Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Fire_dancer
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Right now i'm reading, 'The Good, The Bad and the Undead' by Kim Harrison and Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings is for school and the other is just for me!!) Next is Sahara by Clive Culser (i'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong)
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"- Edgar Allen Poe
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Dimestore Magic, and Just finished On the Prowl, Mona Lisa Blossoming, (or is that what I am waiting for and just read Mona Lisa Becoming, anyway I just read two of those books, and Lucinda Darkly, am waiting for touch of Frost, am also reading the invisible ring, and The Bloody Sun (re-read). There are a few more on my bedside waiting for me but I am at Starbucks so I can't pull them up. I am on a Patricia Briggs reading streak, and just finished Hobbs Bargain and am reading Raven Strike (I think). The books I read over and over are Andre Norton ones, LKH books, all of them, and the Amber series, and Lion, Witch and wardrobe series, (my first). and Marion Zimmer Bradley. Oh yes, and Stephen King books are repeats also. I also just finished the Sebastian series, and just read the Urban Shaman series. I wish I could remember the names of the other books I have waiting for me at home. I also noticed that Lynn Abbey has a new book out I plan to read.

I too, like I saw mentioned in earlier posts found Goodkind to get redundant and stopped reading that 4 or 5 into the series. I loved the first and second of the series.
Dude, Where's my book!
Contributor
Amulet
0 Kudos

I just started Sandworms of Dune by Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert. I know, I know, their work is not in the same class as the original series, but I'm hooked on Dune. I have reread the Frank herbert novels four or five times and I'm still fascinated. The Anderson/Herbert ones have been uneven, but what the hell, they are Dune, and that's something.
==============================================

Author of two near-future thrillers, Unholy Domain and PeaceMaker. Visit www.danronco.com
Contributor
lldavids44
0 Kudos

Anansi Boys

[ Edited ]
does tie in with American Gods, but is less dark and more hysterically funny

loved To Say nothing of the Dog by connie willis, one of the few books i've read several times, and also loved her doomsday book, where a college girl goes back to the middle ages for a time travel class but they accidentally send her to a place with the plague. And everything else she's written incl short stories

love Jasper Fforde, and apparently i'm the only one here who loves the nursery crime series, which he actually wrote FIRST and couldn't publish til after the thursday next ones

I love Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash being my favorite but it's seriously harder sci-fi because of the language

Dan Simmons, awesome, everything from vampires to ghosts to sci-fi

Loved early Anita Blake, don't like later Laurell K. Hamilton

Love Tim Pratt (odd, touching fantasy), Terry Pratchett, Arthur C. Clarke, William Gibson, Heinlein esp Starship Troopers, Harry Potter, Pullman, Douglas Adams, Tolkien, Richard Matheson, Robin McKinley, Mary Janice Davidson's funny vampire stories

Message Edited by lldavids44 on 12-25-2007 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I read an odd book called "Black Wine", by Candas Jane Dorsey. It is part journal, part flashback, and part regular story. It is a complex story; told by more than one person, seeming to go in one direction...then in one page it changes the way you are viewing the events. It is a little complicated to read, but you won't figure it all out until the end.
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

Just started Jim Butcher's Academ's Fury. It is book two of the Codex of Alera series. I also got book three, Cursor's Fury for Christmas.
Frequent Contributor
yellowbird2525
0 Kudos

Happy New Year to all! I have just been reading the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series; i plan to go to the library tomorrow & return 2 books & get another. Very well written; still waiting for George RR Martin's dancing with dragons to be released! Hate to read ongoing series until finished! Interestingly enough I had seen his Game of Thrones, etc; series repeated over & over; got 2 from library; read 1 chapter; thought i am not really into "court" books; but decided he wrote so excellently i would continue reading a little more; now i have read all the books in the series and am still waiting for the next installment! I plan on re reading all the Harry Potter books this year again! still enjoying them! what are your plans for this wonderful (but cold & windy here) new year? It finally warmed up to 30 degrees!
yellowbird2525
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Just finished a good book I just picked up cause I needed to read something different. When I have this urge, I tend to just browse the bookshelves and pick something by a new author. This go round I picked "the Summoner". It was a formula story with a displaced prince who must save his kingdom from his evil brother and wizard. To do it he has to go on a journey/quest with a camp of fellow travelers. However, the world was just unique enough to make it a great read for me. I liked the world magic system, and his gift, seeing and summoning ghosts was a refreshing change. I also really enjoyed how the Lady's faces manifest--and the vampires and how they fit into the world. Has anyone read this little gem? It is a 07 release so book two is not yet out. Very interested in anyone else's take on this book.
Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I am getting ready to read the Weather Warden series (well I have the first 3- of 6 from Christmas) with "Ill Wind".

I recently finished "Becoming" by Jeanne Stein which was excellent.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I just finished Blood Drive by Jeanne C. Stein and enjoyed it also. She is answering questions in the Paranormal Forum this month...in case you didn't know. She is really friendly!
I stepped out of genre this month also with The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I just finished it so I haven't posted in the forum yet. It starts slow, but pulls you into the lives of this 1900's family in England. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I have been piddling around over there on Jeanne Stein's thread. She is great, and The Watcher was even better than Blood Drive in my opinion. Now I have just finished another book people always rave about on the paranormal thread, Taste of Night by Vicki Patterson. I am going to go pick up MZB's Darkover Landfall and reread that to talk about it on the MZB thread, although Maybe everyone already lost interest. Anyway, Taste of Night was REALLY GOOD. I am getting such good reccemendations from this site. Excuse me for babbling. I think I may have just ingested one too many coffees. Well, I must get back to writing my presentation for, sigh, work.

Lily
Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
Skyler97
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Right now it's Neal Stephenson's "Snowcrash". I'd read his historical works beforeand heard great things about this one mainly that it was the inspiration for such online worlds as Second Life

Message Edited by Skyler97 on 01-23-2008 04:27 PM
New User
swtpea416
0 Kudos

Now IM reading " The Wizard Test" By: Hilari Bell Its very short only 166 pages. So if you got an hour its an ok short story. Next on my list is " Count Karlstein " By: Philip Pullman The author of His Dark Materials.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I found out on Jeanne's thread that the Watcher is paperback also, so that goes on my list. :smileyhappy: I am currently reading "The Scent of Shadows"..it is indeed worth all the buzz on the Paranormal Forum!
"Snowcrash" is a great book! If you like t-shirt tie-ins, there is a online store that is making shirts from places featured in lots of sci/horror films. The site is called "lastexittonowhere"; (I tried to make the link but it didn't work); they have a shirt for the Costra Nostra Pizza Company. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
BZRR2004
0 Kudos

Right now I am reading The Chronicle Trilogy. Dragon of Winter Night. I have read these before but is has been 21 years. I was a sophmore in school. I have read most of the Dragon Lance series. I would like to know if anyone knows which ones come next after the Chronicle trilogy, I have forgotten. I would appreciate it.

BZRR2004
Contributor
BZRR2004
0 Kudos

I am also a Dragon Lance lover. I have read a lot of them back when I was in High school. I am starting to re read them again. It has been 21 years since I started. I am reading the Chronicles Trilogy, and I need to know what order they go in next. Can you pass that on to me? It would be greatly appreciated. I also Love Forgotten Realms and R. A Salvatore, Dark Elve series.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

The ones after the Chronicles Trilogy the other core books are:
The Legends Trilogy; Time Of the Twins, War Of The Twins, and Test Of The Twins
The Lost Chronicles
Second Generation
Dragons Of Summer Flame
Dragons Of A New Age Trilogy
The Dhamon Saga Trilogy

After the core novels there is not really any order for the othe books.
I hope this helps you out.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
BZRR2004
0 Kudos

Thanks for the list. Much apreciated. Now I have can get on with my next purchases. I enjoy the books about the companions. I had a hard time getting in the others.
Thanks again

Martha
Contributor
serialmahogany
0 Kudos

Currently I am reading Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood (Xenogenisis Series compliated. A novel by an African American Woman in the realm of Science Fiction.

My ongoing novel journey topic for now is African American Science Fiction and Horror. There aren't many, So far I have done all but one Brandon Massey, all of Tananarive Due and one of Octavia Butler's books. right now I am going through Octavia's novels.

For some reason I read Tananarive Due's "Living Blood" over and over.
azenithslife.blogspot.com
Contributor
Galium
0 Kudos

I've read a number of books since my last post. 'Magician' by Raymond Feist and all of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood novels. I'm just finishing up 'A Game Of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin and will start 'A Clash Of Kings' tomorrow.

I found 'Magician' to be a little plodding. When I find myself skimming the pages I know that the book hasn't grabbed me.