Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


dhaupt wrote:

I Just finished 

The Last Policeman  

I'm interested in what other's thought of it.


Some readers didn't really "get" this one, Deb, but I loved it! I called it an "intriguing blend of police procedural mystery and end-of-the-world thriller that is as entertaining as it is thought provoking."

 

Did you like it?

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Unbearable-Immanence-Winters-Penet...

 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I Just finished 

The Last Policeman  

I'm interested in what other's thought of it.


Some readers didn't really "get" this one, Deb, but I loved it! I called it an "intriguing blend of police procedural mystery and end-of-the-world thriller that is as entertaining as it is thought provoking."

 

Did you like it?

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Unbearable-Immanence-Winters-Penet...

 


Well at first I wasn't sure because like all post or pre apocalyptic lovers I'm ready to get down and dirty from the get go, but this was a kinder gentler kind of thriller. The protagonist was refreshingly innocent and naive and in the end I really liked it a lot.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

I loved it.  I really enjoyed Hank Palace and the dedication to his job.  I could have done without the sister, but I think that's were the next book is going.


dhaupt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I Just finished 

The Last Policeman  

I'm interested in what other's thought of it.


Some readers didn't really "get" this one, Deb, but I loved it! I called it an "intriguing blend of police procedural mystery and end-of-the-world thriller that is as entertaining as it is thought provoking."

 

Did you like it?

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Unbearable-Immanence-Winters-Penet...

 


Well at first I wasn't sure because like all post or pre apocalyptic lovers I'm ready to get down and dirty from the get go, but this was a kinder gentler kind of thriller. The protagonist was refreshingly innocent and naive and in the end I really liked it a lot.

 


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you currently reading?


Ryan_G wrote:

I loved it.  I really enjoyed Hank Palace and the dedication to his job.  I could have done without the sister, but I think that's were the next book is going.


dhaupt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I Just finished 

The Last Policeman  

I'm interested in what other's thought of it.


Some readers didn't really "get" this one, Deb, but I loved it! I called it an "intriguing blend of police procedural mystery and end-of-the-world thriller that is as entertaining as it is thought provoking."

 

Did you like it?

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Unbearable-Immanence-Winters-Penet...

 


Well at first I wasn't sure because like all post or pre apocalyptic lovers I'm ready to get down and dirty from the get go, but this was a kinder gentler kind of thriller. The protagonist was refreshingly innocent and naive and in the end I really liked it a lot.

 


 


True Ryan about the sister but I guess we always need a nemesis of somekind to make us question us.

 

And I also believe it's where we're heading since ****SPOILER**** Hank isn't a cop any more. I like how Ben led us to discoveries and how he told the story.

Reader 2
unicorn6482
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎11-09-2012

Re: What are you currently reading?

I just started the Alana Weathrtby series by Jack Sorenson Liking it so far...kinda a Harry Potter type of book and it is a free eBook to boot.
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Currently working on the second book in The Dragonslayer Series.

The Iron Maiden  

 

 

 

I loved the first book, and am excited to get into this second one.  I'm afraid the holiday hubub will slow my reading time when all I want to do is sit and read. lol.

The Dragonslayer's Sword  

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time Series #4)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I read the Hobbit over the Holiday. Love the book.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But after reading the book I am not sure how a trilogy can be made.

 

The Hobbit  

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,173
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: What are you currently reading?


pen21 wrote:

I read the Hobbit over the Holiday. Love the book.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But after reading the book I am not sure how a trilogy can be made.

 

The Hobbit  


A lot of the movie is  more prequel material to the Lord of the Rings rather than from the Hobbit itself.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Changes (Collegium Chronicles Series #3)  

The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time Series #5)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Right now I'm reading an April release the end of Ian Tregillis' newest trilogy. It's a great marriage of Sci-Fi and fantasy set during WWII - listed below it

Necessary Evil  

 

here are the first two in the trilogy- for those of you who love fantasy mixed with alternate history you'll really like these

 

Bitter Seeds  

The Coldest War  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time Series #10)  

Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time Series #11)  

The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time Series #12)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time Series #13)  

A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time Series #14)  

The Tears of the Sun (Emberverse Series #8)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Just started in this one last night. 40 pages in and I'm so glad I picked it up. Sounds like the one I was needing at this very moment. :smileyhappy:

 

Tranquility's Grief  

 

It's the second book to the Tranquility series.  And where we ended with the characters in the first book, we are coming into a new feel with them.  Looking forward to reading the whole thing!

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

The Night Eternal (Strain Trilogy #3)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I finished

Unlikely by Frances Pauliwhich was full of magic in this world and was fun to get back into so much magic.

 

Then got through a quick fairy tale remix:

The Little Clockwork Mermaid  

 

It's got a bit of a different twist to the end, but I enjoyed it for Lorelei's sake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now I'm working on a read that I keep wondering where I'll go or what I'll see next.  So different and new with what she's created here.

The Dimensional Shift  

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,173
Registered: ‎07-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

2312  

 

This was on a lot of top ten lists for last year.  So far, very good.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,467
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

On Basilisk Station by David Weber.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Pawn of Prophecy (Belgariad Series #1)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com