Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  I enjoyed it while I was reading it but I'm not sure I enjoyed it on the level I was ment to.  I almost felt "old" reading it.  The way I feel about most music anymore.  I felt like there was something there I just wasn't getting.  It's a short book, less than 200 pages, filled with unlikable characters.  Even then I still felt interested in the story.  I wanted to know what happened next. 

Here is the synopsis from the publisher:

Dale Sampson is a nobody. A small town geek who lives in the shadow of his best friend, the high school baseball star, it takes him years to even gather the courage to actually talk to a girl. It doesn't go well. Then, just when he thinks there's a glimmer of hope for his love life, he loses everything.

When Dale runs into the twin sister of the girl he loved and lost, he finds his calling--he will become a samaritan. Determined to rescue her from a violent marriage, and redeem himself in the process, he decides to use the only "weapon" he has--besides a toaster. His weapon, the inexplicable ability to regenerate injured body parts, leads him to fame and fortune as the star of a blockbuster TV reality show where he learns that being The Samaritan is a heartbreaking affair. Especially when the one person you want to save doesn't want saving.

Dale is a very damaged protagonist, the trauma he went through in HS would scar anyone.  Add in the ability he has to regenerate any body part he loses and he makes a compelling character.  The author never allows you to bond with him because even before the trauma, he's very much inside himself and never really connects with anyone on a level most of us would be famaliar with.

I don't know, I'm still a little confused over my reaction to it.  Like I said, I enjoyed it but felt like I was missing out on the point of it.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

The Samaritan  

I just finished this one.  It's probably one of the oddest books I've read in a long time. 

Ryan:

How do you mean "odd"? Good odd or bad odd?

Paul

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos
pen21

I started The Name of the WInd too.

What a great read. I really am enjoying the book so far.

Paul you gave me another great recommendation.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Contributor
recon1-1
0 Kudos

Citadel (Troy Rising Series #2)  Morning all. I am very happy with Mr.. Ringo's product the stories are fast paced but don't lack in details, and the characters really are

pen21

Happy St. Patricks Day!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Thanks Pen, you too!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Happy Saint Patty's Day Everyone! One shot of Jameson for me and one shot of Jameson for you..:smileyhappy:

I am about 1/2 way through The Name of the Wind. I am seriously enjoying this book. What a great story! Thank you Paul :smileyvery-happy:

pen21

kimba88 wrote:

Happy Saint Patty's Day Everyone! One shot of Jameson for me and one shot of Jameson for you..:smileyhappy:

I am about 1/2 way through The Name of the Wind. I am seriously enjoying this book. What a great story! Thank you Paul :smileyvery-happy:

I am almost at the 1/2 way mark in The Name of the Wind. This book is a joy to read. I can see what you all were talking about now. Another good recommendation Paul. :smileyhappy: 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

TiggerBear

Nallia wrote:

What to do, what to do...?

I am torn between these two books and can't decide which to read first:

WITHOUT QUESTION.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Into the Shadows, a young adult paranormal novel

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

Don't miss the Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop - Ends March 20

www.darkangel88.com

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

I finished The Name of the Wind.. awesome I really enjoyed it. Now on to book 2. :smileywink:

New User
VikingJake
0 Kudos

Currently reading

Honour of the Knights

Have read the complete Morcyth Saga Series (Unsuspecting Mage, Fires of Prophecy, etc) by Brian S Pratt.

Waiting on the next Wheel of Time, but still looking for good sci-fi books.  I love all kinds of roleplaying sci-fi/steampunk/space books, and having a hard time to find anyone to lend with.

Really love the NC as well.

Contributor
rustyw

pen21

I just finished The Name of the WInd. Paul it is everything you said. This is a wonderful book. I really can't think of anything good enough to say about the book. This is one of the best books I have read.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I just finished The Name of the WInd. Paul it is everything you said. This is a wonderful book. I really can't think of anything good enough to say about the book. This is one of the best books I have read.

Awesome, I'm so glad you liked it! Get ready for an even better book in The Wise Man's Fear!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21

I received an early eBook copy of Blood Red Road. I really enjoyed the book. It is a YA dystopian novel.

Blood Red Road

From the Publisher

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

pen21
0 Kudos

I just found this on a promotion for Blood Red Road that the film rights have been acquired.

"Blockbuster director Ridley Scott's production company has already acquired the film rights to Blood Red Road, which is the first book in the post-apocalyptic Dustland trilogy. Ridley Scott's films include Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator, and American Gangster!"

Blood Red Road