Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

pagemaven wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Capuchin wrote:

You're a true geek when you realize there's nothing wrong with you -- it's the rest of the world that doesn't have its priorities straight.

Most prominent sign that I might be a geek: while drfiting in and out of consciousness after surgery, watching the baby dragons feasting on their mother's kill was as real, but less terrifying, as the nurse who came to check my bandages.

When being a geek caused a problem: I was having an argument with a dragon when a nurse walked in. I showed her my tape recorder and explained that I'm a writer and was working on a scene, but she checked my chart for what medications I was on and made a note that the staff shrink should visit me.

Ah I hope all, is doing better.

I know the feeling I've got a hospital chart that says "Patient is much stronger if morphine and anesthesia are mixed. Use caution.". I apparently bodily lifted a male orderly one armed, off the ground. No way I could do it sober, trust me.

Tig-

It depends on where you grab them. Standard take-down is not always successful, BUT... there are ways to get the whole body to follow one little part if you have the right grip.

LOTR trivia is really fun - just offer to take a handicap- run the whole card instead of just one question. (That's what Perrin and Squatch make me do when we play.)

Well hmm I was prostrate, just coming out of abdominal surgery. Having freakish nightmares. Poor guy leaned over me to tell me to stop screaming for my husband. "You can't see him right now. Your in a woman's only recovery ward." I apparently lifted him by his shirt 5 inches off the ground. And shouted "well then, push me out into the hall!" The anesthesiologist thought it was hilarious and came by to give me the blow by blow a couple days later. Not sure grip had anything to do with it. 

Well now I'm jealous!

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

I know the feeling I've got a hospital chart that says "Patient is much stronger if morphine and anesthesia are mixed. Use caution.". I apparently bodily lifted a male orderly one armed, off the ground. No way I could do it sober, trust me.

Thanks for the concern, but those incidents were years ago.

I never lifted anyone off their feet. I did, though, object when a nurse was trying to insert a catheter -- they say that to control me, they tied my hands to the bedrails with twisted towels, which I promptly tore, and then they used leather straps. I still have the scar on my wrist where one of those cut into me when I broke it. They were probably very thankful that I was only trying to interfere with what they were doing, and I didn't seem to want to hurt anyone. The matter was settled when the doctor ordered a suitably-sized injection.

The kicker came when the insurance company refused to pay part of the bill -- they said I couldn't possibly have been given all the sedatives/anesthetics listed for that day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

I never lifted anyone off their feet. I did, though, object when a nurse was trying to insert a catheter -- they say that to control me, they tied my hands to the bedrails with twisted towels, which I promptly tore, and then they used leather straps. I still have the scar on my wrist where one of those cut into me when I broke it. They were probably very thankful that I was only trying to interfere with what they were doing, and I didn't seem to want to hurt anyone. The matter was settled when the doctor ordered a suitably-sized injection.

The kicker came when the insurance company refused to pay part of the bill -- they said I couldn't possibly have been given all the sedatives/anesthetics listed for that day.

Well, at least they didn't suture your ears to the gurney mattress. (An effective if unorthodox method of restraint occasionally used for combative people who use mind-altering substances.)

There are more of us than you think.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Capuchin wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Well, at least they didn't suture your ears to the gurney mattress. (An effective if unorthodox method of restraint occasionally used for combative people who use mind-altering substances.)

Yikes the thought of them giving you the substances and then mauling you because of the way you act on them. I didn't need that one.

New User
stevehendry
0 Kudos

When you live, breathe, and write it.

Train

Train
www.stevehendry.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

When you collect Dragons, Unicorns and an occasional Wizard.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

You mean figurines, right? Because if you've found the real thing, I can't imagine how much time you must spend straightening up the home. :smileyindifferent:
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Penelope,

Yes it is figurines and stuffed toys.  I wouldn't mind having a live one if I had a cave out back to keep it in.  Have to make sure we didn't have any missing pets.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
TiggerBear

PenelopeTX wrote:
You mean figurines, right? Because if you've found the real thing, I can't imagine how much time you must spend straightening up the home. :smileyindifferent:

What your wizard isn't finding interesting alchemical uses for dragon dung at your place? (grin)

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

You believe cats have the magical ability to teleport right beneath your feet....and they work in teams.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

You believe cats have the magical ability to teleport right beneath your feet....and they work in teams.

Brad

Dude, cats walk though walls. It not teleporting,  it's phasing.

New User
Dragothna
0 Kudos

You've ever stayed up all night till it was time for work/school saying to yourself, "OK just one more chapter then I'm going to bed."
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Dragothna wrote:
You've ever stayed up all night till it was time for work/school saying to yourself, "OK just one more chapter then I'm going to bed."

That's me every single night. Seriously.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Dude, cats walk though walls. It not teleporting,  it's phasing.

I thought my cat would be able to protect/heal me if anything should happen to me or I was dieing?  He does have a habit of just appearing at my feet a lot of times.  (Thinking on that where does he come from?)

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

We have a 13" beagle who does the same thing, but more in response to food than pending disaster.
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

HAHA

this thread is great!!!

you know you are a scifi/fantasy geek when....

-you see a blue telephone boothe and totoally flip out

-when you water your plants speak "robotically" and say "germinate...germinate"

-know that the pyramids were built by aliens

-have a website explaining wh you know the pyramids were built by aliens

-cast an unforgivable curse on your teacher when they are not looking

-you pretend your pen is a light saber

-cried when your mom wouldnt let you buy the 10 year anniversary addition of the lego death star model

-went home and built your own death star

-when people are trying to get into a starbucks, you block their way and say "none shall pass"

-when you get a paper cut, remind your self "it is only a flesh wound"

-search animal shelters for sirius black

-tell your enemy to go to mordor

-when someone says "i love you" you say "i know"

"We could do pizza."
TiggerBear

-when people are trying to get into a starbucks, you block their way and say "none shall pass"

Dude, blocking people's way to caffeine is an unforgivable sin.

Oh you guy's will get a chuckle.

Went to the plant store today and had the attendant literally rolling laughing when he asked me how he could assist an I in prefect tone chimed "WE must have a shrubbery!" Since it really was what I came to buy, I couldn't resist.

New User
vampireangelbaby

you know you're a SF/ Fantasy geek when...

-you wait by the mail on your 11th birthday to get your hogwarts letter.

-you wish you could go to Xavier's school for the gifted. and you know what that is.

-you know that Gambit and Rogue are meant for each other. and that poor Wolverine soooo deserves Jean Grey.

-you know vampires can't be born because vampire bodies are froze in time and if you freeze a girl's body, she can't change to have a child.

-you know what i'm saying right there.

-you've ever thought about how if you go into the past to change the future, the future wont change because in the future, you've already changed the past.

-once again you get what i'm saying there.

-you know vampires and werewolves don't fight, because they never really meet in battle because they don't live by one another.

-you're mom used to go to all the star trek movie with her dad and now is taking you on mothers day.

-when you think you should have been born a Fairy.

-when you know there are infinite ways of spelling faery, but you do know that some are nymphs and not full fairies.

-when you correct your friends on the way they pronounce deosil or Athame.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

OR...all your friends already know how to pronounce deosil and Athame.  I'm having a Summer Solstice-Birthday-Retirement party next month, and Wiccans abound. (This makes us VERY geeky in some peoples' books.)
Inspired Scribe
djaq

you know you're a SF/Fantasy Geek when....

-you went into a depression after you didnt recive a hogwarts letter

-draw maps of lands like middle-earth or narnia

-draw maps of your own lands you created

-just got offended, because the lands you map out are not lands "you created" they are real

-believe that once you get enough experience maping out lands, you can take over for the Caretograher of Lost Places

-you know who the cartograher of lost places is

-can name every member of the inklings

-spend all of your time on the B&N web site

-claim that your fluffy cat is actually a tribble

-went to see the new star trek movie on opening night

-went to the movie dressed as your favorite character

-after the movie finshed, you went to the next nearest theatre and saw the movie again

-went to see the new star trek movie on saturday

-and would have gone to seen it again today if it wasnt mothers day

-are taking the day out of work/school tomarrow to see the movie-again

-had 6 lord of the rings themed birthday parties in the past 6 years

-laugh hysterically at all of the SF/Fantasy refrences connor temple makes

-you know who connor temple is

-you know who tom baker is [who doesnt???!!!]

"We could do pizza."