Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

"Classic" books/series/authors that you just don't connect with

It occured to me while reading another thread, that sometimes—despite popularity and/or critical acclaim—not every book connects with every reader. What some consider a classic must-read, others can't be bothered with.

You may read the whole thing, pick it up and put it down and never finish, or just read the synopsis and a little bit and not see what the whole fuss is about.

So, fess up, call 'em out—what "classics" just aren't so for you?

On the fantasy side, for me, it's David Eddings whole Belgeriad/Malloreon/etc.

On the sci-fi side: Bujold's Vorkosigan books.

I'll admit, though, there have been times—years later—when I'll go back and pick up a book again and finally get into it. Case in point: A Game of Thrones.

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Re: "Classic" books/series/authors that you just don't connect with

Foundation!! Those books were a real snoozer!! Could never figure out how it beat out The Hobbit for the Hugo.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Diana Gabaldon, hands down!  :smileytongue:

Most people I know just LOVE the Outlander series; I couldn't get through the first book.  In fact, if it had been a DTB and not on my trusty Nook, I wouldn't have stopped at not reading it.  I would have thrown it against the wall, too!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
MacMcK1957

The Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson.  Just never could get how anybody enjoyed reading them.  Three books of whining self-pity by one of the most unlikeable protagonists I've ever read, and apparently some people liked it enough that there was another trilogy.  And then 20 years later he revived it again for more.  No, thank you.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I never understood all the fuss over Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" or Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five".  In both cases, the writing seemed to me to be disjointed and pointless -- the first Foundation trilogy moved slowly but at least it told a story (and a rather grand one if you waited to let the storyline play out).  In fantasy, the whole Harry Potter series is ... nice ... but I don't understand how they became such a phenomenon before the movies came out.  I can understand how the movies added to the popularity -- if anything, they are richer and better than the books (which is a rarity) -- but the Potter books themselves seem (to me) to be trite and bland.  On the whole I found the Shannara and Prydain series to be much richer and better written.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Contributor
Dresh

Anne McCaffrey, Pern anything... ugh

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I don't know if this counts, but I could never get through 

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) as a child and/or tween.  

Something tells me I should have tried when I was older and stoned.:smileywink: 

Contributor
Shrike

Dune. I tried to read it about 4 times. Actually got through about 200 pages once, but stopped due to boredom. I know many consider it to be one of the best science fiction novels ever, but I just couldn't get into it.

That's the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some pretty unheard of things.
Contributor
Christycard

For me, it's Terry Brooks.  I tried and tried the Shannara series, and I just could not get through the first book.  I had the same problem with David Eddings.  And Mercedes Lackey...  Hm.  I may be sensing a trend...

About 15 years ago I tried reading Dune and COULD NOT get through it to save my life.  Picked it up on a whim about a month ago and breezed through.  I'm on the third book of the series now.  *shrug*  Go figure.  Maybe 15 years from now I should try Terry Brooks again...

The Rage and Love, the story of my life...
Correspondent
wstewart

The Thomas Covenant series.  By the end of the first trilogy, I was hoping the leprosy would win and it didn't get better for me in the second.

LoTR and the Hobbit.  They just never grabbed me.  It might be the drier style of writing that I didn't care for on these.

Bill

RHWright

And, I will admit I've yet to finish the Wheel of Time series. Got through books 1 & 2, but just haven't been motivated to continue. Probably have to re-read them before I do.

And I'm only in the middle of Game of Thrones. Haven't torn through that series either. Honestly don't know if I will go past book 1. It's good, but the cr*p he puts the characters through—don't know how much of that I can find entertaining.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, not a big Terry Goodkind fan.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I love the Shannara series, so I bought the Word & Void trilogy, but I couldn't get past the first book.  It was so different in tone and setting.

I do like many of the series that others have mentioned: LotR, Shannara, Pern, Thomas Covenant (I can see, though, why many might be turned off - Covenant is the very personification of a deeply flawed and reluctant hero), Foundation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I'm with Dulcinea, Shannara was great, Word and Void is ...well...depressing! Really dark and nothing good ever happens to them.

Almost anything by Asimov, always came off as "look at how smart I am!"

Game of Thrones book 1 was real good, book 2 eh, fair to middling, after that it's meandering junk for me, can't imagine what would entice me to read Dance With Dragons. Ick.

Anything with a vampire in it. They're everywhere!! Really tired of them.

I love Glen Cook, but 1 book in his Garrett PI series, I loathed. Petty Pewter Gods. All the other books I highly recommend, this one stunk. Ugh.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
Shrike
0 Kudos

I also couldn't get through Wheel of Time. I got through 6 books, I think, and then they started to get boring. Way too much detail about things I didn't care about.

That's the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some pretty unheard of things.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

The hubby is a giant "John Carter of Mars" fan, but I just can't get into them. 

~Suzi

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Sovereign_Queen wrote:

~Suzi

I loved the John Carter stories – maybe it's a "guy" thing....

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/john-carter-of-mars-image.jpg

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

paulgoatallen wrote:

Sovereign_Queen wrote:

~Suzi

I loved the John Carter stories – maybe it's a "guy" thing....

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/john-carter-of-mars-image.jpg

Are these the books that they are doing a movie of starring Taylor Kitsch?  If that is the case then they won't be a guy thing anymore.  He is BEAUTIFUL.

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

When I was a young man in the 70's, the new wave of Ellison, Zelazny, Ballard, Brunner, Malzberg,  etc was first on the scene.

Dune was the BIG, BIG best seller.  Arthur C. Clarke was right up there also with Rendevous with Rama.  I could never finish either of them.  They both just seemed to drag on and on.

A friend of mine was a big Harlan Ellison fan.  I could never get into it.  He was too much of the "angry young man".

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Anyone interested in the John Carter series, I just downloaded the five-books-in-one set for 99 cents. Click here.  You can get them individually from Gutenberg for free, but I don't mind spending the buck to get them downloaded in one piece.  It only comes to 1/25 of a cent per page.

Reader 2
Lychii
0 Kudos

I love most of fantasy and sci-fi, but there are two notable exclusions:

Tolkien: I just couldn't drag my mind through LOTR, I found it so insanely stuffy and boring.

Douglas Adams: I've read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but just barely. The book is supposed to be clever or funny or something, but I just found it awkward and weird in a bad way.