Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Hello, Melhay! ~~~

I wish I could tell you I got to return many times to the Faire, but, alas, it was not to be...

I did get to go back one more time - over 15 years ago, together with my wife and my daughter...

We all went expecting to have a good time, but, once again, the logistics involved in getting there and back again proved a hindrance to the full enjoyment of the experience...

We had to get over from this side of the Bay, first to San Francisco, then over the

Golden Gate Bridge, then up to the northern regions of Marin County, using public transportation all the while...

( & while it is practically possible to get almost anywhere in the Bay Area using public transport, it also tends to take a long  time to get there ) ---

The upshot of this being, it was so darned late in the day again, by the time we finally got off the last bus, traversed the large parking-lot area in front of the Faire, and entered the gates....

We tried to cram as much fun as we could into the time remaining, however ---

( and I did a spot of "Archery Practice" with my daughter at the Archery Booth ) ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Sorry, Folks ---

I tended to get stuck there ( a bit like a scratched celluoid record ) on my long-winded  tale of the Renn Faire experience, when I had originally set out to explain how, although at times in my life I stood near the brink of Geekdom, I never fell in completely - as with many other things in life, I tended to be more of an observer than an active participant ---

And, I also always tended to be a little "behind the times" on everything, and although, like any other "normal, red-blooded, American kid" had an appreciation for things commercial and "cool", ( like Marvel Comic Books ) I also tended to have my own, more obscure,

"specialized" interests - Also, unlike some of my friends and acquaintances, I never had the opportunity to amass any large collections, ( like comic books or trading cards or action figures or what have you ), so I was never going "full-out" with any fads or manias that might have appealed to me at the time...

In junior high, for instance, I had some friends who knew exactly what the Big Deal was when Marvel Comics published "Conan The Barbarian #1", and who raved about the artwork of Barry Smith, and brought their copies to school wrapped up in a plastic baggie for protection, & had the intention of someday selling this item for big bucks ...

Now, it's not that all this was all foriegn and incomphrensible to me - I understood what it was all about and all that, but at home, I was still nursing my small collection of less than a dozen comic books, which included titles such as "Little Lulu", "Sugar & Spike", "Walt Disney's Comics & Stories" - & some "Classics Illustrated"...

Later on, one of these same childhood friends went into the "Society For Creative Anachronisms", & took an active role there ( whereas, this was something I would just read about, in my Tolkien "Fanzines" ) ---

He took part in a small demonstration of the Art of Broadsword Fighting on the plaza at our high school, along with his opponent,  who had on their costumes and carried their  round wooden shields & whacked furiously  at each other's shields with their respective wooden

"broadswords" for a few minutes ---

I have to confess, the whole bit seemed to be almost embarrassing to watch - as if the whole idea, when actually acted out, seemed somehow to be silly and slightly "juvenile"-

(even for us juveniles! ) ---

Looking back on it, though, I have to laud my childhood friend for being a "man of action", & for being willing to put himself "out there", in the performance of his geeky duties -----

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Ardo, I've enjoyed you Ren Faire exploits, and it reminds me of a few of ours. I'm a rather sedate faire-goer, content to observe, but my sons (adults, mind you) are sword-carrying, into the thick-of it types, the older of which is frequently mistaken for a barbarian. (Of course that happens pretty much everywhere he goes.) Anyway, the last time we went, we were camping in this tiny little town in Colorado near where the Faire is held, and as it turns out, a very large number of the Faire folk were also camping there. It was a joyous night around the campfire, spinning tales and sharing libations. It really awakened the old "run away and join the circus" feeling...  a lot of fun to pretend (for one evening) you might really do it.
There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

....When you lie awake at night ( or, at least, half awake and half asleep ) composing another letter ( in your mind ) to send to a forum just like this one....
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

~~~~HEAVEN FOR SF/FANTASY GEEKS? >>>>

Many moons ago, ( in the very early seventies ) I was wandering about ( as I was wont to do ) in the "South Campus" neighborhood of Berkeley, CA, several blocks south on the infamous boulevard of Telegraph Avenue, ( and a stone's throw away from that equally infamous "People's Park" ) and I ambled into the back-end and the upstairs of a very hippy-dippy courtyard-small sized shopping mall ...

This was in the days before Star Wars and the Star Trek movies, but the Trek Conventions were already in full flower ( I remember seeing the flyers announcing these, usually guested by the somewhat lesser luminaries of the original TV show turned phenomenon/semi-cult, such as James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, De Forest Kelly, George Takai, - I think the biggest name stars [ Nimoy & Shatner ] may have tended to shy away from these events at first -

I could be mistaken in this, this is just my recollection of how it was in those days ) ---

Anyway, passing the portals of this shop tucked away in the corner of this little mall, I discovered:

Those little pewter figurines of Wizards, Dragons, Hobbits, Orcs and Heroes and Elves...

Dungeons & Dragons, but also all those strategic "War" Games...

The "blueprints" for the Starship Enterprise, in their black vinyl  folders...

Posters and T-shirts - my favorite was the one that depicted the Enterprise sailing by ( or hovering in mid-air ) juxtaposed against a foreground that made it appear as though  the scene was somehow taking place in the context of being in  the middle of an ordinary, everyday place during the time period of what was then the present day...

I wanted to believe!!! 

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Believers Welcomed Here!!!

There are more of us than you think.
New User
thepurfessor
0 Kudos

Ah....at last, something I can relate to...7 bookcases, mostly DAW books

a person ahead of their time, is socially unacceptable.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

thepurfessor wrote:

Here's a good one:

You know you're a SF/fantasy geek if you know what DAW stands for!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
marrz74

When you try to convince your wife that Elric really is a good name for a boy.

Ok I have to reply to this one.. My husband named my son Elric LOL

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

thepurfessor wrote:

Here's a good one:

You know you're a SF/fantasy geek if you know what DAW stands for!

Paul 

Now what does it say that I have a shelf with only TOR books?

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

thepurfessor wrote:

a person ahead of their time, is socially unacceptable.

All the Moorcock "Champion Eternal" , "Dray Prescott" novels (hadn't thought about those in forever, forgot the author name but I know it was listed sometimes as "Dray Prescott"). Those alone were worth like 30 odd books right there for DAW.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Now what does it say that I have a shelf with only TOR books?

Tig:

That means you have exceptionally good taste.    :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

.....You're considering ordering the Tiberius cologne on Paul's other thread. I mean, isn't anyone curious what that stuff smells like?

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

.....You're considering ordering the Tiberius cologne on Paul's other thread. I mean, isn't anyone curious what that stuff smells like?

Brad

Brad:

You're hilarious! And what does Tiberius smell like? It smells like... victory.   :smileywink:

Paul 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:
....When you lie awake at night ( or, at least, half awake and half asleep ) composing another letter ( in your mind ) to send to a forum just like this one....

This is not funny.  How did you know?  I hate, well no I actually love it, when I read a book and have so many thoughts that I would like to share and talk about on the book that I can't fall asleep at night.  I lay there thinking of what to say and how to say it.  Then when it gets really bad I have to get up and write it down to just get it out of my head.  Next thing you know it is 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning.  Then you think, well another rough day tomorrow.

You feel like you could sleep while you are at work but when you get home you can't wait to crack the book and think again....

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bradinator1

.....when yer in the Mall and you are thinking about how you would take over, and defend it after the Apocalypse.

Brad

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

[   ...This happened in the very early 1970's... ]

...You are browsing in the big Reading Room of the main branch of the Berkeley Public Library, when you come across a petition, addressed to the Big TV Network Excetutives, which is either pleading for, or demanding the return of, the defunct "Star Trek" series ---

Naturally, you sign it! ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
New User
imissedtheexit
0 Kudos

whatever cologne you buy, don't get the stuff Gaiman is hawking.  I love him, would leave my husband for him (and my husband would gladly hand me over) but that stuff smells like carp!

I am interested in getting the hubby Pi though.  Just because of the name.  Looked at Dune for the name, but it's also pretty gross.  I guess good books don't always make for good smells.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

imissedtheexit wrote:

whatever cologne you buy, don't get the stuff Gaiman is hawking.  I love him, would leave my husband for him (and my husband would gladly hand me over) but that stuff smells like carp!

I am interested in getting the hubby Pi though.  Just because of the name.  Looked at Dune for the name, but it's also pretty gross.  I guess good books don't always make for good smells.

(chuckle) (red faced) now I'm wondering if you really meant crap or did you mean carp?!!

But hey if someone makes a cologne that smells like a book (the book itself not the contents) I'm likely to buy a bottle.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

I thinks "carp" is a common deliberate mispronunciation of a stronger word, as is "crab." 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)