Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ben33
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

i  am currently reading twilight by stepehenie meyer after that i plan on readin the rest of the twilight saga
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

The Ice Limit by Preston & Child - what a good book - it reads like a film, a GOOD film.
There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

I only picked up the books because of the fact he was named to finish the Wheel of Time series after the passing of Robert Jordan.

I was quite surprised though that it was entertaining.  Think majical (alchemist) ninja fights in the dark with mist swirling around everything....

I just picked up a set of the Sword of Shannara books in hardback and have just opened the first book.  Hopefully they are good... 

Other books/series I am working on:

The Wheel of time (waiting on the last book)

A Song of Ice and Fire (waiting...)

Shadowmarch trilogy (waiting...)

paulgoatallen

lordfeyr wrote:

I just picked up a set of the Sword of Shannara books in hardback and have just opened the first book.  Hopefully they are good... 

lordfeyr:

You're in for a treat. The Sword of Shannara was by far the best Shannara novel – and arguably one of the best epic fantasy novels ever written.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
J_fromOhio

I just finished two new Mercedes Lackey books-the first being The Snow Queen and the second was Phoenix Endangered, I'm very excited to find out how the Phoenix trilogy ends! 

On a second note-Has anyone heard anything more about the WOT movie Universal is doing? 

-J

Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

The Frost-Haired Vixen by John Zakour
All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...
Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

Wow, J, I hadn't heard anything about a WoT movie. Excellent...
All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...
paulgoatallen

J_fromOhio wrote:

On a second note-Has anyone heard anything more about the WOT movie Universal is doing? 

J:

I haven't heard anything "NEW" about this.  There was some buzz last summer about a company buying the rights but, honestly, that doesn't mean a whole lot... 

Here's the thing though – how can the Wheel of Time ever be made into a comprehensive movie? It's not impossible – Peter Jackson pulled off LOTR –  but this is one heck of an undertaking.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

J_fromOhio wrote:

J:

I haven't heard anything "NEW" about this.  There was some buzz last summer about a company buying the rights but, honestly, that doesn't mean a whole lot... 

Here's the thing though – how can the Wheel of Time ever be made into a comprehensive movie? It's not impossible – Peter Jackson pulled off LOTR –  but this is one heck of an undertaking.

Paul 

I can't imagine how they would this. What are we on like book 10 or 11?! I realize that once they pull the extraneous baloney description, etc out of it it's probably only 5 books worth but that's still ALOT of commitment from a movie studio. I mean if they use money for this how will they fund all those late 60's cheesy TV show remakes, Friday the 13th remakes, Nightmare on Elm Street remakes (you get the picture, right? No pun intended).

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just finished Stardust and loved it. I listen to the audio and I am really glad I did. It was narrated by Neil Gaiman and he did an excellent job. The CD included an interview with him and he had some very interesting comments to make about the creation of the story and also about the audio.

He had two very important points to make about an author-narrated CD. He feels that in a story, the author and the reader actually engage in a co-creation effort where the story is as much an imagined event in the mind of the reader which may be quite different than what the author was envisioning. A CD read by the author gives you a unique opportunity to hear the story the way the author interprets it. I should add that Gaiman doesn't just recite the book but actually acts out the parts verbally.

His second point is that the audio forces you the listen to all the words the author wrote. He said he chooses his words carefully and they all have meaning or some sort of relevance to the story. When people read a book, they tend to skim over descriptive sections and move forward to the dialog or plot enhancement sections. In an audio book you have to listen to all these words and don't miss any of them. He said he noticed this because he listens to CD books when he is driving long distances and, though he had read Huckleberry Finn, it was by hearing it read that he came to really appreciate the book.

This may be why I couldn't get into Eragon. I took the CDs out of the library and started listening to it. You speed readers probably skip all the descriptive material that bogs down this book. For you the story was the dialog and the plot highlights. It was probably a great story. I had to listen to the endless strings of descriptive adjectives and adverbs that went nowhere and added nothing. By the end of the second chapter, I had lost my incentive to go further.

I liked the Stardust CD so much that I would like to hear some of Gaiman's other books read by him. Stardust is the first book by him that I have read. I was wondering if some people in the group could recommend another good book by him.

I am now watching the movie again. It is very different from the book (it is essentially a totally different version of the same core story) but it is a delight all on its own.

Message Edited by Nadine on 02-11-2009 01:53 PM
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

On everyone's stellar recommendations...The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, and on deck I have Mistborn waiting (one of the ugliest examples I have ever seen for cover art by the way).

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

I would say that I am about 1/3 of the way through the book.  The first couple of pages took a bit to get interested but I blame that on outside factors but the remaining has been great.

One thing though is I can see ALOT of similarities to the LOTR.

A giant "octopus like" monster from the lake/bog attacking with giant tentacles....  going under the mountain through the tomb of kings.... etc....

Overall great read though.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Memories of Earth by Orson Scott Card, while waiting for The Wise Man's Fear.
There are more of us than you think.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
Memories of Earth by Orson Scott Card, while waiting for The Wise Man's Fear.

Any book by OSC is pretty much guaranteed to be exceptional, except (in my opinion) his urban fantasy novel Magic Street – liked it but it didn't have that "wow" factor.

Paul 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I am finaly reading the Paul of Dune book

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

I am finaly reading the Paul of Dune book

Better late than never, Ryan!

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Just got Lamentations from the library so that is what I'm reading now with Bone Song waiting.  It doesn't look like that will get Black Blood until it comes out in paperback.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well, I feel the need to get back to Faymond E. Feists series, that I just loved so much.  I am now reading Shards of a Broken Crown.  I know someone mentioned a while ago when I started that you don't need to read this one, but I do like his writing and I think I will just for the heck of it.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I just finished The Name of the Wind wonderful and have just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I'm hoping it's as good as I have heard.
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:
I just finished The Name of the Wind wonderful and have just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I'm hoping it's as good as I have heard.

Golly. I also finished Name of the Wind yesterday and Mistborn is in my lunchbox to start today. It's kinda like showing up at work wearing the same shirt as a co-worker. What are we reading next, carmen, lol.

Brad