Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

if you read a book and like it, you go read every other book the author ever wrote.
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

TiggerBear wrote:

imissedtheexit wrote:

whatever cologne you buy, don't get the stuff Gaiman is hawking.  I love him, would leave my husband for him (and my husband would gladly hand me over) but that stuff smells like carp!

I am interested in getting the hubby Pi though.  Just because of the name.  Looked at Dune for the name, but it's also pretty gross.  I guess good books don't always make for good smells.

(chuckle) (red faced) now I'm wondering if you really meant crap or did you mean carp?!!

But hey if someone makes a cologne that smells like a book (the book itself not the contents) I'm likely to buy a bottle.

I suspect the smell of Tiberius and carp have a lot in common.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Wow – there are so many potential comments here... but in the interest of keeping my job, I'll just mention the obvious one: wasn't there an Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike in the original ST episode "The Cage"? Maybe Kirk smells like fish (ie: pike) because he's wearing the old captain's uniform...

Paul 

"to go where no fish has gone before..." 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Wow – there are so many potential comments here... but in the interest of keeping my job, I'll just mention the obvious one: wasn't there an Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike in the original ST episode "The Cage"? Maybe Kirk smells like fish (ie: pike) because he's wearing the old captain's uniform...

Paul 

(holding nose) Have you ever smelled a pike before?! I swear it one of the stinkest fishes, and that's when it's alive. I'd stick with the carp.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

HeeHeeHee!  I WAS tired, but you all just make me so happy! 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

"Carp....the Ultimate Frontier.... these are the voyages of the starship Pufferfish..."
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

....You show up at your very first grown-up costume party dressed up as ( what else? ) a hobbit - replete with a dark green vest ( with shiny brass buttons ) and some very furry-looking slippers, as well as toting a long-stemmed pipe ( "Churchwarden" model ) and a small tin of pipe tobacco....
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Paul 

(holding nose) Have you ever smelled a pike before?! I swear it one of the stinkest fishes, and that's when it's alive. I'd stick with the carp.

So do you suppose the "Red Shirt" fragrance smells more like "Red Tide"?

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
New User
MatCauthon
0 Kudos

...you buy "The One Ring" as your wedding ring from Jens Hansen, the gold smith who made the rings used in the LOTR movies.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Paul 

Brad

What IS it about men and dogs?.... Both are preoccupied with THE worst smells.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

MatCauthon wrote:

...you buy "The One Ring" as your wedding ring from Jens Hansen, the gold smith who made the rings used in the LOTR movies.

Ok, got to ask.

Did you buy a matched set? Dosen't that make it the two rings?!

Sorry couldn't help myself. (chuckle)

New User
MatCauthon
0 Kudos

If I did that I probably wouldn't be married right now.

:smileywink:

Bradinator1

TiggerBear wrote:

MatCauthon wrote:

Ok, got to ask.

Did you buy a matched set? Dosen't that make it the two rings?!

Sorry couldn't help myself. (chuckle)

Mat,

I hate to have to tell you this, but you might want to check those Rings. I believe yer gonna find out that she got the One Ring and yours is one of the Nine. You want proof? Screw up somewhere she can't see you (or should I say where you think she can't see you?) believe me,  The All Seeing Eye knows what you did....and you'll hear about it.

Brad

marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

I haven't been posting in awhile, but I just had to add my voice to this thread.  A quick way to spot us SF/Fantasy geeks is many times by the t-shirts we wear.

Saw a big kid the other day in a t-shirt that said "SITH HAPPENS".  Later I realized I hadn't asked him where he'd gotten it. 

Probably a Con, which I haven't been to in a long time, and really miss.  (Are those creepy Creation Con people still running all the SF/Fantasy Cons?  Where they take your admission fee gladly -- then forget to tell you all the main auditorium presentations are standing room only?  In the frickin' hallway?)

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Contributor
qwertbook82

I feel kind of sad that I am not as geeky as everyone else (though I would just say that the focus of my geekiness is different).

...when you are sad that you are not geeky enough

...when your room is painted like a castle.

...when you have so many books, they are just piled on the floor

...when you skip school when an book first comes out.

...when you have a friend that, if you are carrying a book, always asks ifTHIS book has talking horses. (also if you have ever had to explain to someone that the horse wasn't talking in this book, he used mindspeak/telepathy)

...when you get angry when people confuse SF with Fantasy

...when sombody asks you what you are reading and you automatically say "you have never heard of it" (unless it is another "geek" )

...when you mention Joss Whedon/Firefly and no one knows who/what you are talking about

...when you add to discussions by saying "I read this book that said..."

...when you hang out with your friends at Barnes and Noble

...when getting mad if, after mentioning that you read fantasy books, others reply that they have read Harry Potter and Twilight.

...when you feel utterly depressed after finishing a book (because it is over, not because it is a sad book).

...when you hate books because their magical system is improbable.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

qwertbook82 wrote:

...when you feel utterly depressed after finishing a book (because it is over, not because it is a sad book).

Ah, book bereavement. We have all been there. Hang in there, dear friend.

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

...when getting mad if, after mentioning that you read fantasy books, others reply that they have read Harry Potter and Twilight.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! AMEN!

That irks me beyond words!

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
New User
MJ27
0 Kudos

Incredible.... reading this I think I finally found my place in life!  I agree with paul...You definitely make the Hero category.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Paul 

Brad

What IS it about men and dogs?.... Both are preoccupied with THE worst smells.

And WHY do they insist on SHARING them? It's a good thing we love them. But then again...

There are more of us than you think.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

qwertbook82 wrote:

I feel kind of sad that I am not as geeky as everyone else (though I would just say that the focus of my geekiness is different).

...when you are sad that you are not geeky enough

...when your room is painted like a castle.

...when you have so many books, they are just piled on the floor

...when you skip school when an book first comes out.

...when you have a friend that, if you are carrying a book, always asks ifTHIS book has talking horses. (also if you have ever had to explain to someone that the horse wasn't talking in this book, he used mindspeak/telepathy)

...when you get angry when people confuse SF with Fantasy

...when sombody asks you what you are reading and you automatically say "you have never heard of it" (unless it is another "geek" )

...when you mention Joss Whedon/Firefly and no one knows who/what you are talking about

...when you add to discussions by saying "I read this book that said..."

...when you hang out with your friends at Barnes and Noble

...when you hate books because their magical system is improbable.

(smirk) Now who said you weren't as geeky as us?!