Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm going thru a non-fiction phase right now.  So I'm reading "Forbidden History" (Edited by J. Douglas Kenyon, Bear and Company).  I read tons of these kinds of books in my early days, about radical events that were hushed up.  From The Philadelphia Experiment, to the Bermuda Triangle.  Roswell has been written about to death, although I think a new one is just out by some well-respected scientists/investigators.  I even read a book on the hollow-earth theory with tongue in cheek, knowing it was ludicrous, just to see what they could present for "proof" (the usual mis-interpreted, or made-up "facts").
"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
New User
Goodkindfan
0 Kudos

So, what do you think?  I read it last spring and loved it, I think because it was a vampire story from a different perspective and had a lot of interesting history in it.  I'm reading Lord of the Silent Kingdom, by Glen Cook.  Next up is The Reincarnationist, by M.J. Rose.
Contributor
Merlin26
0 Kudos

brisingr

children of huren 

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I finished Phantom of the Opera last week. It was one of those older books that I always planned to get around to reading. My son surprised me with it ; he found it on the library's Free Book bookcase complete with dustcover! It has an interesting preface with a description of the actual Paris Opera House, and some of the history behind it. The last book I read was Prom Nights From Hell. I don't like romance much, but with Charlaine Harris and Stephenie Meyer featured I couldn't resist. :smileytongue:
I have just started "The Tale of Murasaki", by Liza Dalby. She is the only westerner to have been trained as a Geisha, which she accomplished for a PhD! I read about The Tales of Genji in another book I really enjoyed, so I was delighted to find a book that recreated the life of the female that wrote the tales.

Kristine
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Merlin26 wrote:

brisingr

children of huren 

Good books!! I absolutely love them both! 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
New User
-Mac-
0 Kudos

I have never heard of "Children of Huren" what is it about? Is it fantasy? Sorry of my ignorance in the matter. I have read Eragon, and Inheritance twice but don't have Brisingr yet. I currently am reading The Golem's Eye. It is to say the least a very strange book, written by Jonathan Stroud.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Mac,

The Children Of Hurin is some of the back History for Lord Of The Rings and was written by Christopher Tolkien from notes left behind by his father JRR Tolkien.  If you are interested in the book then I suggest you read The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings trilogy first.  By the way welcome to the bookclub.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

-Mac- wrote:
I have never heard of "Children of Huren" what is it about? Is it fantasy? Sorry of my ignorance in the matter. I have read Eragon, and Inheritance twice but don't have Brisingr yet. I currently am reading The Golem's Eye. It is to say the least a very strange book, written by Jonathan Stroud.
Brisingr is the best!!! :smileywink:

And the Children of Hurin is a.... different kind on story compared to most Middle Earth books, but it's really good.

... and Mac... are you by any chance a Mac computer person? 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Tig, just wanted to let you know I got Whitechapel Gods today and so fair I'm liking it.  What did you think when you were done reading it?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Brisinger is great.  I can't wait till his 4th book comes out.

I am currently waiting on Blood Engines By T.A. Pratt to come in the mail.  No one around my area had it in stock.  This series looked good from the paranormal list for January.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Melissa,

I think you will like it and Poison Sleep the second book and I am working on Dead Reign the thrid book in the series plus I am working on reading The Way Of Shadows by Brian Weeks, his first published novel with the other two in the trilogy waiting in my Very Large TBR pile.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
TiggerBear

fforgnayr wrote:

Tig, just wanted to let you know I got Whitechapel Gods today and so fair I'm liking it.  What did you think when you were done reading it?

That I'll be looking to see what this author does in the future. That I really want to pitch this to some anime directors. That d*mn it's over? More! Those kind of things.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I found the web site for Marla Manson and the first chapter was available to read there.  I read it and now I can't wait for the book to come.  I am very anxious and keep checking my email for the updates on the shipping.  It cought my interest in that chapter, I hope it just keeps going.  From what I read on here I think it will.

I will have to add the others in the series to my TBR pile and the Way of Shadows by Brian Weeks I will have to look into.  Well, in just the few days I started here I have a nice list of

books that sound like what I would like.  I just keep looking around and listening to everyone and come accross some goood things.  This is what I have been looking for.

Thank you!!!

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

The Midkemia thread hooked me back. I'm starting "Murder in LaMut" by Feist and Joel Rosenberg today.  Looking forward to the collaboration, I really liked Rosenberg's orginal series (was it called Guardian's of the Flame? been a long time, I'm afraid.).

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Just finished reading Sheri S. Teppers' Northshore last night. Thanks Toni, for bringing this author to my attention. She's a detailed world builder and the story never became dull. I went online to see if my library has a copy of the sequel and they don't! I'll have to scout around the other libraries in the area to find a copy of Southshore. I'll be hanging in suspense until then.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Tig

I just finished Whitechapel Gods and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  My only question (this is for anyone who has read it) do you consider enteties like Grandfather Clock and Mama Engine evil?  I know in a why they are the antagonists in the story but to me they are more morally ambivelant.  They are simply trying to survive to the best of their abilities.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading "Mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson and "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson. 
TiggerBear

fforgnayr wrote:

Tig

I just finished Whitechapel Gods and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  My only question (this is for anyone who has read it) do you consider enteties like Grandfather Clock and Mama Engine evil?  I know in a why they are the antagonists in the story but to me they are more morally ambivelant.  They are simply trying to survive to the best of their abilities.

Mama Engine, has the evil deep within the most primal instints.

Grandfather Clock, insane and sociopathic. Evil in the way of a serial killer.

John Scared, oh so much so.

The villians in the best way, the real way, no silly "I am a villian". Because no really thinks they are a villian. All of us killers, teachers, mothers, cops, soilgers, ect.. are all just trying to survive to the best of our abilitys. 

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Finished Ever by Gail Carson Levine. Not boring but not remarkable either. Of course, I read it while traveling and the suspense and danger of real life outdid anything in the book.

Going to take the popular plunge and tackle The Name of the Wind next. Kind of appropos considering Ever involves the god of the winds.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Still working on Feist's & Rosenbergs "Murder in LaMut" for lunchtime at work. Did anyone else have a problem with Rosenberg "borrowing" his characters from "Not Quite the Three Musketeers" series for this one. I like the story, but was having a problem with Kethol, Durine, and Pirojil here. I discovered A. Lee Martinez's "Gill's All Fright Diner" and it's a hoot! Really funny stuff here, just what i was looking for. Any book that has a quote like "Wake me up at sundown, so I can see the ghouls melt" and has zombie cows in it, is a winner for me.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog