New User
eyeverve
0 Kudos

What is the title of this Science Fiction short story?

I read the short story I am about to describe years ago and can't seem to locate it anywhere. I would appreciate any help in locating the title.

A man wondering through the woods came across an unusual object that he thought was man-made and looked out of place. I believe it resembled some form of a metal cube in the ground. He soon discovered that there was a puzzle he could solve to unlock the cube and reveal another puzzle. That puzzle unlocked another and so on. This continued and the puzzles got harder and harder. If he didn't complete one puzzle within a certain amount of time, the previous puzzle would lock him out again. He finally got to a puzzle that involved complex chemical reactions and things he didn't understand. After spending hours in the woods solving these puzzles he had to eventually give up.

Then the story jumped to a far away galaxy where some advanced alien life form recorded that planet X had just increased it's intelligence level from 21 to 23 (approx), but it wouldn't have to worry about the planet until it got level 50 (approx).

It was basically showing an example of our possible insignificance compared to what else is in the universe.

It was probably only 10-20 pages in length.

Thanks for any help! 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: What is the title of this Science Fiction short story?

My guess is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett, written in 1943. SF classic...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
eyeverve
0 Kudos

Re: What is the title of this Science Fiction short story?

Nope...it isn't that...my description pretty much surmises the entire short story I'm trying to find. There is really only one character in the entire story except for the highly intelligent being mentioned in the last page or so.

Thank you for taking a guess, though.