Frequent Contributor
jplatzer
0 Kudos

Who are the Best Fantasy Authors (in your humble opinions)

Hello all -

I'm coming back to Fantasy reading after a fairly long hiatus (I love history so I read quite a bit of that as well). I've always been a huge Dragonlance fan (Weis and Hickman are amazing). Tolkien is obviously great. I've gotten recommendations for the following:

1. George R.R. Martin
  2. Raymond Feist
  3. Joe Abercrombie
  4. Steven Erikson
  5. Patrick Rothfuss
I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations for series. I tend to like the long, epic series of stories. Nothing is more frustrating than reading an awesome book only to realize that the story is all over. Thanks guys.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Who are the Best Fantasy Authors (in your humble opinions)

Welcome jplatzer,

You might like Tad Williams Otherland series and they are getting ready to rerelease Janny Wurts Mistwraith series.  Then again you might like Ken Scholes series Psalms Of Issak; just Lamentations out right now but in October the second book Canticle is coming out.  R.A. Salvatore's Demon Wars series are good too.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

I'm kind of old-fashioned and don't know the new authors.  I most like Tolkien, Terry Brooks (Shannara), Stephen R. Donaldson (Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), and Anne McCaffrey (Pern).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I agree with all the picks so far and I'll add Brandon Sanderson to the list, total awesomeness!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Fairly easy calls for me. In no particular order:

Terry Pratchett

Guy Gavriel Kay

Glen Cook

Micheal Moorcock

Raymond Feist

I'd put Tolkien in the "Grand Master" category as the precursor to all the great fantasy we  enjoy today.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I totally agree on your picks and would add David Eddings to the group. While I have read some of the others mentioned in this string, I haven't read enough to call them my favorites. But these.....    :smileywink:

dulcinea3 wrote:
I'm kind of old-fashioned and don't know the new authors.  I most like Tolkien, Terry Brooks (Shannara), Stephen R. Donaldson (Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), and Anne McCaffrey (Pern).

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
jplatzer
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions. I actually picked up the following at Borders yesterday to start:

1. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
  2. Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen Series) - Steve Erikson
  3. Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
I just started reading A Game of Thrones. I'm a huge fan of David Eddings. I read the Belgariad many years ago and finished most of the Mallorean as well. He's one of my favorite fantasy authors ever. I also love R.A. Salvatore. All of the books about Drizzt Do'Urden are excellent, though I admit I haven't read any of the recent stuff. I like Robert Jordan as well but never had the stamina to finish the whole series.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

If you're sticking to the new stuff, Toni is absolutely right – Ken Scholes. I'd also add Patrick Rothfuss, Bob Salvatore, Feist and, of course, Brandon Sanderson!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
SLCSim
0 Kudos

I would have to say that R.A. Salvatore is my favorite. The last few books with Drizzt have grown stale, however I loved Homeland. I have gotten into the Dragon Lance Series and I like Tracy and Weiss writings.
Frequent Contributor
jplatzer
0 Kudos

No arguements here. Dragonlance was my introduction to the world of fantasy novels. That's how I started in high school. Love Weis and Hickman. R.A. Salvatore is great. I haven't read the most recent Drizzt books, but the Dark Elf Trilogy was incredible for me.

I started reading Gardens of the Moon (Scott Erikson) and Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) last night. Both are excellent. I'm also reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm enjoying that one as well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

jplatzer wrote:

No arguements here. Dragonlance was my introduction to the world of fantasy novels. That's how I started in high school. Love Weis and Hickman. R.A. Salvatore is great. I haven't read the most recent Drizzt books, but the Dark Elf Trilogy was incredible for me.

I started reading Gardens of the Moon (Scott Erikson) and Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) last night. Both are excellent. I'm also reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm enjoying that one as well.

Don't forget, The Name of the Wind will be our major discussion book for August. There will be a whole thread devoted to this book.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

jplatzer wrote:

You'll love "Gardens of the Moon". Just be ready to do some hardcore reading, every book in that series is like 900+ pages. Gotta pay attention too, lots going on in those. I liked this series better than Martin's. That said, the first book in that series is maybe the best one. Rothfuss is in a class by himself, we're all impatiently waiting for the next book. You got good taste J.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
jplatzer
0 Kudos

Thanks Brad. I am really enjoying both Gardens of the Moon and Name of the Wind. I haven't gotten into the Martin book as much yet. Then again, I'm reading it when I have free time at work so maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance. The other two really grabbed me from the beginning though.