Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

JohnSuter wrote:
I have a dog named Perrin. Let's see who gets that reference. :smileyhappy:

Perrin t'Bashere Aybara.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

re: Perrin - Wheel of ime - my son uses Perrin as his gaming name.

There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

...your friends call you at work using your gaming name.

...your default ringtone on your phone is the Star Wars theme.

...your favorite curses are in fantasy languages.

...you carry a d20 in your purse just in case you get off work early!

Contributor
Footballbutterfly

How about when you are playing words with friends/scrabble/etc and try to use names of characters/worlds/phrases/etc to form your responses?  I am a frequent offender.

Or when you get a tattoo in Elvish (after diligently looking up the various forms of Elvish and cross-checking that your symbols are correct for the dialect you have chosen)?

Or when your fantasy football team is named after fantasy worlds/characters?

Or when you insist on dressing your kids up as Luke and Leia, Legolas and Gimli, and Frodo and Sam for halloween three consecutive years?

Sadly, I think my list goes on....and on....and on.....*sigh*

Author of YA Epic Fantasy Series ESTELAN and the adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Emerald Seer Series (as Violet Patterson)
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

luciadelabyss wrote:

...your default ringtone on your phone is the Star Wars theme.

In the new movie, Ted, one of the clues to problems in the main character's relationship is that his ring tone for calls from his girlfriend is the Darth Vader theme.

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

LOL!  I work in a theater that is playing this, but haven't seen more than small pieces of it yet.  My son watched but didn't tell me this..just that I would like it.  :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
WONK

You write your own incantations based on the original mythology Tolkien copied.  (You've actually read the original mythology.)

You have 1930 - 50s Ace and Ballantine book covers on your walls.

You know the original work of the staff writers on Star Trek.

You discuss SF topics with scientists across the world and post to NASA.

Your SF and reference library takes more than 2 rooms of space in your home.

To communicate with your friends you have to work around the World SF Convention dates.

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pulpwriting/messages
New User
Low_Rider
0 Kudos

...you know the proper response to the greeting, "Life is short..."

New User
Low_Rider
0 Kudos

...you tell your wife that the round vents on the front bumper of your car are the intake ports for the Bussard ram jet drive.

New User
Low_Rider
0 Kudos

...you know the connection between the late William Windom and the FIRST Star Trek movie.

dhaupt

You attend The Star Wars Reads Day, this Saturday, check your local B&N to see where you can attend the event near you

Publishers, Booksellers, Librarians Gear Up for Star Wars Reads Day 

Wordsmith
Sheripie55

When your dogs name is Smeagle.

When you have your childrens future names planned to be; Egwene, Moraine, Perrin, (and boy, do I have more!)

When you've read many of the same series more than once, (The Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, etc)

When you have quotes from Gandolf hanging on your wall.

And when you're a 17 year old girl in high school who enjoys have conversations with the Geeky Fantasy Fan teachers... And you understand everything they are saying and what books they are talking about.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.