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. I've heard great things about this one, and I'm looking forward to it.

The Name of the Wind  

There has been a lot of wonderful things mentioned about this book.  Actually, in August it is going to be one of the featured books.  Some of us really like to break the books down and really talk about it and what we think will happen through the book.  Please, make sure you stop in on the thread and join us.  It would be great to have many more join in with us.

And, by the way, welcome to the site!!  It is great to see new comers!!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mattsnyder wrote:

The Name of the Wind  

Welcome, Matt!

Oh, you have heard right The Name of the Wind is an excellent read! It is actually going to be one of the book features in August so you should stop by and comment! We would love to hear your thoughts! (Whoops, it looks like Mel beat me to the punch, ha ha!) Have fun around the boards ! 

Krista

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-02-2009 10:30 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Welcome, Matt!

Oh, you have heard right The Name of the Wind is an excellent read! It is actually going to be one of the book features in August so you should stop by and comment! We would love to hear your thoughts! (Whoops, it looks like Mel beat me to the punch, ha ha!) Have fun around the boards ! 

Krista

LOL!! Here we go again posting at the same time.  :smileyvery-happy:  Great minds think alike!!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Welcome, Matt!

Krista

LOL!! Here we go again posting at the same time.  :smileyvery-happy:  Great minds think alike!!

I know right! We always do that it seems! LOL!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Contributor
SoCalMom

A while back I asked for help finding the next great book.  Well, the one book that kept coming up was The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I just want to say to those who recommended that to me....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it.

Now, I just can't wait for the other two to come out.(not soon enough for me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I realize, of course, that it is not true logic to argue--"The world is not as we think it is--therefore everything we think impossible is possible in it." Even if it be different, it is governed by law. The truly impossible is that which is outside law, and as nothing can be outside law, the impossible cannot exist.