Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
RoseBaby

clean up book listings Am I the only one

Who is REALLY tired of all the erotic self pub books littering the sci-fi and fantasy lists?  I am strongly opposed to censorship, but when I browse the sc-fi and fantasy listings online I am turned off but the erotic listings that have nothing to do with the genre.  Because I am an avid reader, and have quirky tastes I don't like to only browse the bestsellers.  But I hate wading through titles that I doubt would ever get into a B&N store and mos certainly don't belong in this section.  So I quit browsing.  For now I am re-reading old books and sticking only to new releases from know authors.  I have no problem with those books being listed appropriately in an adult section.  I have no problem with the paranormal and romantic fantasy offerings that really belong there and I indulge from time to time in the ones that have real plots to support them.

In addition this is the major reaon I have yet to buy my 10 year old a simple touch and start loading her up with gift cards.

Moderators take note -- I don't think I am the only one and you are losing business here.  Yes I report but I would have to spend an hour or so reporting every day to cover the listings.  A simple adult content filter would be ideal.

Thanks for listening!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: clean up book listings Am I the only one

The categorization is pretty awful in general.  It's not just erotica.  Browse through the SF listings and find all sorts of stuff that can't even remotely qualify.  Sherlock Holmes?  Michael Prescott?  JD Robb?  Janet Evanovich?  Tons of romance, much of it historical.

Bad enough that I have to wade through scads of derivative YA vampire/werewolf romances without all this stuff that can't be considered SF or fantasy by any stretch of the imagination.

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Re: clean up book listings Am I the only one

I will second Mac! Paranormal romance badly needs its own forum.