Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I am currently rereading A Song For Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, one of my favorites.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
qwertbook82
0 Kudos

I am in the middle of about five books:

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (re-read)

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (re-read every chance I get)

Daemons are Forever by Simon R. Green

King's Shield by Sherwood Smith

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

fforgnayr wrote:
I am currently rereading A Song For Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, one of my favorites.

One of my favorites, too! I give Lions of Al-Rassan to everyone that wants to borrow a GOOD book. I use it as my Guy Kay recruiting pamphlet. I read everything Kay writes.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Possibly for the first time, I'm reading a space opera (why are they called that, anyway?). I'm on a Simon Green kick, and I'm ploughing through his Deathstalker series. Not great, but I wasn't expecting high literature.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

Possibly for the first time, I'm reading a space opera (why are they called that, anyway?). I'm on a Simon Green kick, and I'm ploughing through his Deathstalker series. Not great, but I wasn't expecting high literature.

Not high literature but dang fun anyway. Not sure where the "space opera" tag came from either. I guess stuff like Deathstalker has a little Soap Opera feel in that it's a serial type story. Perhaps the term is an offshoot from the old Flash Gordon serials at the movies?

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
New User
annette414
0 Kudos

Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Already Dead - Charlie Huston

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Plague of the Dead - Z.A. Reicht

There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I am currently reading The Origin of Species and many other science related books... (stupid school papers, throw off my pleasure reading)... so I am basically bored stiff all the time... it's horrible.
"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Need some help: for those of you who have read Elizabeth Bear, what would you say was her best book(s)? I need to read something of hers and I want it to be the best possible representation of her work.

Thanks in advance!

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Clippership14,

If you need to read only one book by Elizabeth Bear than I would read one of her stand alone novels.  She has three and I have read Undertow and Carnival both of which were very good.  All The Windwracked Stars I have not because I library hasn't got it in yet.  They are usually a little slow on some of the new releases.  I hope that helps you.  As far as I am concered they are all really good.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

annette414 wrote:

Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Already Dead - Charlie Huston

The Blade Itself Rocks! The best new epic fantasy series I've seen in a long time. Let us know what you think about it. I'm curious to hear someone else's opinion.

Brad

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks, Toni. I'm so grateful for those of you who have read just about everything out there. I'll check my library for one of the stand alones you mentioned. I've been hearing good things about this author.
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I'm re-reading Glen Cook's "Soldiers Live". A friend and I got into a "dead or alive" discussion. We couldn't remeber if Uncle Doj and Thai Dei were alive or not by the end. We want more Black Company books so we were engaging in a little "what if" there were sequels. Now I have to re-read it. 

Brad

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I finished reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Good read. Had a problem with the claustrophobic, dark setting at first but as the story unwinded I adapted. Liked it enough to go pick up the next book in the series from the library. This is another that could be called a science-fantasy--borderline maybe. :smileywink:
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

I'm re-reading Glen Cook's "Soldiers Live". A friend and I got into a "dead or alive" discussion. We couldn't remeber if Uncle Doj and Thai Dei were alive or not by the end. We want more Black Company books so we were engaging in a little "what if" there were sequels. Now I have to re-read it. 

Brad

Brad:

Man, that brings back memories.... I loved Soldiers Live. I love all of the Black Company novels but, for some reason, the Glittering Stone sequence really blew me away. Those (Bleak Seasons, She is the Darkness, Water Sleps and Soldiers Live) are my favorites...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I loved Mistborn enough to buy the sequel the next time I went to the bookstore.  I haven't read it yet though. 

I just finished "A Thousand Words for Stranger" by Julie Czernada.  It was okay, but not great.

I'm currently reading "The Magicians and Mrs. Quent" by Galen Beckett.  It was an impulse purchase.

Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

I'm reading my first Terry Pratchett book, Wyrd Sisters.  There were so many people raving over his work I felt I must find out why.  Now I know!  Thanks!
New User
sjojo
0 Kudos

Right now, I am rereading Erec Rex:Monsters of Otherness by Kaza Kingsley!  I love that book, and so does my whole family. It is the second book of the series (Erec Rex: The Dragon's Eye is first and the third one, Erec Rex: The Search for truth is coming out in June!)    I highly recommend it! I am really excited, because the audio book is coming out early April! :smileyvery-happy:

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I picked up Bone Song by John Meaney.  I am trying to get ahead for next month since there are two books by him that are featured, and February is a short month.  LOL.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

On everyone's strong recommendations I'm making a start on Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. I have "In the Company of Ogres" by A. Lee Martinez on deck. He's on of my new faves.

Brad