Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

Or, worse, when they're arranged first by Series (for example, Star Trek), then chronologically by date of publication, not alphabetically! :smileyhappy: 

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

What's strange about that?  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

"xyzzy" and "plugh"?  You really ARE one of us!  Awesome!

New User
PJWOriginals

...You own Every book in the Discworld, Pern, Xanth, Foundation, Robot novels, Amber, Hitchhiker's, (Insert your favourite author's series here) Series and can't wait for the next book to come out

...You own all or most of these books in HARD COVER

...Your most prized possession is an Autographed first edition of your favourite Sci-fi novel

...You see any movie made from one of these books and say - "I liked the book better"

...You have detailed discussions on the entire LOTR series and where the movies differed from the novels - and how you would have done it differently.

...You used to role play LOTR as kids and have actually read the entire series at least a dozen times.

...You talk about your passion to a non-geek and can see their eyes glaze over - but you keep on going!

New User
PJWOriginals
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Or, worse, when they're arranged first by Series (for example, Star Trek), then chronologically by date of publication, not alphabetically! :

Of course - Most of my bookshelves are arranged that way... First by Author, then by Series, then by Date of publication (or Strictly by publication date if there were no "series", like with Heinlein). Isn't that the most logical way to do it? I have the whole Discworld, Xanth and MYTH sets done that way...

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Gee, they look perfectly normal to me . . . !  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

And then you settle for a short, fat bald Trekkie like me, and realize one morning that you've never been happier!  Yikes!  :smileyhappy: 

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

She doesn't even have to be human, just hot!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Just a small word of advice. When you're responding to someone elses post, hit that qoute button up at the top. Or at least refer to us by name. Otherwise none of have the slightest idea what you're talking about.:smileysad:

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

A. You consider downloading everyone else's responses to this question, because you think they're all so funny that you never want to be without them (Guilty).

B. You actually know a twenty-something woman named Arwen (Guilty).

C. You wanted to marry Yeoman Rand when you grew up more than you wanted to marry Marcia Brady (Guilty).

D. You want to do some post-graduate work at Miskatonic University, but you know better than to go on any of their expeditions; and you know that the consequences for getting too friendly with anyone there named Danforth or Carter are the same as those for getting too chummy with anyone wearing a red Starfleet uniform shirt.

E. You do not need to race to your big bookcase to verify the spelling of "Miskatonic" (I had to check).

F. Your first guess as to how to spell "Miskatonic" was correct (Guilty).

G. You want to visit Venus so you can map the walls of Eryx.

H. You think that the best version of Civilization was the original DOS version (Guilty).

I. You know what "DOS" was (Guilty).

J. You saved your allowance (or stole money from a grownup) to go to Woolworth's to buy your very own copy of "Mission to Horatius" AND YOU STILL OWN IT (Guilty)!

K. You've been to more than one Star Trek convention (Guilty).

L. You bought a tribble at a Star Trek convention.

M. You know that "RPG" has two meanings, and that the lesser of them was invented by IBM (Guilty).

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Just a small word of advice. When you're responding to someone elses post, hit that qoute button up at the top. Or at least refer to us by name. Otherwise none of have the slightest idea what you're talking about.:smileysad:

Thanks!  I should have checked one of my replies before I just kept sending others!  (Am I maybe not geeky enough for this thread?)  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Thanks!  I should have checked one of my replies before I just kept sending others!  (Am I maybe not geeky enough for this thread?)  :smileyhappy:

You're fine, common newbie mistake.:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

B. You actually know a twenty-something woman named Arwen (Guilty).

. You've been to more than one Star Trek convention (Guilty).

...while celebrating the demise of your first husband, your got gloriously drunk with a lovely forty-something woman named Galadriel, and laid on your back in a meadow at 8500 feet looking at Hale-Bopp until the sun came up (or you passed out, or were eaten by coyotes).

There are more of us than you think.
Reader 2
BigBookWorm
0 Kudos

You know You're A SF/Fantasy Geek When...

......after watching the move Role Models you decide the hottest character is Esplen (Alexander Stamler)...

.......you spend two hours in Barnes @ Noble deciding which LOTR trilogy pack you should buy....

.....during the day even during relatively important periods your mind wanders to more important issues like...how come in RPG's your characters always follow the perfect path which enables them to fight enemies in an ascending basis.....

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

BigBookWorm wrote:

You know You're A SF/Fantasy Geek When...

.....during the day even during relatively important periods your mind wanders to more important issues like...how come in RPG's your characters always follow the perfect path which enables them to fight enemies in an ascending basis.....

because-

...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear

and there is nothing quite so instructive as fighting for your life. (Isn't that why we do it?

New User
Anastasia21

You are on this board reading the posts at 3 in the morning with tears in your eyes because you finally feel as if you've come home.That is of course after you spent hours and your last paycheck buying all the new fantasy books because you've been in withdrawl stroking you favorite books calling the precious for too long. I love you guys. AND i'm not afraid, I can be myself here so i shall say it..."Live long and prosper!"

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

Anastasia21 wrote:

You are on this board reading the posts at 3 in the morning with tears in your eyes because you finally feel as if you've come home. That is of course after you spent hours and your last paycheck buying all the new fantasy books because you've been in withdrawal stroking your favorite books calling them precious for too long. I love you guys. AND i'm not afraid, I can be myself here so i shall say it..."Live long and prosper!"

Right back at you! 

I knew others would occur to me:

You remember what IDIC stands for;

It's been years since you played chess against a living being, because you own more than one chess-playing application; 

Two of your wife's girlfriends, both of whom are PhD's (actually, that ALONE qualifies you, them and your wife) refuse to watch "The Big Bang Theory" with you, because the characters remind them too much of people they actually know!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Two of your wife's girlfriends, both of whom are PhD's (actually, that ALONE qualifies you, them and your wife) refuse to watch "The Big Bang Theory" with you, because the characters remind them too much of people they actually know!  :smileyhappy:

...when you truly believe that SQUINTS RULE!!!!

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

You tell 'em, Bones!

Also, you mean there are still people out there who believe we DON'T rule?  We must hunt them down!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

You tell 'em, Bones!

Also, you mean there are still people out there who believe we DON'T rule?  We must hunt them down!  :smileyhappy:

I will help you hunt :smileyhappy: They are easy to spot - they are the ones who still roll their eyes when we use "big words".

Not only do they not believe we rule, BUT -  I bet even the biggest BBT fan doesn't know that Fred Hoyle was kidding around when he coined the term Big Bang.

(extra geek points to everyone who knew that).