Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Only a geeky mom would remember this about her son's friends during Catch Phrase.

My daughter-in-law gave the clue - Ben's family watches what while they decorate their Christmas Tree?

The geeky mom says Star Wars. Ben has a good family.

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

pen21 wrote:

..When you are playing Catch Phrase at a party at your son's house. male team vs. female team. I am giving the clues, the word is Galactica, I say Battlestar, assuming that is all that is needed. But all the women just look at me, shaking their heads. My son and his team are choking with laughter. The rest of the evening when a new game started, the women were asking me to be the token geek on the team. I had found my calling.

Luke...

Sorry were you looking for Skywalker or Duke? :smileysurprised:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Any SF/Fantasy geek, I think, would immediately finish Luke with Skywalker....

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Pommie

...your saving up to get a heron-mark sword

...you realize your day job (diesel mechanic) would be sooo much better if you had magneto's powers

...you get depressed and slow down when nearing the end of a good series

New User
DinoBess
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

. . . you make your own Tribbles with fake fur and squeakers you had to rip out of dog toys.

. . . you use the squeak of said Tribbles to make your sister smile.

. . . you rant on and on about the real story of "The Lord of the Rings" (or replace with any other book/series that was made into a movie/film series) and no one is paying much attention to you in the first place.

"This is my chicken sandwich . . . and coffee." Next Mother's Day my sister and I should stuff our Tribbles into cups and plates and claim all our food's gone, sorry . . . (Yep, we have four white Tribbles.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Books help me both leave and see the world.
Reader 2
spit9lvr
0 Kudos

.....Watching Farscape helped save your marriage because it gave you something else to do besides fight.

....your disappointed that your children don’t like star trek as much as you do.

....you’ve had more than one 20 hour gaming session in your life( paper or MMO)

....you wish life was more like a fantasy novel or sci-fi show

....You wanted to learn a new language and elfish seemed perfectly logical

....you realized listing things wasn’t so  hard because you just thought about yourself and that doesn’t bother you.

New User
Sky-san
0 Kudos

- You know what grok means and use it in everyday conversation

- You become fearful that a ring might throw power at you or turn you insane.

---Reading : Foundation by Isaac Asimov---
New User
LadyeTPau

your first child was born with pointed ears!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

:smileytongue: Ok I want a picture.

LadyeTPau wrote:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

LadyeTPau wrote:

Wow. we have to talk......   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
2manybooks2read

-When you see a wardrobe and walk into it looking for narnia

~Nikki
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

.. from a sci-fi fantasy geek family when your Christmas shopping list includes;

A Sepharoth action figure

The Matrix Trilogy in Blue Ray

The Gunslinger Born (graphic novel)

The Avatar Ecology Handbook

Assault on Athena/Escape from Butcher Bay for Playstation 3

The Gathering Storm on audio book (No. 2 son has a macular deformity which makes

reading a difficult and unpleasant chore.)

Canticle

One t-shirt which says "Come to the Dark Side... We have Cookies."

MERRY CHRISMAHANUKWANZYULRAM TO  ALL!!

( I find it very odd that Sepharoth and sci-fi came into question on spell check, but Chrismahanukwanyulram did not!?!)

There are more of us than you think.
Reader 4
jmwolffyy

...when you had no idea this site existed, came across it at midnight, and then spent the next two hours reading every post and ROFLMAO! Ok, so I was a late-bloomer geek, and don't do the RPG because I already spend way too much time NOT working, and gaming would cause me to lose my job... My other major You Know You're A SF/F Geek When is...

...when you have considered purchasing every item available on your favorite SF/F author's website because you are stuck waiting for the next book in the series. Hello George RR Martin, and Song of Ice and Fire? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the families, and the dragons are just waiting to become a huge part of the story...

My hubby and I have also started a collection of LOTR swords and staffs. Lucky me that he gets as excited about this stuff as I do! The hardest part is deciding to spend the money on the next sword or on the next 10 books we need!

Favorite Series of All Time: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

jmwolffyy wrote:

...when you had no idea this site existed, came across it at midnight, and then spent the next two hours reading every post and ROFLMAO! Ok, so I was a late-bloomer geek, and don't do the RPG because I already spend way too much time NOT working, and gaming would cause me to lose my job... My other major You Know You're A SF/F Geek When is...

...when you have considered purchasing every item available on your favorite SF/F author's website because you are stuck waiting for the next book in the series. Hello George RR Martin, and Song of Ice and Fire? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the families, and the dragons are just waiting to become a huge part of the story...

My hubby and I have also started a collection of LOTR swords and staffs. Lucky me that he gets as excited about this stuff as I do! The hardest part is deciding to spend the money on the next sword or on the next 10 books we need!

Welcome to the forums, jmwolffyy – glad you stumbled across our little home!

Paul

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

jmwolffyy wrote:

Welcome Jmwolffy!  Glad to have you here!

Beware this site could be addicting...  I think that may be an indication of being a SF/Fantasy Geek as well.  LOL!  Glad you joined us.  You are in good company.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

jmwolffyy wrote:

Ok umm ROFLMAO is few too many abviations for my brain this early, translation please. And welcome aboard.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

"rolling on the floor laughing my a** off" -  actually a compliment.

New User
Brokenwatch

I told my students this very thing "you aren't a true scifi geek unless you call the original trilogy the ONLY Star Wars saga"

They did argue with me for some time tho

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Brokenwatch wrote:

I told my students this very thing "you aren't a true scifi geek unless you call the original trilogy the ONLY Star Wars saga"

They did argue with me for some time tho

It speaks very well of you that your students feel free to argue...kudoes to you. Teachers are undervalued in our culture, you all deserve our thanks and support every day.

Contributor
Catlyn99

(I apologize if I state ones that were already stated, after 16 pages I have lost track)

You know you're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

You shop thinkgeek.com for christmas gifts

You bought the 42 towel on thinkgeek.com

You always answer 42! when someone says "I have a question..."

You know where "xyzzy" and "plugh" came from

You are outraged that your friends think "Klaatu barada nikto" originated from Army of Darkness

You tell your your boyfriend (or girlfriend) "Give me some sugar baby!"

Your friends pester you once a week on when you will finally dust off the D&D books and GM again

You have several contingency plans for when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs

You tell your mom you can't talk right now because you are raiding at the moment and are about to kill the dragon

The two best gifts you ever received for Christmas were a chainmail bra and a copy of the Witches of Karres

(the nook came in third)

You think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a brilliant movie

You swear you are just going to lurk on this board and then end up posting all day  ;P

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

...when you are worried that someone elses Zombie contingency plan may infringe on your own. (are we planning on taking over the same Sam's Club and Home Depot?)