Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

gegarland wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

[...]

7. When your children expect you to be prepared to be the medical person when the Fire 

Dies, and you actually have a forty-pound "first-aid" kit.

When you thought about having some kind of LASIK-style surgery

before Y2K because you wanted to make sure you could _see_ if

world civilization collapsed.

Good one! Have your appendix removed, also gall bladder. And go to the dentist. WOW! I can think of whole bunch of medical-related preparations.

We have now reached the "geekier than thou" stage of this thread... I love it.!!

There are more of us than you think.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

gegarland wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

[...]

7. When your children expect you to be prepared to be the medical person when the Fire 

Good one! Have your appendix removed, also gall bladder. And go to the dentist. WOW! I can think of whole bunch of medical-related preparations.

We have now reached the "geekier than thou" stage of this thread... I love it.!!

You need both your gall blader and your apendix. People with out their gall bladders have endocrinmic problems. And last year they actually did discover what the apendix does, manufactures/cultures bacteria for the digestive breakdown of foods.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

gegarland wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

[...]

You need both your gall blader and your apendix. People with out their gall bladders have endocrinmic problems. And last year they actually did discover what the apendix does, manufactures/cultures bacteria for the digestive breakdown of foods.

Tigg:

You make a good point. While it's true that they both serve a real purpose, you CAN live without them, BUT you cannot live with them if they go bad on you, and when the fire dies, I think surgeons will be few and far between. It's really a personal choice, I guess, and a test of JUST HOW GEEKY ARE YOU???

Don't you love this thread? It really makes you think about your skill set. I remember a SF short story I read a long time ago. (I don't recall the title.) A present day man found himself back in pre-industrial times, and thought he would have the world by the tail, but came very quickly to realize that he had no usable skills and was pretty much worthless. I think he wound up being a slave.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

gegarland wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

[...]

Tigg:

You make a good point. While it's true that they both serve a real purpose, you CAN live without them, BUT you cannot live with them if they go bad on you, and when the fire dies, I think surgeons will be few and far between. It's really a personal choice, I guess, and a test of JUST HOW GEEKY ARE YOU???

Don't you love this thread? It really makes you think about your skill set. I remember a SF short story I read a long time ago. (I don't recall the title.) A present day man found himself back in pre-industrial times, and thought he would have the world by the tail, but came very quickly to realize that he had no usable skills and was pretty much worthless. I think he wound up being a slave.

I'm thinking my father may have read that story. I had to learn how to milk a cow and a goat, churn butter, split wood, start fire with out matches or lighter, cook food with only tools I could manufature, stitch wounds, set bones, advanced first aid, scare a bear away, safe wild foods, smoke meat, sun jerky, and hit a target with primate weapons.

Or was that because I'm native American mixed blood, a child of a nurse, and a scout master.

(chuckle)

Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

Wonderful!  This is a lovely thread!  Wow Tiggerbear, next time I go in the woods, I'd like to take you with me!;0)
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

VTfan wrote:
Wonderful!  This is a lovely thread!  Wow Tiggerbear, next time I go in the woods, I'd like to take you with me!;0)

I second that!!! Are you available for adoption???
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

I had to learn how to milk a cow and a goat, churn butter, split wood, start fire with out matches or lighter, cook food with only tools I could manufature, stitch wounds, set bones, advanced first aid, scare a bear away, safe wild foods, smoke meat, sun jerky, and hit a target with primate weapons.

Jeepers! I can proofread, pirouette, teach phonics, recite picture books from memory ... if the end comes, I'm doomed! Tigg, may I be your future assistant? I could organize and keep records of your various tools and weapons...

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

I had to learn how to milk a cow and a goat, churn butter, split wood, start fire with out matches or lighter, cook food with only tools I could manufature, stitch wounds, set bones, advanced first aid, scare a bear away, safe wild foods, smoke meat, sun jerky, and hit a target with primate weapons.

Jeepers! I can proofread, pirouette, teach phonics, recite picture books from memory ... if the end comes, I'm doomed! Tigg, may I be your future assistant? I could organize and keep records of your various tools and weapons...

Picture books recite from memory, proof read   good skills to have

My normal everyday skills; cook very well, put a computer togeather from parts and I'm getting better at programing it, baby sit both kids and adults, paint,  an such.

But I'd probably fall over if I tried to pirouette. And never did master the cartwheel or bicycle. An most machines hate me, husband just had to fix the treadmil yesterday. "what did you do to it!? (shrug) no idea". I once crashed the car sneezing. 

Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr

When your bookcase is taller and wider than you are and filled with nothing but fantasy novels.

When the books you own out weigh you....

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

You want to go to the Smithsonian in Washington just so you can see the original bridge set from Star Trek.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

You want to go to the Smithsonian in Washington just so you can see the original bridge set from Star Trek.

Brad

I had no idea the Smithsonian had that!  I wonder how many other icons I would see.  Perhaps a pilgrimage is in order!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

VTfan wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

I had no idea the Smithsonian had that!  I wonder how many other icons I would see.  Perhaps a pilgrimage is in order!

I was not aware either that they had that.  That would be a neat trip to make with the kid also.  Although, the kid may not see the excitment the same way, and just thinks I am an old geek.  There is that word again, geek.  Well, I guess I am...

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

VTfan wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

I was not aware either that they had that.  That would be a neat trip to make with the kid also.  Although, the kid may not see the excitment the same way, and just thinks I am an old geek.  There is that word again, geek.  Well, I guess I am...

Mel

Yep and they did have a couple of the models used for f/x shots. But the Smithsonian changes displays on a regular basis. They will give you an update if you email them about certain exibits. 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

VTfan wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Mel

Yep and they did have a couple of the models used for f/x shots. But the Smithsonian changes displays on a regular basis. They will give you an update if you email them about certain exibits. 

I will have to look it up on their site and get the dates.

Thanks.

Melissa

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Dorthy's Ruby Slippers are there too!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

There's no place like home...

I am going to have to save up some money quickly to go.  I have wanted to go there but just haven't made it.  Now I will have to make it.

Melissa

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

PenelopeTX
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Does this have anything to do with those Red Shoe Diaries movies?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote: 

Paul 

PenelopeTX
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote: 

Paul 

(chuckle) There's alot of becareful what you put on, faery myths out there. Shoes were a popular choice for booby traps.