Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


Bradinator1 wrote:

.....you rejoice at the news that Guillermo del Toro is making is last U.S. appearance before leaving for N.Z. to start on "The Hobbit" movie. 'Bout time he quit fooling around! Now cast the dang movie!!!

 

Brad


QFT.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

When your jazzed just in general, when you google Conan and get the results that someone repicked up the rights for Conan Crown of Steel.
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

...you see fog outside, think it's mist and want to go running out with pennys, nickles, dimes, and quarters.  Then hope it "accepts" you...
_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
New User
Lunasea1039
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-05-2009

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

[ Edited ]

 Well my geekiness isn't completely apparent in my daily life, however...I show it the most when it comes to MMORPG's. I'm kind of private about all the books I read and science fiction I watch (I work with people that have no appreciation for it). But my free time is mostly devoted to gaming...and people always ask how my husband and I met (since I'm clearly not from the south). 

 

...you take the day off from work when the new expansion pack for your favorite MMO comes out.

 

...you start telling stories to friends about your friends in the MMO. 

 

...you fall in love with a guy you've never seen in an MMO (that lives clear across the country).

 

...you marry the guy and have a kid with him.  And now have two seperate computers placed right next to each other so you can game together.

 

...your child knows how to play and he's only four. 

 

...when your child grows up and asks how you and dad met, you can say something like, "He was a mage and I was an archer...and we met on the Vesayen Islands, where we would battle Armordillo's together. He always wore a blue robe and I had the most gorgeous celdon armor. It cost me a fortune in motes to acquire..."

 

Oh, oh! I thought of something other then MMO's.

 

...you name your cat "Mavin Manyshaped" after a favorite fantasy character. 

 

...you have Michael Whelan pictures hanging up in your living room. 

 

...you secretly picked the middle name for your son because it means "King of the Elves". 

 

...considered taking lessons in archery because you had visions of yourself as a huntress. 

Message Edited by Lunasea1039 on 07-06-2009 01:57 PM
Luna
Contributor
ladytexan49
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎05-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

OMG!! After reading some of the posts here I definitely a SF/Fantasy Geek!

I read all sort of fantasy books, can't watch enough TV and movies dealing with fantasy (I like the new "Merlin" series) and I have a collection of figurines and stuffed dragons and unicorns.

 

I have managed a RPG forum for the last nine years based on Medieval Fantasy and go to Renaissance Festivals as much as I can. (Yes I go in costume.)

 

With that said, I'm glad to find there are others out there like me!

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 360
Registered: ‎08-04-2008

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

....you find one of your buddies, that you lost touch with, has opened his own....get this...coffeehouse and gaming emporium! When I saw the website for my friends place I heard that "angels and trumpets" music in my head. Not only did I reconnect with an old buddy, but coffee and gaming in the same place?!! Turned out Heaven was just about 6-8 miles away and I didn't even know it. All is right with the world now *sigh*

 

 

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
Rachykaych
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎07-09-2009

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

[ Edited ]

Before the LOTR movie came out you spent hours with friends discussing the perfect casting for the movie

you unmercifully beat your best friend and  your husband (not necessarily the same person) on fantasy based trivial pursuit

you've named your house "Imladris"  - I saw this with my very own omnioculars

you wish someone really could design workable ornithopters

you have a laminated card of your 5 superpowers and one of your magely attributes

you have at least at some stage of your life written notes and letters in runes

you spend way too much time on this forum thinking up definitions of Fan/SciFi geekdom

 

Rachel

Message Edited by Rachykaych on 07-10-2009 04:04 PM
"He's winding up the watch of his wit. By and by it will strike."
Correspondent
Permacav50
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎06-26-2009

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

 -Your home state issues CCW's (concealed weapon permits) and you ask the instructor if it's valid for lightsabers.

-The last time you were in an argument you tried to use the force choke on the other person to shut them up.

-You are so caught up in your fantasy/sci-fi world you actually think that worked.

-Happliy you spend $60 on an action figure but you get upset spending $8 on a new shirt.

-After exhaustive effort your house in the real world looks like the one you have in Oblivion.

-You create an armory for your real world house and stock it with weapons from

http://www.epicweapons.com

and/or

http://www.museumreplicas.com.

-Inside your file cabinet you have Advanced Dungeons and Dragons characters that are older than a lot of your family members.

-On your last job interview you say "I would be a great asset to the company because I was in a group that defeated the Tarrasque in 1993".

-You actually know what the Tarrasque is.

-Those are not books that line your walls they are tomes!

-When you retired your favorite RPG character you threw him a party and set him up with a 401K. 

-Forget Earth day you want a day for Azeroth, Faerun, Krynn and Midkemia.

-Last holiday you went to one of those places I just mentioned.

-After describing that holiday to your friends they petition you for psychiatric treatment. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
Posts: 246
Registered: ‎11-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Maybe you need some different friends...? Nobody here would do that. My friends gave me a Shao Lin spade for my birthday, because (according to Max Brooks) it is the ideal weapon for killing zombies; deadly, has a lo-o-o-ng handle and does not need reloading.

 

I also got a LOTR Elvin Knife for Christmas. Maybe we should start a thread about SF/Fantasy equipment. You know you're a geek when you have...

There are more of us than you think.
New User
ZyeAnne
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

yes am so guity of that, my daughter thinks i'm weird everytme i do it.
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

VTfan wrote:

 

 


Bradinator1 wrote:

You want to go to the Smithsonian in Washington just so you can see the original bridge set from Star Trek.

 

Brad


 

I had no idea the Smithsonian had that!  I wonder how many other icons I would see.  Perhaps a pilgrimage is in order!


 

I was not aware either that they had that.  That would be a neat trip to make with the kid also.  Although, the kid may not see the excitment the same way, and just thinks I am an old geek.  There is that word again, geek.  Well, I guess I am...

 

Mel


Yep and they did have a couple of the models used for f/x shots. But the Smithsonian changes displays on a regular basis. They will give you an update if you email them about certain exibits. 


 

I will have to look it up on their site and get the dates.

 

Thanks.

 

Melissa


 

Okay, I have everyone on board to go to the Smithsonian.  As long as we can find a dog sitter we will be going the beginning of August.  Its not long but at least a visit.  Now, which museum is the one to have the star trek and rubby slippers, if they are even there, so I can look at what exibits they will have when we are going to be there.
Message Edited by Melhay on 07-16-2009 11:38 AM
_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 360
Registered: ‎08-04-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


Melhay wrote:

Melhay wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

VTfan wrote:

 

 


Bradinator1 wrote:

 

I was not aware either that they had that.  That would be a neat trip to make with the kid also.  Although, the kid may not see the excitment the same way, and just thinks I am an old geek.  There is that word again, geek.  Well, I guess I am...

 

Mel




 

Okay, I have everyone on board to go to the Smithsonian.  As long as we can find a dog sitter we will be going the beginning of August.  Its not long but at least a visit.  Now, which museum is the one to have the star trek and rubby slippers, if they are even there, so I can look at what exibits they will have when we are going to be there.
Message Edited by Melhay on 07-16-2009 11:38 AM

Mel,

Ruby Slippers are in the American History Museum, The Star Trek displays are in the Air and Space museum. We expect a full report on the trip! Wish I was going *sigh*

 

Brad

 

 

 

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Sweet!! They are both on the list.

 

Thanks Brad.  I will try to let you all know what we see.

 

Melissa

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 360
Registered: ‎08-04-2008

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


Melhay wrote:

Sweet!! They are both on the list.

 

Thanks Brad.  I will try to let you all know what we see.

 

Melissa


 

There is no "try"! Do or do not. (ok, yeah, quoting Yoda fits right on this thread)

 

Brad

 

 

 

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Scribe
djaq
Posts: 1,080
Registered: ‎02-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

you know your a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

 

 

-you call your favorite teacher Lupin

-you rented tons of movies that involve time travel just so you could better understand how Time Turners work

-you have your own Time Turner

-your cat's name is Merlin

-your other cat's name is Strider [im guilty of that.. :smileyhappy:]

-in school when they asked what you want to be when you grow up, you promptly reply; Jedi

-own mulitiple copies of all the LOTR books...

-dont let anyone borrow your LOTR books... and if a friend is foolish enough to ask to borrow said LOTR books, you snap at them and say no. When foolish friend asks why... well they are your precious after all....

-If someone makes a refrence to Saint George, you know they are really refering to George Weasly... :smileywink: he is holey....

-nearly cried when the online sorting hat put you in slytherin

-own a life size cut out of Spock, Kirk, and Vader [im again guilty..:smileyhappy:]

 

 

and you know you are a plain geek when...

 

-you know what FLL stands for


************************************
"We could do pizza."
************************************
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


Bradinator1 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Sweet!! They are both on the list.

 

Thanks Brad.  I will try to let you all know what we see.

 

Melissa


 

There is no "try"! Do or do not. (ok, yeah, quoting Yoda fits right on this thread)

 

Brad

 

 

 


 

(bowing head) Yes Master.

 

:smileyvery-happy:

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


djaq wrote:

you know your a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

 

 

-you call your favorite teacher Lupin

-you rented tons of movies that involve time travel just so you could better understand how Time Turners work

-you have your own Time Turner

-your cat's name is Merlin

-your other cat's name is Strider [im guilty of that.. :smileyhappy:]

-in school when they asked what you want to be when you grow up, you promptly reply; Jedi

-own mulitiple copies of all the LOTR books...

-dont let anyone borrow your LOTR books... and if a friend is foolish enough to ask to borrow said LOTR books, you snap at them and say no. When foolish friend asks why... well they are your precious after all....

-If someone makes a refrence to Saint George, you know they are really refering to George Weasly... :smileywink: he is holey....

-nearly cried when the online sorting hat put you in slytherin

-own a life size cut out of Spock, Kirk, and Vader [im again guilty..:smileyhappy:]

 

 

and you know you are a plain geek when...

 

-you know what FLL stands for


So what does that make me since I keep copies of LOTR just to give them away?

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
Posts: 246
Registered: ‎11-11-2008

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

-


So what does that make me since


TiggerBear wrote:

djaq wrote:

you know your a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

 

 

-you call your favorite teacher Lupin

-you rented tons of movies that involve time travel just so you could better understand how Time Turners work

-you have your own Time Turner

-your cat's name is Merlin

-your other cat's name is Strider [im guilty of that.. :smileyhappy:]

-in school when they asked what you want to be when you grow up, you promptly reply; Jedi

-own mulitiple copies of all the LOTR books...

-dont let anyone borrow your LOTR books... and if a friend is foolish enough to ask to borrow said LOTR books, you snap at them and say no. When foolish friend asks why... well they are your precious after all....

-If someone makes a refrence to Saint George, you know they are really refering to George Weasly... :smileywink: he is holey....

-nearly cried when the online sorting hat put you in slytherin

-own a life size cut out of Spock, Kirk, and Vader [im again guilty..:smileyhappy:]

 

 

and you know you are a plain geek when...

 

-you know what FLL stands for


So what does that make me since I keep copies of LOTR just to give them away?


 

 I keep copies of LOTR just to give them away?


I think it makes you EITHER; a kind hearted and generous friend

                                     OR; an enabler

There are more of us than you think.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...


pagemaven wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:




djaq wrote:

you know your a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

 


-own mulitiple copies of all the LOTR books...

-dont let anyone borrow your LOTR books... and if a friend is foolish enough to ask to borrow said LOTR books, you snap at them and say no. When foolish friend asks why... well they are your precious after all....



So what does that make me since I keep copies of LOTR just to give them away?




I think it makes you EITHER; a kind hearted and generous friend

                                     OR; an enabler


(chuckle) As IF LOTR was a cult or a drug.....

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
Posts: 246
Registered: ‎11-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

...or both.
There are more of us than you think.