Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

[ Edited ]

When you fully understand and agree with the Evil Overlord list.

When you caught that obscure pop reference in Butcher's Ghost Story (where Harry is looking for someone, near the beginning of the book)

When you're morified that your wife, a fellow fantasy lover, thought the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books were boring.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

You have ever written anything containing the phrase: Land-loving Cephalopod...

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

I used to like "frakkin'" until the oil industry took it over. Lately it's been "keep nasty 'taters" or whatever. Hard to argue with the classics.

There are more of us than you think.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

These are lumped in with your textbooks:

Lumped in?  Heh, I used to read Heinlein and Asimov's thinner works in class (7th-11th grades) by inserting them in the textbook and holding the textbook at an angle ...

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Lumped in?  Heh, I used to read Heinlein and Asimov's thinner works in class (7th-11th grades) by inserting them in the textbook and holding the textbook at an angle ...

You probably learned more from the "masters" than from the textbooks. Heinlein's rational anarchy always sounded like a great idea to me - too bad our numbers make it impossible.

There are more of us than you think.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

JedStarkiller wrote, in part:

How about You know know your a SF Geek when you you have hand made Jedi Robes in your closet and you can't wait for halloween to wear it.

Or you wear that kind of thing even though it ISN'T Halloween!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

See, in my case, everyone EXPECTED me to wear a Star Trek uniform or costume for Halloween so it's the one thing I WON'T do (I don't like being predictable) ... and yeah, I'm a Trekker not a Trekkie so I don't speak Klingon or Vulcan, use the Vulcan greeting sign or wear costumes in everyday life but I'll happily engage in a discussion of the technical differences between a Constitution-class Heavy Cruiser versus the Enterprise-class upgraded Heavy Cruiser, speculate on how the TNG-era warp limits relate to TOS-era warp speeds, just how the transporter beam has to assemble matter and account for information entropy, why Worf (aka Ruffles) has ridges, etc.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

JedStarkiller wrote, in part:

How about You know know your a SF Geek when you you have hand made Jedi Robes in your closet and you can't wait for halloween to wear it.

Or you wear that kind of thing even though it ISN'T Halloween!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

See, in my case, everyone EXPECTED me to wear a Star Trek uniform or costume for Halloween so it's the one thing I WON'T do (I don't like being predictable) ... and yeah, I'm a Trekker not a Trekkie so I don't speak Klingon or Vulcan, use the Vulcan greeting sign or wear costumes in everyday life but I'll happily engage in a discussion of the technical differences between a Constitution-class Heavy Cruiser versus the Enterprise-class upgraded Heavy Cruiser, speculate on how the TNG-era warp limits relate to TOS-era warp speeds, just how the transporter beam has to assemble matter and account for information entropy, why Worf (aka Ruffles) has ridges, etc.

Wow, did you give me an idea!  I'm going to start a new thread . . .

Jeff 

Contributor
shiloh_911
0 Kudos

-You first saw Star Wars (the original trilogy) at such a young age that your mom had to read you the opening credits.  You watched it so many times that now you hear her voice reading them whenever you watch it.

-When listening to the Star Wars soundtracks you can hear the dialogue in your head.

-You taped every episode of Star Trek:  Voyager because it was on TV on a night when you had a school activity.

-You collect sets of dice in various colors.

-You have plans to cosplay a SF/fantasy character at a convention (either an Imperial Guard Inquisitor or an Eldar Farseer).

-You plan to turn your Victorian-inspired wedding dress into an awesome steampunk cosplay after your wedding.

-The vast majority of movies and books you own are SF/fantasy related.

-You understand almost all of the geeky jokes on The Big Bang Theory.

-Your "normal" friends call you a geek/nerd/etc. and you say "Yeah, so?"

--Leanne
Inspired Contributor
altreco
0 Kudos

You read Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone before letting your kids read it, and then insisted on reading each book first "to make sure it's appropriate for you." They stopped buying that by age 10 and thereafter we stood in line at BN to get our reserved copies. One year it was Chapters instead of BN.

You select what new shows to watch on TV based on whether or not it contains a former cast member from Firefly. Who knew Zoe could run a law firm!

You keep Blink saved on the DVR just to freak out people who have never seen it.

You watch and rewatch old Doctor Who episodes just to find the threads of future plot lines that you missed the first 3 times.

Inspired Contributor
JedStarkiller

You understand what "Blink" Is in the previous and post and have to look around for any weeping angels.   Ahh that episode creeped me out couldn't stop staring at every angel statue I saw for weeks.

From the mind of me....

New Tech Support Forum - http://community.jvgeek.com
New User
Hammerhand
0 Kudos

a character "dies" in a TV episode and you respond with "Scotty's dead again, Jim!"

paulgoatallen wrote:

This thread was inspired in large part by a reference to MST3K (Mystery Science Theatre 3000) and Jon B's (non-derogatory!) comment about SF nerds...

I happen to believe SF/Fantasy nerds, geeks – whatever you want to call them – are on the cutting edge of cool. So here's a thread to declare yourself to the world. Stand tall! Walk proud! 

Just finish this statement:  You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

I'll start us off with a few:

...you know all about the significance of Star Trek's red uniform.

...you have named a pet after a LOTR character.

...you have actually read The Silmarillion.

...you have been a Dungeon Master.

Get the picture? Let's hear from YOU!

Paul 

Contributor
bradfordk

--When you spend an hour reading this thread, with it's two years of win. Understanding way more references than not and laughing most of the way through it. --You used legos to create Star Wars people, vehicles, scenes etc. BEFORE Lego released the trademarked sets. (cannibalized many of the old 'Castle', 'Pirate', 'Space' sets in my day.
Inspired Contributor
JedStarkiller
0 Kudos

Your known at work at wookie man becuase of the Chewbacca statue on your desk....

From the mind of me....

New Tech Support Forum - http://community.jvgeek.com
Contributor
aerynSI
0 Kudos

hid them in my desk.

i got an extension to a book report once.  i was reading heinlein's 'red planet' at the time and took it with me when i went with friends to the statue of liberty.  we were climbing up when somehow or other i dropped the book down the statue.  when we got back down the book was gone.

i told the teacher i couldn't finish the report due to losing the book.  she decided the story was so crazy it had to be true.

of course, i didn't tell her i had already read the book several times.

Darkkin

[ Edited ]

This book made you do a happy dance:

Geek Wisdom  

And you know better than to utter the phrase: 'Well it could be worse.'  Knowing if said words are uttered it will get worse, much, much worse.

Contributor
aerynSI
0 Kudos

Your dog attempts to make you feel better by thwapping you in the head with his favorite toy,a stuffed blue dragon named Canth,(...which Rue can identify by name, ask for Canth and he brings the dragon...LOL.)

uh, Canth is brown.  Now Tagath would work. 

Contributor
aerynSI
0 Kudos

Fleetfoot wrote:

Everything you know about Shakespeare, you learned from watching Star Trek.

It is better in the original Klingon.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

aerynSI wrote:

Your dog attempts to make you feel better by thwapping you in the head with his favorite toy,a stuffed blue dragon named Canth,(...which Rue can identify by name, ask for Canth and he brings the dragon...LOL.)

uh, Canth is brown.  Now Tagath would work. 

My dog doesn't care what color his dragon is.  He just likes his dragon, which can be Canth.  And yes, I know Canth is a brown ridden by F'lar's brother F'nor, which leads into my next segue.  You know you're a SF/Fantasy geek when you have read the Dragon Riders of Pern series aloud to your dog.  All good SF/Fantasy novels should be read aloud.

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Darkkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You have your own Elvish dialect and the only written translation guides to the aforementioned dialect are in the possession of (you) the creator and a trusted professor...The rest of it can be found in the Chronicles of the Elshiki.  To obtain the complete language one must read the series...The opening trilogy, Destiny of the Star, coming in Fall 2012.(Mysterious laughter...(Inserted instead of maniacal laughter, which can cause potentially fatal distractions...)).

Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove
0 Kudos

When you substitute words with frack in normal conversation...

When you dream about being onboard the Battlestar Galactica...as Starbuck.

When you spend a few hours scouring thinkgeek.com saying, "I want this...and this...and this...and this..."

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”