Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Geekiness, like beauty, is in the eye (or cam) of the beholder.

I just finished reading this month's WIRED article about the Terminator franchise - it mentions the law of time travel which states that although you arrive at your designated time naked, you will always land near a leather jacket in your size. I think being conversant with laws regarding time travel (and who here is NOT?) is pretty geeky, don't you?

There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot

... when your child's first and middle names both are from F&SF books

... when you reuse your wedding dress by cutting it up with in an inch of its life to be reused as a Halloween costume as a Vampire or and one of the evil Fae

... when you buy all the books in a series after you read the first book

... when you request off work for midnight release parties for books

... when you get upset you cant find baby outfits with your fav book/tv show/ movies on them

What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

......When, in Junior High School, in an English class, you write your first big "paper" on

J.R.R. Tolkien, made out of bits and pieces culled from reference materials and magazine articles dug up down at the Public Library...

The "paper" is lovingly crafted, placed in a blue folder, with hand-made calligraphy

( based on the paperback covers of the LOTR that were out at the time )...

You also write a very brief pastiche of "Star Trek", wherein Scotty must sacrifice his supply of Scotch Whiskey, in order to save the Enterprise from a Space Monster... 

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

Does my preschooler qualify? There are no pillow cases on my bed, because she NEEDED to be a mermaid and so did her dolls. BTW, pillow case = mermaid tail, all her own original idea.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Bibliophile
Melhay

qwertbook82 wrote:

I feel kind of sad that I am not as geeky as everyone else (though I would just say that the focus of my geekiness is different).

...when you are sad that you are not geeky enough

...when your room is painted like a castle.

...when you have so many books, they are just piled on the floor

...when you skip school when an book first comes out.

...when you have a friend that, if you are carrying a book, always asks ifTHIS book has talking horses. (also if you have ever had to explain to someone that the horse wasn't talking in this book, he used mindspeak/telepathy)

...when you get angry when people confuse SF with Fantasy

...when sombody asks you what you are reading and you automatically say "you have never heard of it" (unless it is another "geek" )

...when you mention Joss Whedon/Firefly and no one knows who/what you are talking about

...when you add to discussions by saying "I read this book that said..."

...when you hang out with your friends at Barnes and Noble

...when getting mad if, after mentioning that you read fantasy books, others reply that they have read Harry Potter and Twilight.

...when you feel utterly depressed after finishing a book (because it is over, not because it is a sad book).

...when you hate books because their magical system is improbable.

(he he he) 

You have friends here.  The first step is admitting.  We will be here when you are ready. :smileywink:

(You juust might be closer to us than you thought.)

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
New User
Lord1123
0 Kudos

Great stuff guys. I picked quite a handful of those as things I do or notice.

If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

... when you are assigned to write a 20 page paper in your composition class and decide to write it on the "Evolution of Fiction". (Let the typing begin)
"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

....when yer watching "Castle" w/ Nathan Fillion, and when they go to catch the bad guys at the end you want to yell "Blast 'em Mal!". FYI "Castle" is my new favorite show. Nathan Fillion cracks me up. Crime drama w/ a LOT of his wisenheimer type comedy thrown in. Go watch it! Support an ex-Firefly Captain! ( by the way, watching shows just support actors from yer favorite cancelled, sci-fi show might also be sign you understand this thread)

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Yea.  I cant imagine a reason other than that that I watch Chuck.  (Jane). 

Lily

Dude, Where's my book!
New User
xXxbooksRmylifexXx
0 Kudos

when you spent a whole day ranting to your friend about how some one thought Twilight was Science Fiction

when you know that there are many types of fantsay

'Wierd is good, strange is bad.' -Fitch from The Warrior Heir by: Cinda Williams Chima
number of books i own as of April 10, 2009- 348;number of books i have read since now- cant tell ya cause even i dont know x_x....am i crazy, nope! i just love reading!!!LOL!
New User
blitzcatt
0 Kudos

alright, I'm new to B&N and its threads... but I must say that I have found heaven :smileyhappy: I've lived the past 5 years with people who go, "star wars? wasn't that that movie with natalie portman?" or have never actually heard of it 0-0... when I mention I read fantasy/sci-fi everyone automatically assumes I mean Twilight and Host... It is good to find that more of us do exist!

:smileyvery-happy: here's my addition to the list

... when you quailed (and/or cried) any time any one mentioned leaves or wind for about 3 months to a year. 

... when you are able to convince 200 children to get their names hennaed in elvish, rather than in kanji

...when you know that the One Ring saved your life before moving on to bigger and better things

...when you realize after buying LotR Trivial Pursuit that no one you know will play with you

... when sitting through all three extended/full length LotR films all in one go is considered a right of passage amonst your friends 

... when you refer to actors by their sf/fan names on entirely different shows (Angel and Trillian's big sister, Helo and Faith (and Fred!)) 

... and your friends know who you're talking about

... when you and your friends discuss the wizard Harry and don't mean Potter.

... when the names Solcom, Divcom, Frost, and Beta mean something to you 

... when you actually try to make "Death of Marat"and Killer Zebras

~*~obey the sparklies~*~

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

blitzcatt wrote:

alright, I'm new to B&N and its threads... but I must say that I have found heaven :smileyhappy: I've lived the past 5 years with people who go, "star wars? wasn't that that movie with natalie portman?" or have never actually heard of it 0-0... when I mention I read fantasy/sci-fi everyone automatically assumes I mean Twilight and Host... It is good to find that more of us do exist!

:smileyvery-happy: here's my addition to the list

...when you realize after buying LotR Trivial Pursuit that no one you know will play with you

~*~obey the sparklies~*~

I wanna play!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

blitzcatt wrote:

Is there really such a thing as LOTR Trivial Pursuit? I've never even heard of this before!!! (Throwing on jacket, grabbing keys to truck and heading out the door headed for the nearest toystore...)

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

blitzcatt wrote:

Is there really such a thing as LOTR Trivial Pursuit? I've never even heard of this before!!! (Throwing on jacket, grabbing keys to truck and heading out the door headed for the nearest toystore...)

Paul

Yep there is. 

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

blitzcatt wrote:

Paul

Yep there is. 

*Gasp!* I want it!!! That would be so fun!!! 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

blitzcatt wrote:

Paul

Yep there is. 

*Gasp!* I want it!!! That would be so fun!!! 

I know!! But it's just getting enough people who are willing to play....

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

You're a true geek when you realize there's nothing wrong with you -- it's the rest of the world that doesn't have its priorities straight.

Most prominent sign that I might be a geek: while drfiting in and out of consciousness after surgery, watching the baby dragons feasting on their mother's kill was as real, but less terrifying, as the nurse who came to check my bandages.

When being a geek caused a problem: I was having an argument with a dragon when a nurse walked in. I showed her my tape recorder and explained that I'm a writer and was working on a scene, but she checked my chart for what medications I was on and made a note that the staff shrink should visit me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
TiggerBear

Capuchin wrote:

You're a true geek when you realize there's nothing wrong with you -- it's the rest of the world that doesn't have its priorities straight.

Most prominent sign that I might be a geek: while drfiting in and out of consciousness after surgery, watching the baby dragons feasting on their mother's kill was as real, but less terrifying, as the nurse who came to check my bandages.

When being a geek caused a problem: I was having an argument with a dragon when a nurse walked in. I showed her my tape recorder and explained that I'm a writer and was working on a scene, but she checked my chart for what medications I was on and made a note that the staff shrink should visit me.

Ah I hope all, is doing better.

I know the feeling I've got a hospital chart that says "Patient is much stronger if morphine and anesthesia are mixed. Use caution.". I apparently bodily lifted a male orderly one armed, off the ground. No way I could do it sober, trust me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Capuchin wrote:

Ah I hope all, is doing better.

I know the feeling I've got a hospital chart that says "Patient is much stronger if morphine and anesthesia are mixed. Use caution.". I apparently bodily lifted a male orderly one armed, off the ground. No way I could do it sober, trust me.

Tig-

It depends on where you grab them. Standard take-down is not always successful, BUT... there are ways to get the whole body to follow one little part if you have the right grip.

LOTR trivia is really fun - just offer to take a handicap- run the whole card instead of just one question. (That's what Perrin and Squatch make me do when we play.)

There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
Wilshire
0 Kudos

I believe I must add a comment to this. You know you are a SF/fantasy geek when you must do a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars all-night movie marathon at least once a month - whether you have to work the next day or not. By the way, thanks for informing me about the LOTR Trivial Persuite game. I shall be picking it up tomarow.