Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

magic and science: the same thing?

It occured to me recently that the laws of magic, as we have them from many authors and many stories , are really the same as science. a Big example is the law of magic that says if something was once a part of you , it is always a part of you. That is absolutely true. Ever heard of DNA? Another is that an object can tell you it's history. That can be done with Ancient logs and timbers, as they can tell from the rings not just the age, but what the weather was like in a given year,  wether there was a fire, etc. Perhaps there magi were the first scientists? Hmmmmm........
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: magic and science: the same thing?

Well, it certainly brings to mind Arthur C. Clark's Laws of Prediction - especially the third:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Well, it certainly brings to mind Arthur C. Clark's Laws of Prediction - especially the third:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Jon hit the nail right on the head: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

This also ties in, to a certain extent, to our discussion about the differences between SF and fantasy.

I know I've been talking about this book ALOT lately but Ken Scholes' debut Lamentation, which comes out on February 17th, is a perfect example of Clarke's laws. The novel begins as a conventional epic fantasy (magic) but as the storyline unfolds – and I won't ruin any plot points for you – the conventional fantasy storyline begins to transform into one that is SF based.

So foureyed, to answer your question, magic and science can be essentially the same thing. I suggest you read Lamentation when it's released – I've reviewed genre fiction for almost the last 20 years and I have never come across a book that is as brilliantly written and constructed as this debut. My prediction: Lamentation is going to revolutionize the way readers look at SF and fantasy and will completely redefine the boundaries of the genre.

(By the way, Ken Scholes is going to be HERE at B&N's Fantasy/SF forum throughout the month of March to talk about and answer questions about Lamentation!)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

You've worked your magic again.  Now if we just get Kim Harrison for more than a week we are going to have a Stellar Month.  Who knows who else will show up at the Festivities.  Maybe Vicki will pop in.  Now if the book would just get here.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
surferartchick
0 Kudos

In most cases it runs hand in hand.  Think about it. If we took an iPod or a Polaroid camera back in time they would have thought we were magicians and then subsequently kill us.  Still the more advanced the technology the more likely it will be considered ‘magic'.