Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Amp1025

Re: What got you to start reading?

My mom had me reading before I can remember. I always had Dr. Seuss books on my shelf, but there are a few others that stick out in my mind as to what really started me into this great addiction. The first is The Bridge to Terabithia (yes the one they made the movie out of). My 5th grade reading teacher gave everyone a book for Christmas, I got that one, and I loved it. That same Christmas, someone gave me The Witch of Blackbird Pond, which I must have read at least 10 times (the front cover started to fall off.) Then, the Christmas after that, I received my first Harry Potter book. (I was 11 at the time.) I got to grow up with Harry after that. The last book came out when I was 17. Also, a an event that really made it snowball for me was when I was in 9th grade and a friend of mine suggested going to the library with her after school. The world of books and reading was busted wide open for me to peer into. That was my journey.

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

I became deeply involved in reading out of a sense of self-preservation.

My two older sisters had quite a sense of humor, and their practical jokes often went awry (when I was six, the nurses in the local emergency room thought I had moved away because it had been more than a year since I was in there to get stitched up).

Mom's rules were that we had to play together and I had to do whatever my sisters said because they were older.

Fortunately, Dad's rule was that you couldn't disturb someone when they were reading.

Every time I got an "uh-oh, I don't think I'm going to like what's going to happen" feeling, I'd run inside and pick up a book.

I read The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius when I was in the second grade. I didn't understand any of it, but just sounding out the words felt like I was drawing a warm and cozy blanket around myself.

Later I began to have more age-appropriate books, and the intensity of my desire to read drew me deeply into other worlds. Dumas let me ride with the Musketeers, Asimov took me to Mars, and Poe led me through the dark side of life.

It may sound sad, but most of the greatest moments of my young life were spent in the company of imaginary characters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Frequent Contributor
Shrew
0 Kudos

It started in grade school with Harriet the Spy.  Our teacher was reading it to us one chapter a day; that's what it felt like anyway.  I was really getting into the story, and one chapter a day just wasn't enough, so I got a copy from the library and started reading it at home myself, after that it was Ray Bradbury and Jules Verne.

~ Pam
http://smiling-raindrops.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Shrew wrote:

It started in grade school with Harriet the Spy.  Our teacher was reading it to us one chapter a day; that's what it felt like anyway.  I was really getting into the story, and one chapter a day just wasn't enough, so I got a copy from the library and started reading it at home myself, after that it was Ray Bradbury and Jules Verne.

Shrew:

Ah, Harriet the Spy is a classic!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Shrew wrote:

Oh wow I forgot about Harriet the Spy, my daughter loved that book.

Contributor
KellyB2

I got addicted to reading very young and started out with Wizard of Oz and all the other Oz books.  I was very fortunate to have parents who loved reading and they took my to the library and even on field trips to meet the "real Munchkin".  From the I moved on to Babysitters club and Sweet valley twins. FInally in high school I started with VC Andrews and Anne Rice.  My husband got me interested in sci-fi and fantasy and I have read Narnia and The golden compass to our children so much the covers have fallen off!  I am hoping that reading "Bug" both my husband and I have will pass off to our kids.  That's one bug I definitely don't mind they getting.

Kelly
Contributor
Clever_Pen_Name

I used to loathe reading. So much so that when I was in the 6th  grade (about ‘85-86) I was reading at just around a 2nd grade reading level.  I just couldn’t grasp the words.

It wasn’t until my father tried to get me more interested in reading by introducing me to comic books. I tiptoed into it.. struggled with the words at first, but my father was always on standby to assist.  Within a year I was reading Tolkien, and by the 9th grade, I was adding Michener’s

“Space” to my Christmas list.

I don’t care how immature comic books may come off to some people, I’ll always stand-by them as a fantastic tool for introducing reading to anyone who may be struggling.

Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife
0 Kudos

I can't remember a time where i wasn't reading.  I think I can probably blame my mom for everything.  She was the one to give my my first book...something about an umbrella but i can't quiet remember.  She was the one to introduce me to Tolkien, forcing me to read the books before she agreed to let me see the movies.  I just ate the books up and couldn't wait for more.  Unfortunately, or really fortunately, this love spilled out into other books and my bank account has never been the same.  I swear walking into a B&N is equal mixture heaven and hell.  I love having so many options but i don't think my wallet ever really forgives me.  If it wasn't for my mom and her bookcases of Dickinson, Tolkien, and the ever important Jane Austin, i would probably be a much richer, but seriously deprived person today.

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
New User
anr1306

I am 32 years old now, and the crazy thing was I just started reading for the fun of it about 18 months ago. After being made fun of by every so called educator I work with because THE TWILIGHT SAGA !!!!  got me reading again, I have decided I will not hand my head in shame.  I love those books, and have re-read them several times now.  I have not been able to stop.  Although I have been partial to Fantasy novels (reading...Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy..ect..) I have been branching out now to all different books.  So all I can say is

Thank You to Ms. STEPHANIE MEYERS for giving me my adult escape that I did not know I was missing.:womanvery-happy:

Reader 2
San-Miguel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This really is a great question! Growing up I had to read through summers for Grammar & High School and was tested on the books in English classes in September. I hated it..The majority of the Books were terrible and it did not hold my interest at all. I did read J.R.R Tolkein's "The Hobbit", in a guess maybe 7th Grade, that gave me my first glimpse of what the Fantasy genre had to offer. 

After this (School Testing on Summer reading..) nothing could get me to read on my own. It wasn't until after I graduated from College (about 10 years ago now...) and had a business trip with a decently long plane ride and it was suggested by my Dad get a book for the trip. I found James Patterson's "The Jester".

I lost it for this book, couldn't put it down, and it reminded me of 7th grade when I read "The Hobbit". I immediately starting reading "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and it hasn't stopped since! The Fantasy genre has so much to offer anyone - young, old, etc. I have been an avid reader of this genre ever since - Escapism at its best! I am always looking for the next Series to read or a new Author to get into... So thanks to that 7th Grade English teacher that put "The Hobbit" on the summer reading list & the my Dad's advice on that business trip, that reminded me of it.

~San Miguel

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I was probaly four when i became facinated with reading books. I got my very own libary card and reading took off from their. My kindergarden teacher encouraged me to read books but i didn't become an avid reader until  high school.

I remember i use to be excited for summer, not because of the hot sunny days but because the school gave out a reading list and we had to read three or four books off of it. I, of course, read more like 8 or 9.

Then in middle school, i abruptly stopped reading. Kids thought it was "uncool" to read. So, instead, i started writing my own. =)

High School then came and i began to read more. I learned about mythology and great writers in school and it sparked my love again. So now, I am a senior in highschool and i take so many books out of the school libary that the libarian knows my name and i know most of the books in the libary.