Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Pavel wrote:

Reading Stoker's Dracula and not really having too good of a time with it.

Really, tell us why

and have you read

Dracula  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Pavel wrote:

We talked about this a little on another thread but, in my opinion, it's obviously dated and the format doesn't translate well to today's readers. But you have to keep that in mind with any "old" book you read.   :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Anyone interested in vampires should read Stoker's Dracula, but it's not an easy read. It's diary format is stiff, and the expressions/wordings/prose is antiquated. It totally lacks immediacy. When I read it in my early teens, the best part for me was the description of Dracula crawling the walls of the castle.  

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading the new issue of Analog.  Haven't picked one up in a while and I have to say, I am enjoying it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/ANALOG-SCI-FI-FACT/e/2940000281574/

It has the last installment of a serial called Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer.  While I had not read the first three parts, I have to say that the synopsis brought me up to speed and I am totally enjoying the story and care about some of the characters.  To me...that is great writing!

Contributor
Pavel

dhaupt wrote:

Pavel wrote:

Really, tell us why

and have you read

Dracula  

I actually didn't mind the format too much. If anything, I can see how back then it would be considered pretty innovative. I was just really annoyed by the constant "I cannot tell you this right now, but you will know all in good time!" (that's including the exclamation point). I just wanted to scream "Why?! Why can't you tell me right now!!"

Author of Project Antichrist, a sci fi novel.
Contributor
Zalen_Redlaw
0 Kudos

I'm reading Edgar Rice Burroughs 'John Carter'series on my Nook color (been meaning to dig into the series long before the movie was thought up) and reading H.G. Wells, the seven novels volume published by B&N. Recent reads were 'The Last Astronaut' by D.F Marrs, and 'Last Citadel' David L Robbins. (the fact they both has 'Last' in the titles is merely a happy coincidence!)
dhaupt

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

I'm reading for my in-person book club

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)  

An exceptional book.  It's amazing how few SF books actually get predictions right, but this one had a remarkable prediction.  Two of the main characters, brilliant children, become (under anonymous aliases) famous bloggers, dominating the political discourse of the nation.  Although, of course, the word blogger isn't used, because the book was written in 1985.

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Star Trek Vanguard #1  I'm reading the Star Trek Vanguard mini-series because The Typhon Pact is a spin-off from that. Getting background info.

pen21

angelcloud529 wrote:

Usually read more of the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy stuff, but trying something new!

Currently reading:

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)  

I reread A Game of Thrones (it was a long time ago that I read it). I have watched Season 1 of the series on HBO and started Season 2 last Sunday. It is a great read. I will be slowly working my way through this series. I can't remember where I stopped in the series, but I plan to keep reading.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

angelcloud529 wrote:

Usually read more of the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy stuff, but trying something new!

Currently reading:

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)  

I reread A Game of Thrones (it was a long time ago that I read it). I have watched Season 1 of the series on HBO and started Season 2 last Sunday. It is a great read. I will be slowly working my way through this series. I can't remember where I stopped in the series, but I plan to keep reading.

Hi Pen21,  I also just started reading Game Of Thrones. With all the talk about the HBO Series. I thought I would try the book , I usually read Historical Fiction or Mystery. But I thought this would be interesting. So far I am really enjoying it.   

Optic 

DCLOVELL

Finished the two Magician books by Raymond E. Feist and now I am on to the next part of the Riftwar Saga- Silverthorn.  I have read some of these books before, but have decided to read the entire series from start to finish.  I think it is really good stuff.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/silverthorn-raymond-e-feist/1100180090?ean=9780553270549&itm=1&usri=...

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Currently reading Simon Green's "Beyond The Blue Moon". The last book in his Forest Kingdom series. It's pretty typical of the series...a LOT of good banter between characters and just some sword and sorcery mayhem with some humor thrown in. Fun read!

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Contributor
scribbler100
0 Kudos

I'm reading some Edgar Rice Burroughs right now.  A Fighting Man of Mars, Pellucidar, Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar.  Just got through reading The Hunger Games trilogy and loved it.  Figured after reading about a grim future; it was time to read some escapist stuff. 

Yep, I really wrote Doughnut Rising. Doughnut meet World; World meet Doughnut.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Not reading any genre books now but I have recently read:

Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip

Wielding a Red Sword by Piers Anthony

From Hell With Love by Simon R. Green

The Sword of the Lady by S.M. Stirling

The High King of Montival by S.M. Stirling

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Aueien

Forever War  

Just finnished this and enjoyed it a lot. Now debating weither to go back to Malazan or read Old Man's War

RHWright

Scalzi's on my TBR pile as well. As are the Malazan books. (Darn you, NOOK! My official "pile" is now several hundred books deep.)

Right now:

Death Masks (Dresden Files Series #5)  

And I popped open the ebook of Game of Thrones again. If it was the Adventures of Tyrion Lannister, I might be getting through it a lot quicker. The rest of the characters aren't catching me as much.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Just finished The Midnight Mayor

The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift Series #2)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
Jfizzle
0 Kudos

Hey everyone.... new to the B&N Community...

im currently reading... 

Lords of Kobol - Book Two: Descent