paulgoatallen

You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

This thread was inspired in large part by a reference to MST3K (Mystery Science Theatre 3000) and Jon B's (non-derogatory!) comment about SF nerds...

I happen to believe SF/Fantasy nerds, geeks – whatever you want to call them – are on the cutting edge of cool. So here's a thread to declare yourself to the world. Stand tall! Walk proud! 

Just finish this statement:  You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

I'll start us off with a few:

...you know all about the significance of Star Trek's red uniform.

...you have named a pet after a LOTR character.

...you have actually read The Silmarillion.

...you have been a Dungeon Master.

Get the picture? Let's hear from YOU!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

...When you know all the magical creatures and races.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

[ Edited ]
When you post on Barnes & Noble Fantasy/Science Fiction Board
Message Edited by fforgnayr on 01-21-2009 09:05 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
VTfan

You've seen the favorite tv show (Star Trek- original) so many you say the line before the actor as you watch.
dhaupt

When you would look forward to walking down the isle with a shapeshifter/vampire/elf/werewolf/dragon etc... 
Frequent Contributor
Shootydog

[ Edited ]

You dream Bilbo defeats Sauron by finding the Lost City of Atlantis and using its main power crystal to run the nuclear accelerator on his back so he can travel to Mars to kill emo vampires because their blood contains the metachlorons necessary to become one with the universe and reverse the flow of space/time.

Message Edited by Shootydog on 01-22-2009 08:29 AM
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

I love this board! It's more fun than a space station full of Tribbles.

1- Check the above reference, need I say more?

2- You own a complete set of dice (In cool multiple colors, no less) d4, d6,d8, d10, and d20 (Per Paul's other post maybe the optional 5 lb d100)

3- You think Wallace Shawn deserved an Oscar for Princess Bride (Vezzini)

4- You routinely petition for the return to TV of Firefly, Jericho, Star Trek, MST3k, Forever Knight, and Highlander

5- One of the hightlights of yer life is when you won the Car Wars Tournament at a Con (yep I still got the trophy on my desk, lol!)

6- You believe that RPGs actually convey "life" skills to be used in the real world

7- You own a sword, battle axe, mace or similar items of medieval destruction

8- When you go to a Renfaire you are mistaken for an employee cause you are dressed for the occaision

9- When you got to a Sci-Fi Con you laugh at the "geeks" that are NOT in costume

I could go on forever, but I wanna leave some for others.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen

When you have a Tolkien calendar.

When you have SF/fantasy cover art hanging in your home as art.

When you try to convince your wife that Elric really is a good name for a boy.  

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

[ Edited ]

...you know what THAC0 means... and how to calculate it.

...you've considered someone racially insensitive because they casually confused Klingons with Romulans.

...you've said "what the frak?!" out loud.

...you've administered a Voigt-Kampff test to your kid brother/sister.  Just to be sure.

...you can make perfect lightsaber-fighting sounds with your mouth.

...you know what filk music is, and you've actually listened to it.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-22-2009 07:00 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
paulgoatallen

Jon_B wrote:

...you know what THAC0 means... and how to calculate it.

...you've considered someone racially insensitive because they casually confused Klingons with Romulans.

...you've said "what the frak?!" out loud.

...you've administered a Voigt-Kampff test to your kid brother/sister.  Just to be sure.

...you can make perfect lightsaber-fighting sounds with your mouth.

...you know what filk music is, and you've actually listened to it.

Jon:

You're my new hero.   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou

…..when deep down you would rather say, “Live long and prosper.” then “good-bye”.

….when you’ve at least once tried to move something to you hand by using only your mind.

….when you can list all three of the Unforgivable Curses.

….when you pronounce Aragorn with the “R”.

….when you sat for over five minutes reviewing every book, TV show, and movie you’ve seen just so you can add another line to this forum.

…..when you first saw the teaser trailer for the new Star Trek movie and you were more excited then on your birthday.

….when you know who Carrie Fisher is and the exact outfit that made you remember her.

….when you’ve watched many hours of special features on the “Star Wars” and “Lord of The Rings” DVDs.

....when you know the name of the first female Starfleet Captian.

.....when you know that you could preform a Mind-meld if only you were Vulcan-- lol or when the words "Vulcan" and "Mind-meld" mean something to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

LindsayLou:

Wow. I am more than impressed! If I could give you a Gold Star, I would.  (And, yeah, I've tried that damn telekinesis thing too!)  :smileyhappy:

Great responses! I love it!

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

When you have "My Lady's Eyes", "Demonsbane", and "Kerowyn's Ride" all on your IPod

When you repeatedly create your own hero on heromachine.com just to get the outfit right

When you still remember the character you created for Vampire The Masquerade (a Toreador named Laszlo de Varnier Half French/Half Hungarian who wrote horror novels, plus childrens books under a different name, played the violin and owned a ghouled Irish Wolfhound named Mazrim)

Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

...when you have "keep" and "lend" copies of all your favorite books

...when your child has their own sword and costume

...if you've actually written Filk songs

...if you've ditched class because it was your "turn" in an online RPG

...when you your child write/draws pcitures of vampires/dragons/fairies in school

...when you have conversations about hyperdrives while at dinner in a nice resteraunt

...you consider someone "culturally depraved" because they haven't read the "real classics"

...you refuse to take a family memeber to rennfaire unless they dress in costume

LOL, this is so much fun.  Great idea Paul!

~Suzanne

Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

LindsayLou:

Wow. I am more than impressed! If I could give you a Gold Star, I would.  (And, yeah, I've tried that damn telekinesis thing too!)  :smileyhappy:

Great responses! I love it!

Paul 

……When your 98% convinced that you were born in the wrong time period, dimension, or galaxy.

…...When you told your family about this forum thinking they’d be bigger nerds, but learned you were wrong.

Thanks Paul! I’d treasure that gold star lol. No lie, I tried that telekinesis thing just the other day--- it didn’t work.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Uh....do I kicked out of the club if I don't know what a "filk" song is?

and more signs to mull over:

- You have one of those college looking window stickers that says "Starfleet Academy" or "Romulan Military Academy"

- You know someone in yer circle of friends, who despite being in their 30's, still lives with their parents and works in a gaming store.

- When you hike in a quiet wood, you are sometimes disappointed that no Elves appeared.

- World Domination is not just passing idea for you, you've really thought hard about it and have a working model in you head for how to accomplish it.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
Shootydog

...When you show up at your local gaming store to play Star Fleet Battles and your wearing a nasal strip for improved oxygen flow.

(The above is a true story..I witnessed this)

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Ryan_G

When you won't take leaves or bark off a tree just in case Wood Nymphs really exist.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bradinator1 wrote:

I love this board! It's more fun than a space station full of Tribbles.

1- Check the above reference, need I say more?

2- You own a complete set of dice (In cool multiple colors, no less) d4, d6,d8, d10, and d20 (Per Paul's other post maybe the optional 5 lb d100)

3- You think Wallace Shawn deserved an Oscar for Princess Bride (Vezzini)

4- You routinely petition for the return to TV of Firefly, Jericho, Star Trek, MST3k, Forever Knight, and Highlander

5- One of the hightlights of yer life is when you won the Car Wars Tournament at a Con (yep I still got the trophy on my desk, lol!)

6- You believe that RPGs actually convey "life" skills to be used in the real world

7- You own a sword, battle axe, mace or similar items of medieval destruction

8- When you go to a Renfaire you are mistaken for an employee cause you are dressed for the occaision

9- When you got to a Sci-Fi Con you laugh at the "geeks" that are NOT in costume

I could go on forever, but I wanna leave some for others.

Brad

1 guilty

2 is it bad if I mention that my collection takes 2 crowl royal bags to carry?

3 at least a nomination

4 no, but I do send "what the hell were you thining when you canseled" letters

5 congrats man

6 but they do!

7 guilty

8 not guilty

9 not guilty, but at least when I go "did you see that guy in the ........ costume?" I know what they are dressed as and at least the comic or show, if not the season and epidsode it came from

and 2. it's the size of a golf ball and much much lighter actually

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 01-24-2009 03:02 AM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
When you won't take leaves or bark off a tree just in case Wood Nymphs really exist.
Ryan:
I love this one!
Paul