Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

So Sorry Paul about your Loss..Just like to make you Laugh...BC we Care...
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Finished the third book of Game of Thrones. I currently don't have HBO, so will need to watch Season 3 later. Good series, but very long books.

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3)  

Contributor
myykuul

I just re-read Ender's Game. Prior to that I read the fifth of the Game of Thrones series. C'mon MARTIN! Write, write, write!

Bibliophile
Melhay

paulgoatallen wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:
I am impressed pen21,PGA came out of The UF/Para/SciFi Witness Protection Program when he saw you Post "Requiem"

Very funny! I've always been here – just been a little quiet of late (my father recently passed and I'm attempting to handle the probate of his estate... fun!) But I will definitely post an in-depth review of this book. Promise!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

Hey Paul,

Hope all's going well for you. I've been quiet with the passing of my fathers wife and him being handicap from a stroke 13 yrs back...well, I've been working on their place and finding a care facility for him.  Lots of paper to go with it all. *sigh* 

You'll make it through.  **hugs**

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

I've been reading a lot of romance scifi, paranormal, and such so had to pick up a fantasy book last night.  I started and even though I'm only 30 pages in I'm really liking the layout!

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage Trilogy #1)  

paulgoatallen

Thank you for the kind words, guys.

In brighter news, I just released (ie: self-published) my first short story in, well, A LONG TIME!

It's called "The Tao of Feeblecorn." I set out to write something like I've never read before – and I've reviewed more than 7,000 books! – and I love the way it turned out. It's about a madman who lives in an abandoned barn and it has no real beginning or end, no dialogue, no significant action, and absolutely no character development.... but I think it's very profound. Author Adam Connell read it and compared it to Bradbury!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-tao-of-feeblecorn-by-paul-goat-allen-paul-goat-allen/1115844172?...

Here is how it begins: "The madman had lived in the upper floors of the old barn ever since he could remember. Days, months, years, decades—he didn’t know, or particularly care. The towering monolith with its cracked and curling brownish gray shingles and insect-infested rafters was his home, his secret sanctuary from the cruel and callous outside world..."

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

It's Now out There...So nice of Zack...I pinned it on my Board "Books Worth Reading" Will pin again though...Probably UF/Para With a Note...Buying it Kim just Did...Sure pen will too,Mel,.and Members of The Cult...I saw That from Author Adam Connell...Really Great...Congrats, Suze....
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

You guys are awesome – thank you so much! And for those of you who actually read the story, I hope it moves you....   :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

In brighter news, I just released (ie: self-published) my first short story in, well, A LONG TIME!

It's called "The Tao of Feeblecorn." I set out to write something like I've never read before – and I've reviewed more than 7,000 books! – and I love the way it turned out. It's about a madman who lives in an abandoned barn and it has no real beginning or end, no dialogue, no significant action, and absolutely no character development.... but I think it's very profound. Author Adam Connell read it and compared it to Bradbury!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-tao-of-feeblecorn-by-paul-goat-allen-paul-goat-allen/1115844172?...

Here is how it begins: "The madman had lived in the upper floors of the old barn ever since he could remember. Days, months, years, decades—he didn’t know, or particularly care. The towering monolith with its cracked and curling brownish gray shingles and insect-infested rafters was his home, his secret sanctuary from the cruel and callous outside world..."

Great! I will check it out!

Bibliophile
Melhay

Well Paul, I've been wanting to get some of your work for a while now.  Glad to see you got one out for us. :smileyhappy: I've picked it up and look forward to reading it in a few weeks (hoping things calm for us). 

Take care, and thanks for letting us know!!

Mel

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters

The City  

pen21

Time to break out the peach wine while reading Requiem. Loved the book. Scholes did a great job of brining right back into the story. One of the best series I have read. I hope it is not too long till the next book.

Requiem  

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Just finished a couple books, one, Siegewhich was pretty good, mostly cause the protags were well realized and the last Sookie book(Nice ending).  I am currently reading the Silvered and am enjoying it.  

The Silvered  

Siege  

Dude, Where's my book!
RHWright
0 Kudos

It's LOTR for the umpteenth time. Still love it every time.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Draw One In the Dark by Sarah Hoyt. It's surprisingly funny.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

I'm reading. 

Star Trek Voyager  

I am so hooked on anything Star Trek when a friend got me into the Star Trek Destiny series.  Awesome series if you are a trekkie and haven't read them.

pen21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great start to this series. Great read!

The Companions (The Sundering, #1) by R. A. Salvatore

The Companions  

paulgoatallen

pen21 wrote:

Great start to this series. Great read!

The Companions (The Sundering, #1) by R. A. Salvatore

The Companions  

Agreed, Pen. This one was a jaw-dropper. What Salvatore has done with this novel is arguably the RISKIEST thing I've ever seen an author do. Just wow.....

pen21
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Great! I will check it out!

Thank you Paul! That was a beautiful read! I have read it several times. It really makes me think about the main character and the world he has around him.