Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

What discussions would you like to see on this board?

Please make suggestions and I'd be happy to add new ones.

I'm so please with how our little board has taken off!
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: What discussions would you like to see on this board?

Lily,

How about how mystery and science fiction/fantasy have mixed and who readers feel does the best job and why some authors can't make it work.

I know that Mercedes Lackey did a good job in her book Four and Twenty Blackbirds. But I would like to see how others feel.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
VonnieG
0 Kudos

Would it be possible to do a discussion on Terry Brooks, The Sword of Shannara series(and books spawned from the original series)? And/or the Dragon Lance series?
Contributor
Rebma55
0 Kudos

It would be cool to see a post on Christopher Paolini and the Eragon series. I would love to see that trilogy come to a close.
Enjoy life; there is plenty of time to be dead.
Contributor
Rebma55
0 Kudos

VonnieG wrote:
Would it be possible to do a discussion on Terry Brooks, The Sword of Shannara series(and books spawned from the original series)? And/or the Dragon Lance series?

That'd be cool. I just started on the Drizzt books and I love them!
Enjoy life; there is plenty of time to be dead.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

When is Do Androids Dream of electric Sleep? scheduled for discussion?
Contributor
acmitchell
0 Kudos

VonnieG wrote:

I second that motion from VonnieG concerning the Dragonlance series...I read the original series years ago and am going out to Barnes and Nobles each week and getting a new volume as I gear up to get back into the series and find out what happened to all of myfavorite characters from the original series.
I hear, I forget
I see, I understand
I do and I know...

-Confucious
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

acmitchell wrote:

VonnieG wrote:

I second that motion from VonnieG concerning the Dragonlance series...I read the original series years ago and am going out to Barnes and Nobles each week and getting a new volume as I gear up to get back into the series and find out what happened to all of myfavorite characters from the original series.

Poor poor Tasslehoff.....:-(.

I'll say I loved the original series by Weis and Hickman and the Twins Trilogy was great too but some of the stuff to continue the story hasn't done much for me.

Would love to see some of the earlier Drizzit books pop up (just not the first Trilogy start with say book 4) or some early Discworld or Thursday Next stuff.
Contributor
Regaren
0 Kudos

I would love to see a discussion on George RR Martin's seires "Song of Fire and Ice."
Reader
Katego
0 Kudos

Hi,
I just recently finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It won a Quill Award this year. I enjoyed it a lot but I am interested in hearing what others have to say about it. I have very few criticisms of the book and lots of praise. I also want to know where everyone else who has read it thinks the author may be going with it. It's a bit long but I feel it may even make a good book of the month if people are up for it. I'd read it again just for the discussions.

Thanks for considering it.
~ Katego Raven
"I'd never met a coffee that wasn't wonderful. It was just a matter of how wonderful it was." Anita Blake
Contributor
acmitchell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
What is "The Name of the Wind" about? That is a new one to me, and I am always looking for good, new authors... I am interested in what the storyline is about, but don't give away the plot :smileyhappy:

Let me know and maybe I will pcik a copy up this week and read/discuss with you...

-A

Message Edited by acmitchell on 10-28-2007 11:20 PM
I hear, I forget
I see, I understand
I do and I know...

-Confucious
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

What discussions would you like to see on this board?

Anything! People on this board seem to like to talk about "what" they have read and "what" they would like to discuss but they do not want to discuss any particular book. In three months there were 11 postings for the Storm Front discussion, for the next month's discussion book Hitchhiker there were six posts, and four for last month's Androids.

Part of the problem might be the variety of interest here. Not enough people like the same type of Fantasy and Science Fiction books. It is a big field. Also, when it comes to discussion, people don't particularly want to reread a book they read many years ago so they can only make general comments on them and not actually participate in a discussion.

The monthly book choices have been thought-provoking enough for discussion but obviously do not have a broad enough appeal. So is there a book or a series that members of the group would really want to put time into to reading (or rereading) and actually talk about it?

The only one I have seen come up frequently that people might read or reread and actually talk about has been the Hobbit-Lord of the Ring series. So that would be my vote but I'm open to any suggestions that might have a broad enough appeal to actually get a discussion going here.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

November Book

I just realized that I don't even know what book for discussion is for November and November discussions seem to be starting today. I had to do a bit of hunting to find out, but for those of you wondering as well:

November: Redwall, by Brian Jacques. When the peaceful life of ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.
Reader
Katego
0 Kudos

"The Name of the Wind" is, well, I'm really bad at these summaries so here's one that was on the website for the book.

"Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard." http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp

It's the first of a trilogy and it's colorful and imaginative.

If you read and want to discuss, I'd be much pleased. :smileytongue: Happy reading.
~ Katego Raven
"I'd never met a coffee that wasn't wonderful. It was just a matter of how wonderful it was." Anita Blake
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

How do people feel about Sharon Shinn's The Twelve House's Series? I have all four now since her last book in the series came out on the first. It s called Reader and Raelynx. I liked all of her books but especially like this series. Would like to hear how others feel.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
Lucid
0 Kudos

I picked up The Name of the Wind randomly and I thought it was amazing. I love fantasy but I am very picky about what I read. I would gladly read this book again his writing is almost poetic at times and the book contains all the great elements of an epic story. I am very excited to read the second installment in this series and I can not wait until it comes out.
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Since a movie is due out soon, I would love to see a Beowulf thread.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

As for me, I would like a thread on Ray Bradbury's all-time, any-time classic "Something Wicked This Way Comes". I apologize if there's already a thread on it since I only just began reading this board.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

=====It would be cool to see a post on Christopher Paolini and the Eragon series. I would love to see that trilogy come to a close=========

I am bummed that the third book isn't out yet. Now there is talk of turning the trilogy in to a quad! I say Boy Finish the Third One!!!

I have to say I really hated the Eragon movie. It may have been ok if I had never read the book but since I had, it was awful.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Are you kidding about the Eragon movie?! Its plot meandered so far from the book that every single scene semmed implausible. I almost thought it was a joke when I rented the DVD! Especially when Saphira flew into the sky and mysteriously landed as an adult...
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy: