Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: What are you currently reading?

Vermontcozy wrote:

Great Picture pen..Scared me a Little lol..The Artwork is Beautiful though..:robotsurprised:

I thought the artwork was very thought provoking. I 'read' the first two books as an audio version. I was at Barnes and Noble and saw the artwork in the books, it was stunning. I think it would have made a difference if I would have had the hardcopy of the book while I was reading. Below is the cover for the third book.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Book of Lost Souls  

TURNED (Book #1 in the Vampire Journals)  

Currently Reading

Airborne

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

www.darkangel88.com

shadowcat80

Aprilynne Pike's Wings from Free Friday a week ago. 

Also reading

Alexander Scott's The Mysterious Case of Doctor Octavious Plum

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
pen21

Camera Obscura was  a really good book. It is the second in a steampunk series by Lavie Tidhar. It is an alternate history of the Victorian era, but had strong thriller content, in my opinion. It is hard for me to narrow down what I thought made it so good. Milady de Winter works for the "Quiet Council'. Murder and a mysterious object start the plot going and it really kept going. I am glad I got a copy of this book.
I need to read the first in the series The Bookman. I didn't feel I was missing anything in my read, The Bookman was referenced in the story.

Camera Obscura

Bookman

shadowcat80

[ Edited ]

I am currently reading the Aprilynne Pike's Wings from the free friday selection of a few weeks ago.  It's about a girl named Laurel that after she moves to a new town and school, a bump appears on her back, the bump becomes a pair of wings later on, as she discovers she's a faerie. 

Wings Free with Bonus Material 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
TiggerBear

pen21 wrote:

Camera Obscura was  a really good book. It is the second in a steampunk series by Lavie Tidhar. It is an alternate history of the Victorian era, but had strong thriller content, in my opinion. It is hard for me to narrow down what I thought made it so good. Milady de Winter works for the "Quiet Council'. Murder and a mysterious object start the plot going and it really kept going. I am glad I got a copy of this book.
I need to read the first in the series The Bookman. I didn't feel I was missing anything in my read, The Bookman was referenced in the story.

Camera Obscura

Bookman

Ah there is a second one? Excellent!

Oh first one yeah sorry you missed out, go back and read it a soon as you get a chance. Enough of the plot elements happened, blew up, and closed; I asumed it was a stand alone.

pen21

TiggerBear wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Camera Obscura

Bookman

Oh first one yeah sorry you missed out, go back and read it a soon as you get a chance. Enough of the plot elements happened, blew up, and closed; I asumed it was a stand alone.

Yes I need to go back and read it. It was in my list. I hope the first one is as good as the second one was.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Camera Obscura

Bookman

Yes I need to go back and read it. It was in my list. I hope the first one is as good as the second one was.

(chuckle) Funny I'm hoping on the flipside. May the second one be as good as the first, if not better.:smileywink:

shadowcat80

I am restarting the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  There's only a handful of titles I could read a million times and still enjoy it as much as I did when I read it the first time, and Tolkien's masterpiece is one of those pieces. 

The Lord of the Rings 

pen21

shadowcat80 wrote:

I am restarting the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  There's only a handful of titles I could read a million times and still enjoy it as much as I did when I read it the first time, and Tolkien's masterpiece is one of those pieces. 

The Lord of the Rings 

I agree. :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear

shadowcat80 wrote:

The Lord of the Rings 

Every 18 months!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Bandits  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Bandits  

Ah Ryan a long long time ago you asked if anyone knew of a merpeople book.

Found one

Prospero's Children

Prospero's Children  Pretty good too.

Correspondent
NookieV
0 Kudos

Well, let's give this a try. First time posting here. Going to see if I can do those neat links with the picture of the book.

I find myself in a situation where I'm reading 4 books at the same time. Started one on my color nook then grabbed two from the Library. Started one of those, then couldn't find it and started another. The last one is a paper back I started to have something when I didn't want to drag my Nook somewhere.

My 'main' read at the moment is:

Distant Thunders

(Cool, that worked!)

Distant Thunders, the 4th book in the Destroyermen series. I really like the series though this book drags some I think. Not as much action plus I hate when things are forshadowed and then take forever to resolve. Especially bad things. I found my self skipping/skimming over parts of the book but I'll read the next one when it comes out.

2nd Library book was the first in a serires where the 2nd book has just come out. I found the 2nd and it looked interesting so I went back and dug up the first one:

The Conqueror's Shadow

Fantasy supposed to be darkish with a smart alecy main character. Only 60 pages in but pretty good so far. Fairly complicated story line so far.

On the Nook I'm reading Ian M Banks 3rd Culture book:

Use of Weapons

Not very far in yet. I had a bit of a hard time getting into this one but I think that's just because I wasn't in the mood for something so... high? Sci-fi. I liked the first Culture book and REALLY liked the 2nd one. I'm hoping to make it though all of them.

And lastly a book that will take me months to get though as it will be my "Fall back read when nothing else is handy" book:

Balshazzar's Serpent

About 75 pages in so far. Pretty good. Curious to see what happens as there is something deveoping but, so far, we don't know what it is.

Lets see how my first post turns out...   

nv

shadowcat80

NookieV wrote:

Well, let's give this a try. First time posting here. Going to see if I can do those neat links with the picture of the book.

I find myself in a situation where I'm reading 4 books at the same time. Started one on my color nook then grabbed two from the Library. Started one of those, then couldn't find it and started another. The last one is a paper back I started to have something when I didn't want to drag my Nook somewhere.

My 'main' read at the moment is:

Distant Thunders

(Cool, that worked!)

Distant Thunders, the 4th book in the Destroyermen series. I really like the series though this book drags some I think. Not as much action plus I hate when things are forshadowed and then take forever to resolve. Especially bad things. I found my self skipping/skimming over parts of the book but I'll read the next one when it comes out.

2nd Library book was the first in a serires where the 2nd book has just come out. I found the 2nd and it looked interesting so I went back and dug up the first one:

The Conqueror's Shadow

Fantasy supposed to be darkish with a smart alecy main character. Only 60 pages in but pretty good so far. Fairly complicated story line so far.

On the Nook I'm reading Ian M Banks 3rd Culture book:

Use of Weapons

Not very far in yet. I had a bit of a hard time getting into this one but I think that's just because I wasn't in the mood for something so... high? Sci-fi. I liked the first Culture book and REALLY liked the 2nd one. I'm hoping to make it though all of them.

And lastly a book that will take me months to get though as it will be my "Fall back read when nothing else is handy" book:

Balshazzar's Serpent

About 75 pages in so far. Pretty good. Curious to see what happens as there is something deveoping but, so far, we don't know what it is.

Lets see how my first post turns out...   

nv

Well NookieV welcome to the fantasy and science fiction forum.  You are reading some nice titles there.  I would love to hear more about them later once you read more on them.  Make yourself at home, and have a good day

shadowcat80

The Rising (Flight Engineer Series #1) I just restarted this trilogy

Ja

The Independent Command (Flight Engineer Series #3)

Correspondent
NookieV

shadowcat80 wrote:

The Rising (Flight Engineer Series #1) I just restarted this trilogy

Ja

The Independent Command (Flight Engineer Series #3)

Wow, at first I thought that was some sort of joke post... couldn't figure out why 'Scotty' was on the cover of these non-star trek books. I thought someone took real book covers and plastered his face on them!

Looks like they are real though and he's a co-author. I'll be curious as too how good those are. S. M. Stirling I've heard of before. Looks like the main character is an Eng on a ship... at least sticking with what he 'knows'.  :smileyhappy:

nv

shadowcat80

Yes, and Peter Raider the main character has a "Scottie" feel about them especially in how he speaks.  He was once a pilot but because he lost a hand, he was grounded, he had to transfer to engineering as a result  He saves his ship from a bomber in book 1, because he broke the rules doing so, he gets in trouble, a high ranking officer pulls some strings to save his career but there's a catch, he given command of a space station that is deep in enemy territory, his mission is to lead a team to raid the enemy posing themselves as space pirates.  Book 3 his team from book 2 is given the mission to go on the offense and effectively end the war.

Contributor
chloe_s
0 Kudos

I am reading

Fablehaven (Fablehaven Series #1)

Correspondent
NookieV

chloe_s wrote:

I am reading

Fablehaven (Fablehaven Series #1)

Oh! My daughter and I read that and the other's in the series (except for the newest one). We liked them. Young Adult but, well, I like Young Adult books it seems. Enjoy!

nv