Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

What book would you like to see made into a movie?

This is hard because there are a lot of good books out there that I would love to see made into a movie.  I would love any Forgotten Realms book done into one, they did a Dungeons and Dragons one awhile back, totally epic fail, wont get into that, but I would still like to see some of them.. War of the Spider Queen would be an awesome one and of course The Twilight Wars series and also Anne Bishops Dawn series.  I know there are others, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: What book would you like to see made into a movie?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I was just reading that apparently a boycott has already been organized against the film of Ender's Game because some people have just discovered that Card is a devout Mormon and therefore opposes gay marriage. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has actually read him.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:
I was just reading that apparently a boycott has already been organized against the film of Ender's Game because some people have just discovered that Card is a devout Mormon and therefore opposes gay marriage. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has actually read him.

I think it's more the fervor with which he opposes gay marriage than just the fact that he opposes it.  And he's likely added fuel to the fire by asking for tolerance after SCOTUS ruled on DOMA, I wonder if he heard that house of reps of Indiana just made it possible for clergymen to be arrested if they solemnize a marriage between same sex couples (goes in to affect in 2014).

Rather than get in to a debate about same sex marriage, I think it's laughable that Card asks for tolerance from a group he has vehemently attacked publicly for over a decade. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
I wonder if he heard that house of reps of Indiana just made it possible for clergymen to be arrested if they solemnize a marriage between same sex couples (goes in to affect in 2014).

Whoa.  What happened to the separation of church and state that this country was founded on?

Re: Card

In addition to being vocal, Card donated a lot of money to an organization that was/is actively working against marriage equality. While Card likely got a fixed payout when he sold the film rights for Ender's Game, it's possible that he has a clause in his contract that will pay him additional royalties if the film does well, and the more money Card has, the more money he can donate to the causes he supports.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

Re: Card

In addition to being vocal, Card donated a lot of money to an organization that was/is actively working against marriage equality. While Card likely got a fixed payout when he sold the film rights for Ender's Game, it's possible that he has a clause in his contract that will pay him additional royalties if the film does well, and the more money Card has, the more money he can donate to the causes he supports.

All of this is true, but it has always been true.  He has always had a lot of money (at least since he got books 2 - a zillion published) and he has always been able to donate a lot of it to further his religious convictions.

As one who grew up in a church who vehemently opposes gay marriage, but who personally doesn't believe that that's what the Bible actually says, I see both sides of the argument against buying his books/seeing his films.  

Ultimately, I believe that the church should absolutely not be required to perform or recognize any marriage that it believes violates its religious beliefs.  The government of the US, however, shouldn't use any religion's rules to make its policy.

To my mind, the organized "boycott" is ridiculous.  Most of the people participating in this boycott probably wouldn't have seen the movie otherwise, and many might not have even known there was such a film.  I don't particularly like his perspective or his political activity, but I do support his right to express his opinions and work towards his goals, even though they're not mine.  

I do support anyone's right to quietly decide not to fund someone's behavior and beliefs, however.  I don't shop at several major retailers because I believe their business practices are evil.  The list gets longer and longer and eventually I'll be making my own clothes, growing my own food and washing my hair with milk or EVOO because of my weird beliefs.  I'm not participating in any official boycotts, though. 

It would make me a hypocrite if, having bought a significant number of his books knowing that he's a bigot, I decided not to see the film solely because he's a bigot.

bobstro

I would love to see a well done production dramatizing the events related in "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". The book is nonfiction, and obviously would have to be dramatized, but if done with the care given Band of Brothers, could be magnificent. I'd love my kids to really know the story of Taffy 3. (Google it if you don't. It blows away most action fiction.) I don't know if there are any books about it, but I'd love to see a similar treatment given the people around the Chernobyl disaster. Politics aside, a firefighter volunteering for a one way walk down a melting road to fight a fire for a few minutes deserves to have their story told. I would love to see Ron Howard do either of these.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Sounds like you should write it. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Had I opted for that film camera instead of a computer back in 1980,i might have the chops. I'd hate to be responsible for either story getting the Pearl Harbor treatment. Like LoTR, some films are best unmade until somebody can do it right.
Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
I would love to see a well done production dramatizing the events related in "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". The book is nonfiction, and obviously would have to be dramatized, but if done with the care given Band of Brothers, could be magnificent. I'd love my kids to really know the story of Taffy 3. (Google it if you don't. It blows away most action fiction.) I don't know if there are any books about it, but I'd love to see a similar treatment given the people around the Chernobyl disaster. Politics aside, a firefighter volunteering for a one way walk down a melting road to fight a fire for a few minutes deserves to have their story told. I would love to see Ron Howard do either of these.

A movie about the Chernobyl incident would definitely be something I would like to go and see.  I agree that you should be the one to write it. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Some I'd like to see made:

• Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger
  • The Old Silent by Martha Grimes
  • Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
  • The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
  • The Alienist by Caleb Carr
  • The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story by Stephen R. Donaldson

Some I'd like to see remade properly:

• Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
  • The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
  • Fatherland by Robert Harris
  • Kilkenny by Louis L'Amour
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

I will never completely forgive whoever chickened out and decided not to make "At the Mountains of Madness" into a movie.  Oh, I understand the reasons:  we Lovecraft fans ("Lovecrafties," perhaps?) are so much in the minority that it really wouldn't have been financially feasible to make such a movie, especially with the economy as far down the toilet as it was at the time the project was cancelled.  But that really doesn't make me any less annoyed that they dangled the prospect in front of us, then said, "Just kidding!"

Would they have botched it and made a terrible movie?  Probably.  Would it have been worth Netflixing anyway?  Absolutely!

Jeff

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I just finished Neil Gaiman's new short novel: The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  I thought it was an outstanding story and would make a great movie.  It is in the vein of Stephen King stories, and is a gripping tale of a brief time in the life of a 7-year-old boy living in England in the modern era.  If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. 

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

This thread doesn't say if the movie is for theater or television, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I would most like to see a decent remake of The Martian Chronicles, understanding that in order for this to be accomplished, it'd probably have to be a two-season miniseries of some sort.  And in order to be a faithful version, it'd probably have to be set in an alternative timeline where technology is more advanced but social change is much slower (Way in the Middle of the Air, for example).  Each episode would have a different director -- Tim Burton for Usher II (Johnny Depp would be an excellent Stendahl, Martin Landau as the ex-horror star Pikes, and Paul Giamatti as the unimaginative, puritanical enemy of what they stand for), for example.  How to end it, I don't really know -- there are two good ending stories, one in the book and the other ending up in The Illustrated Man.  I guess it depends.

MacMcK1957

Ultimately, the problem with The Martican Chronicles (and the reason why the miniseries failed so badly) is that it is not a cohesive narrative in any way.  It's a collection of short stories that are all about Mars, but have no common themes, characters, or history.  They're not even in the same timeline, as features of some stories are contradicted by others.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Mac, and that lack of cohesion is why I HATED that book.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MacMcK1957

Because it's not a book. It's a collection of short stories, some good, some not so much, written at different times for different publications. The mistake (an exceedingly common one) is to treat it as if it is one work. It's not, and never was.
Contributor
Dresh
0 Kudos

Would love to see a mini series from John Ringo's, Legacy of the Aldenata Series

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I'd like to see The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress done (but only if done properly -- nothing like what Verhoeven did to Starship Troopers).  It would probably have to be done as a mini-series to get all the socio-political context in but you could probably fit the major points of the story into a single 3-3.5 hour epic.

The "science" is of course a bit dated but Rocket Ship Galileo would be a fun epic as well.  I'd love to see the telepathic scenes done.

A Spell for Chameleon would probably be doable as a single fun movie with today's CGI and I think kids would get a kick out of the difference between Talents and Mundanes, swapping back and forth between worlds and bad puns.  I realize the Adult Conspiracy wasn't mentioned until Crewel Lye but it could be worked in and would certainly provide kids with additional reason to enjoy the story.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Contributor
Toad_Schmidt
0 Kudos

I'd like to see Brent Weeks "Night Angel Trilogy" made into film. 

Just watched "The Mortal Instruments" movie last night and it was only ok. Casting of actors was nothing like what i pictured in my head, and they changed a lot of the book to fit the script into the time limit.