Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Tigger

that was the other book I almost got today, but I couldn't figure out if it was part of a series or not.  I don't think it was, but I wasn't quite certain.  How did you like it and?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear

If it's a series it's the start. And having finished it it, without giving spoilers, I'm not sure that it could be continued.

"Whitechapel Gods" is THE darkest steampunk book I have ever come across. While the begining after chapter one is a little difficult. Stick with it and then at 1/3 mark hold on for dear life, cause it picks up pitch like a rollercoaster. The flavor is a bit like Dickens, Carrol, and Wilde have a love child with Poe. I would love for a few anime directors to get a hold of it, it would be fantastic drawn.

If you like hardcore fresh books or steampunk, get it. Well worth the 9 bucks.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Tig, thanks I'm might go after work and pick it up.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sandikal wrote:
I'm reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  It's about historians looking for Dracula and takes place over several decades.  It's really long and really dense.  Next up is "Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.
But did you like it?
I read it when it was first published and I thought although it was a bit wordy but wonderful. 

Wordsmith
Chomp

dhaupt wrote:

Sandikal wrote:
I'm reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  It's about historians looking for Dracula and takes place over several decades.  It's really long and really dense.  Next up is "Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.
But did you like it?
I read it when it was first published and I thought although it was a bit wordy but wonderful. 

I loved The Historian. I hope we'll eventually see something else from her.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

I'm reading Mistborn and Darth Bane: Rule of Two.
Contributor
SpiderSoccer
0 Kudos

Currently reading E.E. Knight's Way of the Wolf. Started off a little slow but turns out really good.  I really like this board, after seeing this thread I think I will pick up the Historian.

paulgoatallen

TiggerBear wrote:

If it's a series it's the start. And having finished it it, without giving spoilers, I'm not sure that it could be continued.

"Whitechapel Gods" is THE darkest steampunk book I have ever come across. While the begining after chapter one is a little difficult. Stick with it and then at 1/3 mark hold on for dear life, cause it picks up pitch like a rollercoaster. The flavor is a bit like Dickens, Carrol, and Wilde have a love child with Poe. I would love for a few anime directors to get a hold of it, it would be fantastic drawn.

Whitechapel Gods rocked! Wasn't that soooo surprisingly good, Tig?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toni

I have a question.  I am rereading  Storm Breaking by Mercedes Lackey right now.  On the back cover it says "If they don't find a way to stop these magical vibrations they will culminate in another Cataclysm - this time destroying their world for good."

Now according to my understanding these mage storms are a result of the original Cataclysm being so strong that if all the energy had been released at once the world would have been destroyed.  So the energy was split in half and now the second half is echoing back on itself.  Now I know that if nothing were to be done that the original sights of the two explosions would be destroyed (killing everyone there).  But would the rest of the world experience the same thing they did the first time?  Am I understanding wrong or is the published overstating the situation on the back cover for suspense?

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 11-05-2008 10:25 PM

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Florgnayr,

No you are not misunderstanding it.  If they don't find something that will break up the energy and more evenly distirbute the magical energy then it will destroy all life because the return waves are stronger then the orginal waves were.  After you finish this book I would suggest you read Owlflight, Owlsight, and Owlknight to give you an idea of how things are after the Storm series.  I hope that I have not spoiled the book for you.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

No you didn't spoil it for me I already own and have read all those books too.  I just wasn't sure if the back cover overstated things or if I was misunderstanging it wrong.  Thank you for clearing it up for me.

TiggerBear

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Whitechapel Gods rocked! Wasn't that soooo surprisingly good, Tig?

Paul 

Well in all honesty I was originally suduced by the title and the cover art. Bought it material unkknown figuring that if the book was half as good as the cover it was worth the 9 bucks. 

So beyond expectations!!!

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I finished Moonrise by Ben Bova. I give it a 5 out of 10. Loved the science behind the story.

I've started Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. So far it's been easy to slip back into the Inkworld and I'm enjoying my stay. Though is it just me or are there author undertones that she doesn't like fan fiction or fans who claim to know books better than the author? She's done a fantastic job with the character of Orpheus; piling on him many villianous traits along these lines.

Frequent Contributor
Vinternatt
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

I've started Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. So far it's been easy to slip back into the Inkworld and I'm enjoying my stay. Though is it just me or are there author undertones that she doesn't like fan fiction or fans who claim to know books better than the author? She's done a fantastic job with the character of Orpheus; piling on him many villianous traits along these lines.

I really liked the series and finished Inkdeath about a month ago. When you mention the undertones I have to agree.Orpheus is a very good picture of a fan who loves and uses a book so much he nearly thinks it is his. I don't know if Cornelia Funke has had a similar problem as Fengolio or if it's just a general dislike of fans believing to know books better than the author.

"Since when have fish been able to plan?" "Since they started sinking boats" - The Swarm
Frequent Contributor
Vinternatt
0 Kudos

Did by the way finish A Great and Terrible beauty by Libba Bray (I think) It reminded me slightly of The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein, but only slightly. It was a really good book, and I'll have to look for the next one.
"Since when have fish been able to plan?" "Since they started sinking boats" - The Swarm
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

I liked your quote from The Swarm - I enjoyed the book a lot. Currently reading The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I've loved the British style of writing ever since Rebirth by John Wyndham. (Day of the Triffids) Looking forward to the Rothfuss series, by the way. Happy reading!!
There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
Vinternatt
0 Kudos

I really liked The Swarm as well. The tsunami that hit Norway scared me a bit, it was quite a description of places I know. I've never been sure of what genre it is. Is it science fiction?
Contributor
Questor
0 Kudos

Currently reading "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.  So far, not very impressed.  Looking forward to getting to "Altered Carbon" by Richard K Morgan,  which is next in my TBR pile.
http://www.stuartclark.net
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Toni wrote--

I finished The Stormcaller and man was that a great read.  I have been reccommending it to people I know.  Even loaning to one of my Nephews to read.

Hi Toni,

I found two books with the title, The Stormcaller, who is the author of the book that you read?  Thanks in advance.  :smileyhappy: 

Phyllis
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

I would definitely say science fiction genre for The Swarm. There is a lot of hard science in it. The whole premise of the methane clathrates is real. The bits about the blow-outs and the "light water" are also real. One of the best explanations for the Bermuda Triangle that I've heard.  Not that I'm an expert or anything, BUT (There's my big but again) I do read a lot.
There are more of us than you think.