Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Nursefuratu

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

When you know that Youre a Sf/Fantasy geek when..... 

• in the Starwars Universe Timeline-  you know that BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin.

• You teach yourself how to make chainmaile because you are a ren fair geek and then make yourself a chainmaile dice bag becuse you are a D&D geek. (No more Crown Royle bags for me!)

• Your husband asks for your hand in marrage at the local theatre production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show backstage while still in costume (I was Janet and he was Rocky).

• Finds it funny that Pagemaven is a nurse, mother, beagle owner, & sf fantasy geek just like I am and her tag line is "there are more of us than you think". (cue twilight zone music)

"That's what we all are - just stories. We only exist by how people remember us, by the stories we make of our lives. Without the stories, we'd just fade away." - Charles de Lint.
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Nursefuratu wrote:

• You teach yourself how to make chainmaile because you are a ren fair geek and then make yourself a chainmaile dice bag becuse you are a D&D geek. (No more Crown Royle bags for me!)

....but chainmail dice bags (whilst being very cool, I'll admit) don't come with Crown Royale in 'em. And doesn't the chain mail cuase marks on yer dice (no double entendre' meant here!).

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Nursefuratu wrote:

....but chainmail dice bags (whilst being very cool, I'll admit) don't come with Crown Royale in 'em. And doesn't the chain mail cuase marks on yer dice (no double entendre' meant here!).

Brad

Yeah I was wondering if it chinks um up. I've got a few metal dice that I keep in bags in the bag just to prevent that.

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Yeah I was wondering if it chinks um up. I've got a few metal dice that I keep in bags in the bag just to prevent that.

You could do like that high-roller in Guys and Dolls and remove all the spots (every time you roll, you just remember where the spots were), so a few nicks from the bag wouldn't hurt.

Or you could line it with leather (all the chainmail I've seen either had a thick leather lining or there was a separate leather 'undershirt' for it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Contributor
dnqxtsck5
0 Kudos

a friend of yours says they don't like your favorite book and you go into a passionate 10 minute rant about why it's so amazing.... And it's actually a well thought out argument that you've gone over in your head several times.... 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

You could do like that high-roller in Guys and Dolls and remove all the spots (every time you roll, you just remember where the spots were), so a few nicks from the bag wouldn't hurt.

Or you could line it with leather (all the chainmail I've seen either had a thick leather lining or there was a separate leather 'undershirt' for it).

A leather ligning might work. But nicks are a hard core gamers no-no. Throws off the balance. Then you get the (cough) anal geek with a calibrater testing everyone's dice before a game because he thinks someone's using loaded dice.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dnqxtsck5 wrote:

a friend of yours says they don't like your favorite book and you go into a passionate 10 minute rant about why it's so amazing.... And it's actually a well thought out argument that you've gone over in your head several times.... 

Guilty!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Nursefuratu wrote:

When you know that Youre a Sf/Fantasy geek when..... 

• in the Starwars Universe Timeline-  you know that BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin.

• Your husband asks for your hand in marrage at the local theatre production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show backstage while still in costume (I was Janet and he was Rocky).

• Finds it funny that Pagemaven is a nurse, mother, beagle owner, & sf fantasy geek just like I am and her tag line is "there are more of us than you think". (cue twilight zone music)

I had to respond to this... too funny!!!  and twilight zone is perfect..

There are more of us than you think.
Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote: 
 twilight zone is perfect..

Have you ever had the feeling that Rod Serling is just around the corner and talking about you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Contributor
Nursefuratu
0 Kudos

I do sew a liner inside the chain maile dice bags, and I haven't had any problems with scratches or chinks and I have been using it for a dice bag for over a year now. You do need to make sure you use aluminum rings though and not steel to avoid any rust issues. :smileywink:

"That's what we all are - just stories. We only exist by how people remember us, by the stories we make of our lives. Without the stories, we'd just fade away." - Charles de Lint.
New User
scarletshark
0 Kudos

Ah hahahaha! I've been laughing, laughing over these posts...

And yes, I must admit, my cat's name is Warg.

:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

When you write and self publish your own novel simply for the love of the genre.
Bradinator1

scarletshark wrote:

Ah hahahaha! I've been laughing, laughing over these posts...

And yes, I must admit, my cat's name is Warg.

:smileyhappy:

This is one of the best threads we ever had on this board. Funny! Naming yer pets fits right in here. In my house there have been pets named Frodo, Merry, Ranger, Strider, and Storm (short for Stormbringer).

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX

You risk getting an F in a college class when you correct the teacher who just said that there is no difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. 
Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

StarChaserNX wrote:
You risk getting an F in a college class when you correct the teacher who just said that there is no difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. 
That teacher has no business in that profession. What a dolt.  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

StarChaserNX wrote:

Hey, Debbie, great word usage – I love the term "dolt"... it's right up there with dufus and nimrod. Bravo!     :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

StarChaserNX wrote:

Hey, Debbie, great word usage – I love the term "dolt"... it's right up there with dufus and nimrod. Bravo!     :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Thanks Paul :robotwink:

Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I am not entirely sure if this qualifies, but you get tempted to write a television or movie producer for accidentally showing zippers in their movies about the middle ages.

You wonder why everyone has such bright shiny teeth in the movies about the middle ages and have clean although muddy streets to walk on.  (Really they should have a few actors step in the horse apples for realism)

Also you have read enough in both genres to bore non geeks to tears by discussing things like why the movies Starship Troopers and Battlefield Earth were a sin against sci fi. (I will admit I hadn't read Startship Troopers until after I saw the movie, but why such a social commentary of a book was a bloodbath fluff movie is beyond me) 

You really wish you had someone to discuss the evolution of Big Brother in American society with.

You feel cheapened that you watched the X-Files series and they made the movie as if none of the episodes about the aliens had been aired so non geeks would go see it.

You find yourself wondering why we haven't managed flying cars yet.

Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Those are neat cakes (I haven't been here in this thread for quite some time so I just saw the pics today)!

I don't bake cakes, but I had a biology teacher that assigned a final project instead of a research paper.  I actually like research papers because you learn nifty stuff researching them, but she thought they were boring to read so we had to do a project.  I ended up making "organ shaped and painted" bakers clay cookie ornaments.  It was right before Christmas and I did mitosis and an endocrine snowman (those were easy because circles and I had a man cookie cutter) and I also did freehand a heart, a lung and a kidney.  Those were harder to cut out believe me lol.  Anyway I painted them with acrylic paints and because it was actually Christmas time I even punched the holes in the top and ran green and red colored ribbon through the holes.  The teacher begged me to let her take organ ones home to decorate her Christmas tree.  She assured me they would fit right in with the geeky science ornaments like brains and such she collected.

I had been planning to dump them in the garbage on the way out and let her have them all including the tins so she would be able to wrap them back up to keep them from getting chipped.  She asked me as though it would be doing her such a favor.  Other people offered to let her keep their projects when she asked for mine, but she just wanted to decorate her tree!  Lol.  I wonder if science geeks are sci fi fans lol.  I do wish I could have seen her tree!

P.S.  Just a friendly warning that if you ever want to drive across a bridge again without panic attacks do not do a research paper on concrete and road construction!  I did that for my first year engineering class and I get nervous about bridges to the point it makes my husband laugh at me!

Message Edited by plaidfroggie on 08-22-2009 02:56 PM
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

.....You have watched all the webisodes of "The Guild", are eagerly awaiting Season 3, and are super amused by their music video that just came out entitled "Would You Date My Avatar". The music video was written by Joss Whedon, by the way. Very funny!

Brad