Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Quack
0 Kudos

Re: Your favorite Author

I never read Battlefield Earth, but I curious about a few things related to it. Did it have a big Scientology bend to it? Did you like the book because it or in spite of it? What do you think of the author?
New User
SpittleBug
0 Kudos

Re: Your Favourite Author

My favorite author would have to be Christopher Moore. I have never come across another writer who writes the way he does. Start with "Bloodsucking Fiends" and you'll be as hooked as I am. Everything he writes is absolutely laugh-out-loud funny and always has a fantasy twist on the story.
New User
jimnall
0 Kudos

I like to read, and reread, many authors. My favourites tend to be 'hard' scifi authors, some old, some new. Heinlein, Asimov, Bova, Cherryth, Clarke, Zelazny, Niven, Orson Scott Card, Greg Bear, and many others.
I like well defined characters, set in an action setting, either humorous or confrontational, preferrably illustrating some scientific/engineering advance involving exploration of space and planets beyond the solar system. This gets me from Ringworld to "Hokas Pokas" easily.
Computer Geek and sometimes SciFi author.
I'm unpublished but haven't completed my first million words written yet so there's hope.
Jim Nall aka Jimmy the Geek
New User
wastral
0 Kudos

Alright, new to the forums and nobody has listed my favorite authors for fantasy, so here it goes:

Terry Brooks - I like his writing style. In his older Sword of Shannara book series he slowly draws you into a web you can't get yourself out of. The writing style is lucrative and holds your attention to where you can't put the book down no matter how much you need your sleep! The Shannara series is by far the best collection of books I've read in a LONG time.

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Fire and Ice. This series is sooo good! Starts out like any typical fantasy book, and then it throws you for a flip! ANY character has the ability to die in this series. Absolutely no one is safe. It holds your attention waiting to see what intrigue or plot twist will fall onto the next page.

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time series. It's an interesting concept the way the world is set up with their being One True source that some ppl can pull magic from. And that is split into a male half and a female half. Though the male half is seen to be unuseable due to a taint the Dark One has put on it that will eventually drive a male channeler, a magic user, insane. I started out reading this series and absolutely hated the characters and how mule headedly stubborn they were written. As well as to how seemingly blind and naive they were about other things. But if you let go of your own person while reading this and let yourself get caught up in this world, you'll fall in love with it immensely!

Stephen King - I know, there is a whole forum devoted to him but his Dark Tower series definately falls in the ranks of Fantasy. It's a great story plain and simple. It was his ode to Tolkein he published in 1977 I believe, then took up the torch to write the last 6 books in the series in the 90's, finishing around 2004. The first book: The Gunslinger was a cult hit. I wish I could be more thorough in my description, but words fail me as I need to get going.

But, there are my 2 pages for the forum.
New User
2pala
0 Kudos

So glad to have this topic! My favourite author of all time, and by the way a science fiction author, is Richard K Morgan. His first book, Altered Carbon, won the Philip K Dick Award, and for good reason. His books are reminescent of early Gibson, or maybe Philip K Dick (though personally I like RKM books better!)

His use of the English language is phenomenal and I love his metaphors. His novels are character-driven, though the protaganists are more anti-heroic. His descriptions of the emotions of the characters are so well-done you feel what they feel, his descriptions of the physical surroundings are way far and above other authors I have read. Plus his stories have twists and turns, and are exceptional as well. His universe is dystopian and there is a lot of social commentary, which I also enjoy.

The other thing I really like about his books is he doesn't write the same book over and over. Every book is totally different, which is nice for a change from other authors.

If you haven't read Richard K Morgan, start with Altered Carbon, a Raymond Chandler like detective story set in the far future, taking place in Bay City (San Francisco). The protaganist is "Takeshi Kovacs", and there are three books in the series.

Hope you try his books and enjoy them as much as I have!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I'm rereading the first three books in Sharon Shinn's The Twelve Houses series to refresh my memory for the new book that comes out towards the end of the month. I have read several others she has written. I really like her work. I have mentioned many of my favorites in an earlier post. But some of the new ones that have just published there books could very easily be added like T A Pratt and her first book Blood Engine. Very good read. Morgan Howell is another fairly new author, all three of her books were very good.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
SilverNeonAngel
0 Kudos

lady_hockey wrote:
This is a place for you talk about your favourite authors that might be lesser known, or don't have their own thread yet.

• Tell us why you liked his/her books so much.
  • What characters did you enjoy? What plot elements?
  • Are some of his/her books better than others? Why?
  • Who would like to read his/her books? Who does he/she write like?

These are only suggested questions, please feel free to add your own thoughts or questions about your favourite author.

So far, mostly because I just read book 8, C.J. Cherryh - anyone intersted in a conversation about the best "otherworld" creater I have ever read - She is the very best (In my opnion) at creating "aliens" that stay "alien", they never become human - way cool!
May you walk in Light and may your feet always find their True Path
--One who Walks the Way
Contributor
Regaren
0 Kudos

Re: Your favorite Author

I am stuck between two authors. First I would have to say George RR Martin. Song of fire and Ice is by far the best series I have ever read. My second would have to be Douglas Adams. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was an awesome book. I liked most of the series that followed, but towards the end the excitement and fun dwindled. But still to this day I love to reread the first few.
New User
valerie68
0 Kudos

Fantasy-
David Eddings
Terry Brooks
Margaret Weis
Mercedes Lackey

Scifi-
Arthur C. Clarke
Anne McCaffrey
Orson Scott Card
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I liked Battlefield Earth a lot as well. As far as I could tell, it's just pure, classic style Science Fiction. I am no fan of Scientology and I didn't particularly like L. Ron Hubbard all that much. BF:E is still an excellent book.

Another person I don't like much in RL but love his work is Joss Whedon. from what I know about him through his commentaries on my Buffy and Fire Fly DVD's I don't think we'd get along to well. I can still appreciate his work though.

My current favorite author is Kim Harrison. I love her Rachel Morgan/the Hollows series. She is being featured along with the co-authors of Holidays Are Hell over in the paranormal section ( http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=vpttn )

Vicki Pettersson is also very good and is also one of the co-authors of that anthology. Her books are unique. They are about the ever present struggle of good vrs evil in Las Vegas. Instead of vampires or werewolves, her book is about super heroes and super villains, the Light vrs the Shadows.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
New User
WinterDragonne
0 Kudos

I don't think anyone has mentioned him, and that is Brandon Sanderson. As many might know him for...or not. He is the one who is finishing the final installment in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I just love all his books so far. That includes his 2005 debut Elantris and his Mistborn Trilogy: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages (not released yet)

Another of my favorites is Lynn Flewelling. I just love her Tamir Triad, and am now working on the Nightrunner series. I am so looking forward to Shadows Return this June.

Terry Brooks is a must. I am especially enjoying his Genesis of Shannara Trilogy. Having just finished Armageddon's Children all I can say is wow! And i can't wait to get my hands on The Elves of Cintra.

Jim Butcher with his Codex of Alera series. By far my favorite being Captain's Fury. I can honestly say that after Hero of Ages,  that the fifth book in this series is one of my most anticipated books this year. I can't wait for the title to be released, but most of all I can't wait for december to come around so I can get my hands on that book!

There's a bunch more, but these are defenitly the ones that have me waiting and going crazy!!!

Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

WinterDragonne wrote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned him, and that is Brandon Sanderson. As many might know him for...or not. He is the one who is finishing the final installment in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I just love all his books so far. That includes his 2005 debut Elantris and his Mistborn Trilogy: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages (not released yet)
Another of my favorites is Lynn Flewelling. I just love her Tamir Triad, and am now working on the Nightrunner series. I am so looking forward to Shadows Return this June.
Terry Brooks is a must. I am especially enjoying his Genesis of Shannara Trilogy. Having just finished Armageddon's Children all I can say is wow! And i can't wait to get my hands on The Elves of Cintra.
Jim Butcher with his Codex of Alera series. By far my favorite being Captain's Fury. I can honestly say that after Hero of Ages, that the fifth book in this series is one of my most anticipated books this year. I can't wait for the title to be released, but most of all I can't wait for december to come around so I can get my hands on that book!
There's a bunch more, but these are defenitly the ones that have me waiting and going crazy!!!

I'm right there with you with Brandon Sanderson. I read Mistborn just a few weeks ago when Tor sent out the free copy and LOVED it. It was hard to put it down. Since then I've read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. I didn't love that one as much, but I liked it enough to read through it in one sitting. I'm reading Elantris now.

Jim Butcher is another favorite of mine, although I don't get the Codex Alera series at all. I liked the first one OK, but got bored with the second. I love the Dresden Files though. Best. Wizard. Ever.
New User
Mikael
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think my favorite author/authors is a very long list in that I started reading J.R.R. Tolkien.  Then went on to Terry Brooks when he published his first Shannara book, and subsequential books including the newest series 'Genesis of Shannara' I am just waiting for the next book. 

David & Leigh Eddings, Barbara Hambly,  Anne McCaffrey, 
Joel Rosenberg, Jennifer Roberson, & Irene Radford.   

Most recently I have read some of Terry Goodkind's books as well as Stephen R Lawhead and Jim Butcher.

I am however always looking for the next good book to read.  If anyone could suggest one while I wait for the next Brooks, Goodkind, or Butcher book I am always willing to check into it.

Mikey  

Message Edited by Mikael on 04-07-2008 07:25 PM
Contributor
barefoot_countess
0 Kudos

I love Robin McKinley. She has a style that is sometimes hard to follow, but it just sucks you into her world. That, and anyone who can write two different books based on the same story ("Beauty" and "Rose Daughter") and have them be so different, you can't help but love. She is also the reason I got the grades I did in english.

Patricia McKillip is also very good. I have heard people complain that she uses overly plain language. I rather like the fact that she is able to take the most basic words and create such a powerful image. She also likes to leave loose ends that keep you thinking about the book for weeks afterwards.

I have also enjoyed Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Mercedes Lackey, Tamora Pierce (more teen than regular fiction but I still think it fits the genre), David Weber (he has great characters that you fall in love with and cry with and feel like they are your best friends), Elaine Cunningham and many others.
New User
Glittersword
0 Kudos

>>Despite the poorness of the movie one of my all time favs is Battlefield Earth. Nice >>mention on War for the Oaks by Bull. I live in Minneapolis.

>>This must be Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursday's.

I totally agree with you on both counts. They really did nedd to READ the book before they made the movie. Personally I think the storyline was big enough that it could have been split up in the middle into 2 movies.

As for my current favorites.

David Weber
Leo Frankoski
Harry Turtledove
David Drake

and many others...
Frequent Contributor
M-Elffriend
0 Kudos

Here is a chapter from my favorite recent book                 random

Hill / Emberstones Quest Page 101

A HOWLING IN THE NIGHT

It was late in their second day of travel when Farimain came in with the news he had found a shortcut to the giants valley. There was a waterfall that came out of a large cave. He had scouted the cave and found that it went through the mountaintop and entered the giants’ valley just a couple of miles from his home. Farimain did not see the giant but recognized the area from the last time he had been there. Eramil looked up at the sky, the sun would be disappearing soon but perhaps they could make the tunnel before nightfall and approach the cave in the morning.

The companions headed in the direction Farimain lead them. They arrived at the cave as the sun settled behind the mountain. The group traveled through the cave and set up their camp just inside the exit. They ate the sandwiches Donto had prepared for them and drank from the stream that ran through the cave. Then they settled down for the night, they wanted to wait to approach the giants’ home during the daylight.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 102

It was just past midnight and Bearmug was taking his turn at watch. He was thinking of a day 358 years ago when his father accompanied King Beargund in the war against the Chaos Wizard. Bearmug had only been 46 years old on that day and was not allowed to join in the march. His skill with a battle hammer was already as good as any others and he could throw his axes with the best of them. But the King had announced that no dwarf under the age of 100 years could join the army. His father was the Kings brother, and also a member of the throwhammer clan. He along with the rest of the clans’ warriors were the Kings guard. As such they also had perished when they charged into the wizards hold with their king.

That had been the end of the throwhammer clan as there was no elder male within the clan to claim the leadership. That had been a sad time indeed for Bearmug. His mother had rejoined the axwielders clan, which her father was a senior member of. Beramug could have joined also, or any clan he was willing to work his way into a position. But he chose to remain as the sole member of the Throwhammers and so was considered crazy. But Bearmug swore that one day he would make the Throwhammer name great again and set out on the trail to adventure. If he could find the resting place of Beargund and could claim the enchanted hammer of his uncle the name of Throwhammer would once again ring in the halls of the Granite Mountains.

Hill / Emberstones Quest Page 103

A strange howling off in the distance interrupted Bearmugs thoughts. Even as he listened closer it seemed to be coming in their direction. He went into the cave and awoke the others. They could all hear the howling as it was closing fast. The party was up and ready for trouble within moments. They didn’t have long to wait as the howling had become deafening. It was obvious this pack was coming for them and not just out on the hunt, perhaps the Chaos Wizard knew of their coming and had sent them.

The howling stopped as the wolves entered the cave, these were no ordinary wolves, they stood almost five feet at the shoulder and were at least six feet long in the body. Their hair was black and silver, their eyes glowed a bright white, their mouths full of fangs. There were at least twenty of them and they came straight in to attack.

Farimain fired a flame arrow at one and was rewarded with a yelp as it burst into flame. Tarfallus also had his bow out and working taking out another of the wolves. Lil stepped forward with her staff raised and with a word sent a cone of fire into the charging pack. Six of the wolves fell burning to the ground, this should have at least slowed the packs charge but these wolves continued on without care for the fate that took their other members.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 104

Eramil threw a pile of logs on the fire sending flames up to the ceiling, he then took a position on the right hand side of the fire beside Bearmug. Draag, Tarfallus, and Farimain took position on the left. Andros was moving to join Eramil when a wolf leaped threw the flames to attack Lil. A rolling dive took Andros to the wolf and a upward stab of his sword caught it in the chest as it landed. The wolves must have decided to attack Lil as she had shown herself to be a mage of some power, for even as the first one fell another leaped through as well. Lil was ready for the next one and sent it flying back into the flames with a well aimed lightning bolt. Andros took a stand beside her.

Farimain had made his kill with his short sword and dagger, Tarfallus with his sword of sharpness in hand had decapitated another, Draag had crushed the skull of one and sent another flying with hard blows from his mithril staff. These three were doing well and standing their ground against the pack. Eramil and Bearmug were doing the same on their side of the fire, Eramil had cut one down with a huge swing of his dragon sword , while Bearmug had crushed the skull of another charging wolf with a blow from his battle hammer. Lil and Andros continued to take any brave enough to jump the fire, so within minutes the fight ended with no casualties on the heroes side and twenty two wolves laying about the cave.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 105

Something strange began happening to the fallen wolves, their bodies began glowing ,then they turned into balls of light as they floated out the entrance to the cave. The only sign that a battle was waged were the bloodstains on the victors weapons and clothing. Lil and Draag went to work tending the minor wounds their friends had suffered, then Lil sensed the presence of another in the cave. She looked around but there was no one there, none the less she started to warn her friends when the creature suddenly made his presence known.

Eramil and Andros were at the stream washing their hands and faces of the blood from the battle, a light appeared before them and two hands reached out grabbing them and hurling the two across the cave to crash into the wall. The creature then stepped out of the light and with a motion of his hand in Draags direction forced the beastman to obey his command. Draag grabbed Tarfallus and Farimain each in one of his powerful hand and slammed them together knocking them unconscious. Draag seeing what he had done broke the spell that had been cast upon him and in a rage charged at their new foe, Lil sent a spell of sleep into Draags path stopping him and he fell to the floor sleeping.

The creature stepped into the firelight and faced Lil , He was eight feet tall of solid muscle, atop his head was a hood made from the skin of a wolf with a pair of elk antlers rising from the top. He had a whip in his left hand and a huge battleax in his right. He

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 106

laughed at Lil and said, “ So you would save your friend by putting him to sleep. Now that your most powerful member is down, who will save you? Do you think that you and a dwarf are any match for me?” Lil put a hand on Bearmugs shoulder to steady him, then replied, “I know you leader of the hunt, what has brought you here from the astral plane? Is it there are no more foes worthy of you? Or perhaps you are here to do the bidding of some mortal creature?”

The hunter angered at Lils words but answered anyway, “ I am the servant of no one. I am but repaying an old debt, once this task is completed I will be free to hunt among the stars once more. You I shall take my pleasure from, as soon as I finish with your friend.” Lightning fast he struck out with his whip catching Lils staff and pulling it from her grip. He took the staff and tried to break it in his huge hands, when he found he could not he threw it out of the cave into the darkness.

Andros had been knocked unconscious from striking the wall but Eramil had only been stunned, he untangled himself from his friend and stepped up to Lils side saying, “ You can not be much of a man who would threaten a woman when more worthy foes still face you.” The hunter just smiled and once again lashed out at Lil with his whip. This time Lil was ready for him and as the whip came in she held up her hand and spoke a

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 106

pair of words. This activated a spell upon the whip, it burst into flame and then wrapped around the hunter causing him to let out a gasp of pain. Eramil and Bearmug moved forward to attack.

The hunter broke free of his whip just as the two moved in, he blocked the blow Eramil sent his way, Bearmug though was able to land a powerful blow with his hammer on the hunters leg. The hunter howled again but was still able to deflect Eramils next strike. This time Bearmug landed a blow behind the hunters knee causing him to stumble off balance and fall to the ground. Eramil and Bearmug tried to take advantage of their fallen foe, he was to quick for them and managed to roll out of the way of their blows. The hunter regained his feet and once again deflected the dragon sword only to be caught another blow by Bearmugs hammer. He howled again in pain but was able to kick out at Bearmug with his other leg sending the dwarf flying down the passage.

Lil was trying her best to find a way she could attack the hunter without causing harm to her friends. She had seen the hunter before on the Astral Plane when she traveled there with Glimring. The hunter had used his pack to weaken a powerful demon who had unfortunately crossed into the hunters territory. The creature was more powerful than the hunter, but with his exceptional speed and skill he had defeated the demon sending him back to the pits of darkness.

Hill ? Emberstones Quest 107

Lil had fought beside Eramil for many years and knew he would never back down from a fight, she was terribly afraid for him as he was outmatched. The hunter squared off to face Eramil, he was smiling now as if expecting an easy victory. The hunter suddenly threw his ax at Eramil thinking it would cut him in two, only the extra power Eramil gained from the armbands of cave troll strength allowed this not to be true. He stood his ground and deflected the hunters ax, then attacked the unarmed hunter with a fury. The hunter dodged blow after blow Eramil sent his way, then with a word his ax reappeared in his hand. Eramil had a advantage no longer, and was hard pressed defending himself against the hunters attack.

The hunter finally landed a blow to his advantage knocking the dragon sword from Eramils grasp. It was Eramils turn to dodge now, the hunter swung a mighty blow straight down, planning to cut Eramil in two, Eramil sidestepped the blow and when the hunters ax hit the ground Eramil slugged him in the face. The hunter was stunned by this blow, he had never been struck this way before so was not ready for the fist Eramil followed with. Another blow to the stomach and an uppercut to the jaw sent the hunter backwards to the ground stunned. Eramil quickly retrieved his sword and was ready when the hunter regained his feet. A thrust of his sword caught the hunter squarely in the chest as he charged in ax held high. This ended the conflict and the hunter began to glow and floated away as his pack did before him.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 108

Eramil fell to the ground exhausted and Lil ran to his side, He said, “ That is one person I never want to fight again.” Lil smiled, “ I agree, the Hunter and his pack are one of the most feared entities on the Astral Plane. We did well to survive this encounter, I hope we do as well with the Chaos Wizard.” Eramil “I have no doubt that we will. Together we can overcome anything, that is as long as we have our friends.” Lil looked around, Draag was sitting up shaking off the effects of her sleeping spell, Tarfallus and Farimain were standing looking confused, Andros was still out, and they could hear Bearmugs armor clanking as he came running back up the passage.

Lil tended to Eramils wounds first, then she went to see what she could do for Andros. Draag was already working on Farimain and Tarfallus, Bearmug was pacing back and forth still spoiling for a fight. Lil went to the dwarf after she had revived Andros and gently drew attention to the bleeding wound on his arm. He sat down and allowed her to heal him, all of them took a long drink from the potion of endurance that Draag had provided them. They had decided to rest the two hours they had left until dawn, as they readied themselves for sleep a ball of light appeared in the cave and floated to Eramils feet.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 109

The party instantly went to his side ready to do battle again. A voice spoke to them out of the darkness, “ fear not brave warriors, this is not an attack, I wish only to repay a debt. Lord Emberstone, you defeated me fairly and have proven yourself a worthy adversary. I was indebted to an ancient demon and with my defeat you have freed me from that debt. To thank you for this service I give you Greymane, he is the fiercest member of my pack. Should you ever need him you have but to call his name.” The light burst and a bronze statue appeared. It looked exactly like the wolves they had battled except its mane was gray instead of silver. The statue was eight inches long and six inches tall; Eramil studied the statue for a minute before tucking it away inside his belt pouch.

Lil watched what transpired and smiled to herself. It had always been a part of Eramil to overcome even the most hopeless of challenges, only to gain much in the respect of those he came in contact with. That as much as anything is what held those gathered around him. Each of this party was an hero in his own right, all had passed the test of time. They had also shared in perilous situations with the odds against them, only to prevail in the end. But with Eramil , he had a confidence that no matter how bad the odds he would survive, and that same confidence seemed to surround them all when in his presence. Looking at the group around her she had no doubt that they would overcome the Chaos Wizard and all would be well in the world once more.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 110

Eramil lay awake thinking a while longer before going to sleep. He knew how lucky he had been to survive the day, but he also was proud of the gift he had received. He was certain the gift was freely given and no trick of the Chaos Wizards. He was also sure that the Hunter would not report his defeat and their surprise attack still had a chance. He felt the responsibility of leading his friends into danger, for today had nearly cost them dearly. But he also knew those gathered around him and knew that they would have come alone or as a group to face the trials ahead. But the lesson here was one he needed to be sure and not repeat. The wolves were never the real danger, but none-the-less they had to be dealt with, before the true challenge showed itself. Just as the Chaos army would have to be dealt with in order to challenge the Chaos Wizard. Eramil shook these thoughts from his head, he would just have to take things as they came. He then settled back and drifted off to sleep.

Author Lord Emberstone's Quest www.lordemberstonesquest.com
Contributor
Nursefuratu
0 Kudos

My favorite authors are Charles de Lint (love and collect everything he has ever written, favorite book "Someplace to be Flying"), Anne Bishop (love them all but Like the "Black Jewels Trilogy" best), Jim Butcher (never fails to make me laugh and I love both "Dresden Files" and "Codex Alera" pretty equally)
Stephanie Meyer ("The Host" is my fav)
Patrick Rothfuss (needs to write more because he only has one book out thus far)
Emma Bull (loved "War for the Oaks" & "Bone Dance", could not get into "Territory"
Mercedes Lackey (Heralds of Valdamar was my childhood fav and I still have a soft spot for them)
Jacqueline Carey (enraptured with her world up until book 4 and then I got disgruntled and stuck and can't seem to make myself finish it... )
"That's what we all are - just stories. We only exist by how people remember us, by the stories we make of our lives. Without the stories, we'd just fade away." - Charles de Lint.
New User
BrianZewicz
0 Kudos

My own personal favorite books, which have a lot to do with chance since I haven't read many sci-fi-fantasy books other than these: Tolkien's "Hobbit," and his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy; Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy; Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"; and Douglas Adam's "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series.
Contributor
JSyv
0 Kudos

Re: Your Favorite Author

Hello, I am brand new to this whole online book club thing but it looked fun so I decided to try it.

Some of my favorite authors are:

*R.A. Salvatore- I love his Legend of Drizzit books. I just found him a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. In Drizzit he creates a character that I can empathize with. Drizzit ventures forth from the only world he's ever known into one that's completely foreign. He's a dark elf (a race hated by all the surface dwellers) but his heart sets him apart from his kin so he travels alone to the surface. Lots of drama, action, adventure.

*Jenna Rhodes- Her characters are very entertaining and the world she created is complex...lots of different races from elves to galdarkans, to scary bug-thingies. I love the Dark Ferryman.

*E.E. Knight-Way of the Wolf is a truly awesome book. It's about a world taken over by vampires! (Vamp. books are the best!)

*Terry Pratchett- His book The Color of Magic cracked me up! His dry sense of humor always manages to bring a smile to my face. His character Rincewind (a clumsy wizard who spends his time running from danger is quite a unique hero).

Thanks for listening & for the opportunity to chat about my favorite subject-books!!:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Dana_M_Baird
0 Kudos

I'll jump on the bandwagons for Emma Bull, Steven Brust, and Neil Gaiman.

I'll also add two authors who are more in the "magical realism" camp with Isabel Allende:

Louise Erdrich - She writes mystical but strikingly real stories about Native American life.  Her prose is beautiful, and her characters are fascinating.

Gregory Maguire - Most people are familiar with Wicked, but my favorite book of his is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - it is a fantastic read with some great twists.

Dana Baird

www.danambaird.com