Inspired Contributor
avidreader2

Re: You Know You're a SF/Fantasy Geek When...

This is the best thread in all of existence! I don't get alot of the stuff though... I guess I need to study up! But... I can't help but contribute my own personal testimony to the subject.

You know you're a Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek when... 

1... You try to illustrate your favorite Sci-Fi/ Fantasy book, fail epically, and are depressed to the point of parental concern for over a week.

2... your parents punish you by emptying your book case (which is packed with fantasy novels) and taking away the LOTR extended edition dvd's. 

3... you think to yourself, "If my friends knew I was commenting on this thread, I would never hear the end of it..."

4... you bypass a movie night out with your buddies to go to a midnight release of one of your favorite books... which happens to be a fantasy book.

5... you literally bore your sibling to the point of screaming at you while teaching said sibling the history of middle earth.

6... you know someone who has learned elvish... and envied them. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

VTfan wrote:
You've seen the favorite tv show (Star Trek- original) so many you say the line before the actor as you watch.

Greetings, VTfan! ~~~

Well, I'm fairly certain I have seen all of the classic  Star Trek episodes ( certain particular episodes many times over, whereas certain other episodes I  feel like I may have only seen once or twice  - like that one where Spock travels back in time ( by himself ) and he winds up living in a cave, during the Ice Age period of this far-flung planet, and finds himself regressing towards  a "less-evolved" state; feeling emotions; feeling emotionally involved with a woman; eating meat  ---  that one, I have seen only once, I think...

I'm not so sure I would go so far as to say I know exactly  which words a character on the show is about to utter,   ( before he or she utters them ) - but I often at least might have a rough idea what they are about to say...

Of course,  this is very often very easy to do, in the frequent case with Doctor Mc Coy, as when  he is leaning over a prostrate form, and then, looks up to James T. Kirk to say:

[  All together, now... ]

"He's dead,  Jim!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

This is the best thread in all of existence! I don't get alot of the stuff though... I guess I need to study up! But... I can't help but contribute my own personal testimony to the subject.

I don't think you can speak Elvish with a tongue stud, which is probably why it isn't more popular. ( don't have one, but the thought occurs.)

This has been my favorite thread so far...is it geeky to revel in your own geekiness, and

feel awe and envy at the extremes of geekiness of some others? Star Trek and LOTR seem to be the major subjects.

(I can't believe your parents took your books away. I thought my parents were bad when they grounded me with nothing but books, but that was a l-o-o-ong time ago.)

There are more of us than you think.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

When you can answer 90% of the Science Fiction/Fantasy Trivia Questions.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

LindsayLou wrote:

(A)…..when deep down you would rather say, “Live long and prosper.” then “good-bye”.

(B)….when you’ve at least once tried to move something to you hand by using only your mind.

(C)...when you can list all three of the Unforgivable Curses.

(D)….when you pronounce Aragorn with the “R”.

(E)….when you sat for over five minutes reviewing every book, TV show, and movie you’ve seen just so you can add another line to this forum.

(F)…..when you first saw the teaser trailer for the new Star Trek movie and you were more excited then on your birthday.

(G)….when you know who Carrie Fisher is and the exact outfit that made you remember her.

(H)….when you’ve watched many hours of special features on the “Star Wars” and “Lord of The Rings” DVDs.

(I)....when you know the name of the first female Starfleet Captian.

(J).....when you know that you could preform a Mind-meld if only you were Vulcan-- lol or when the words "Vulcan" and "Mind-meld" mean something to you.

"Edited" by Ardo on 03/03/2009

(A): Guilty! -- although, as I grow older, stodgier, & more unimagimative, I don't think past just saying: "Goodbye" ---

In my youthful days, I had the desire to say: "Namarie!" (instead of "Goodbye") or sometimes, perhaps, "Fare thee well, where ever wither you may wander", or possibly:

"May the hair on your toes never fall out!"

(B)Guilty!            (C) Not  Guilty             (D) Guilty!          (E) Guilty!

(F) Not sure about this one - I was waiting  for about seven years or so for "The Return Of Star Trek", but I was going on 21 when the very first Trek movie came out, so I might have been more excited about my birthday at the time....

(G) If you are talking about the original Star Wars movie (from 1977) I can  recall Carrie Fisher, & I  can remember the "outfit", I think...

(H) Not Guilty     

(I) Is this that  first female Starfleet Captain that Rodenberry wanted to place in the original

series, but the TV execs said:

"That's just too improbable" ( Even for the 24th  Century, apparently ) and that:

"TV viewers are just not going to be able to accept the idea of a female Captain"?

I don't know her name, but I could look it up in my copy of "The Making Of Star Trek" ---

Or, are you talking about somebody else entirely, like  Captain Janeway?

(J) Guilty!!! 

Or 

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

I have come to realize that, compared to other "Geeks of High Standing" around here, I am truly not a Full-fledged Geek, or even a fledgeling geek...

Although, at one time in my green youthfulness, I may have had the potential for aspiring to the ranks of geekdom...

Taking, just as an example, the Renn Faire business...

I first heard rumor of the existence of a "Renaissance  Faire" in our region when I was in junior high school ( somewhere in the 1969-1971 period ) ---

I was, at this time, already "primed" to be the kind of person who would be strongly attracted to such goings-on ---

Besides having already become a Tolkien fanatic ever since reading the first paragraph in

"The Hobbit", a few years before this, I had always also been drawn to the romantic visions of Medeival times that one encountered in stuff like "Robin Hood" ( and just about any movie where kings and queens and knights sat around those long tables in the castle halls, or where pieces of meat were turned on spits, out-of-doors at a village fair, while jugglers

juggled and  musicians played, and where standing armies met on the field of battle, with their coats of mail, their shields & swords & whatnot, & you would see the clouds of arrows flying overhead and all that jazz ---

Also, however, at this point, in my junior high days, I had an English teacher who introduced me to Beowulf, Chaucer, and even to a taste of Icelandic Sagas...

Some of the more realistic aspects of life (& its harsher elements) in  these "Days of Yore" were slowly becoming more apparent to me (especially as I studied them closer)

- but  it was still difficult to completely let go of all the romantic notions associated  with long-gone eras, and not to still be attracted to the "play-acting" aspects of the fascinations with Medeival/Renaissance/Elizabethan/Shakespearian culture ---

I'd like to continue with this, in bit, if I may ----

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

I don't think you can speak Elvish with a tongue stud, which is probably why it isn't more popular. ( don't have one, but the thought occurs.)

This has been my favorite thread so far...is it geeky to revel in your own geekiness, and

feel awe and envy at the extremes of geekiness of some others? Star Trek and LOTR seem to be the major subjects.

(I can't believe your parents took your books away. I thought my parents were bad when they grounded me with nothing but books, but that was a l-o-o-ong time ago.)

They either take away my books or my camera... or my painting stuff. Taking away my painting stuff makes me really irritable though, so they only use that on my as a last resort. The books are the most common punishment, because that just makes me sad... which is a good punishment I guess. Taking away my camera just makes me want to cry.
What's really funny is, when I do get in trouble and my parents take away my books, I get really bummed. I see my friends and they ask me what's wrong. I tell them I got in trouble for doing such-and-such, and they ask me if I got grounded. I tell them no... I didn't get grounded, but they took my books away. This makes perfect sense to my really good friends, but my other friends just look at me like I'm from mars. It's a wonderful feeling really. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

...when you have to wear one of those wrist braces for carpal tunnel and start walking around the house pressing your 2 middle fingers into the bottom of the brace (it sits about the middle of your palm) and making the "zzwwpp" noise like Spidey shooting a web. It's just a bonus to have yer wife shout "Stop shooting webs at me!"

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

LindsayLou wrote:

(G)….when you know who Carrie Fisher is and the exact outfit that made you remember her.

(G) If you are talking about the original Star Wars movie (from 1977) I can  recall Carrie Fisher, & I  can remember the "outfit", I think...

Now I know you are a gentleman, because even I think of that gold bikini first.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In keeping with Paul's featured reads for the month..

..when you have a bumper sticker on your car (or a sweatshirt) proclaiming yourself as a proud graduate of Miskatonic University. 

..and when you've been trying to think of how to write a mashup called "The Mysteries of Rudolfo" :smileywink:

Message Edited by Jon_B on 03-04-2009 12:30 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
sflawyer
0 Kudos

Why in the world would you resist?!?!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

In keeping with Paul's featured reads for the month..

..when you have a bumper sticker on your car (or a sweatshirt) proclaiming yourself as a proud graduate of Miskatonic University. 

Jon:

I've actually seen those sweatshirts! (And I want one.) Great post!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

LindsayLou wrote:

Now I know you are a gentleman, because even I think of that gold bikini first.

Well, I'm not so sure if this relates to my "gentlemanly" qualities, or not ---

I never even saw this gold bikini outfit of which you speak! ( unfortunately for me, I guess )

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

A Very Good Evening (from where I am at) To One & All ~~~

I  left off (at the end of my last missive ) still meandering all over the place, & not getting to the point of my rambling narrative - so, I will attempt to complete my thoughts, now ---

The fact that I was a prime candidate for nerdiness ( of the "Renn Faire" variety ) when I was entering my teenage years did not automatically get to realize my nerdy dreams ---

The Big Faire  was located on the other side of the Bay, ( & up in the upper regions of Marin County ) which may as well been a million miles away --

My mother never owned a car ( or had ever learned how to drive ), we went everywhere we needed to be on the local bus system ( & most of the time we simply walked around town ) - Once a year or so, we might make it over to San Francisco, but a weekend jaunt so far away as Marin was unheard of (although there are ways to get up there on the bus, it is an all-day (& night) affair to go there & back again  ( coming from the East Bay)-

using that means ---

On top of all that, we were, how shall I put this, poor.

And, besides that, my mom was just not the kind of person who would do something like sew some costume for me, or anything like that....

But I can't blame her entirely for not being able to realize my Renn Faire dreams at the time - perhaps, if I had sought more assistance from my friends & acquaintances who were

"in the loop" about going to the Faire

( I know they had sign-ups at school for group outings to the Faire, and someone I knew did that bit where one either volunteered to be part of the "staff" there, in exchange for free admission, or perhaps for some nomimal pay as well - working at one of the booths, or belonging to part of the "cast and crew" for the whole elaborate set-up...

The girl I knew who did this was someone who could offer her talents as a singer or a musician ) ---

I guess if I had been determined enough, I would have found a way to get there --

But, as it was, "The Faire" remained a pleasant daydream for me, tantalizingly close - & yet, so far away ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Sorry - just more chapter in my little tale of woe, of longing & regret, & I promise it does have a happy ending, of sorts ~~~

I did finally make it to the Renaissance Faire by the time I was either 18 or 19 years old...

I should have planned my adventure more carefully, but I was determined to finally get there somehow...

The night before, I put together my own makeshift costume, which consisted of a Medieval-style shirt,  sloppily  sewn together with some light canvas material and some strips cut from some old colored shirt or something like that, & the next day I set out with barely enough money in my pockets, & not even being sure how I was going to get there...

In fact, by the time I had made it as far as Berkeley, ( coming from Oakland ) I had almost

pretty much given up on the idea, until I happened to run into my uncle, and one of his friends, at the church,,,

it turned out his friend happened to be headed up that way (going thru Marin County) & I figured: "A stroke of luck!" ---

I finally got dropped off near the entrance to the Faire with only about an hour left for the festivities there ( I know I at least recieved  a big discount for arriving so late ) --

just enough time, barely, to wander from the front end of the Faire-grounds to the back-end, & back again, in time to join in the "Farewell To The Faire" procession ---

So sorry - I know I said this  was to be the last chapter, but I need to tack on one more installment ~~~

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen

OK - this is the very last bit, I promise ---

I must  have been practicing my Renn Faire-style nerdiness for all those years I had been unable to actually be there, because the first thing  I did was come up to someone who looked like he "worked" there, who was in full costume, and sitting, cross-legged, atop a big barrel  (or something like that), and I enquired ( in the best Elizabethan style of talking that I could muster ) :

"Prithee, Sir, which way to the Privies?" ---

Something that caught me off guard, however, was the ambience of "bawdiness", which, apparently, was a staple at these gatherings, of which I was completely naive --

some cute girls came up behind me as I was standing in the middle of lane somewhere,

and one of them pinched me on the behind ---

I had never before been pinched on the arse, anyplace else at any other time - & I wasn't  quite sure how to respond - so, still playing my "part", I shook my fist at them, where they standing, giggling and leering at me ( but in a playful manner ) and I said:

"Insolent wench!"

They looked at me kinda funny - they probably decided I was some kind of weirdo, even if at first they thought I was sexy and good looking ---

Sigh - the vicissitudes of Youth ---

Then after I left the Faire - I had no idea just how I was going to get back home - by sheer luck, I did make it back - but then, that's another story ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ardo please tell me you have been able to make the Renn Faire for many years now and get to go for the whole day... 

I do love the Renn Faires!!  I alway plan to go when it is in town.  I dragged my husband and son to it a few years ago.  I thought it would be a good relaxing time and the costumes my son just loves.  My husband had this look on his face, I could tell he didn't really want to go and was afraid it would be a bore.  But, being the loving husband he is and me saying it was a family day, he went without a word.

When we left at the end of the day, he was MORE than happy he went.  He completely enjoyed himself along with my son.:smileyvery-happy:  It is a ritual now.  We plan ahead to go.  I haven't brought up maybe doing costumes yet.  That will come in time.:smileywink:

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
New User
imissedtheexit
0 Kudos

-When you and your spouce argue if something in a movie simply invisible or actually out of phase

-When you can recite the Litany Against Fear, and know the original meaning of the name of  the planet Ix.

-When you get made about "bad science" in science fiction.. that is they just make up unreasonable stuff and think they can get away with it... duh, that's what fantacy is for!!! And for the last time... really, we ALL know explosions in space don't make noise so why won't they just stop with the big booming!

-When you get really mad at an author for dying, because they didn't finish the series you were reading.

-When you get even more mad at whatever schmuck (usually their kid) tries to finish the series for them and totatally destroys it.

-When you have a framed map of Middle Earth

-When the phrase "the book was better"is in at least 5% of your daily conversations.

New User
imissedtheexit
0 Kudos

Yup, I just bought a bottle JUST so my hubby could have a nice dice bag... and we dont' really drink!
New User
imissedtheexit
0 Kudos

forgot some...

-When you and your other half argue, repeatedly, if Neil Gaimen's books or graphic novels are better.

-when a six sided piece of plastic with dots on each side is NOT a die but a d-6

-when you actually use RPG terms in daily life to describe people. 

-when you become emotionally attached to your own charechters 

-when you see a bad accident and think, wow, someone rolled a 1