Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

ASK DEAN KOONTZ (Post Your Questions Here!)

[ Edited ]
Have a Burning Question for Dean Koontz?

Post it here, and you might just get an answer in our exclusive Dean Koontz video blog.

Dean Koontz author photoWhen Dean visited the Book Clubs a few years back, we had a great conversation about The Husband. For the release of his new thriller, Your Heart Belongs to Me, we thought it might be fun to try something new.

So, gather up your nerve and ask your questions here. Dean will review them, and answer his 12 favorites in our exclusive video blog. 

It's not your normal book club, but fun all the same.

Please note ... The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, Oct. 23. Dean's answers will be posted beginning the week of Nov. 17.

We've posted the first and second chapters in this thread. Be sure to read them, and respond.

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-10-2008 11:40 AM
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Ask Dean Koontz (A B&N exclusive)

Dean discusses Your Heart Belongs to Me toward the end of this recent interview on Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Series #4).

Stay tuned for an exclusive early excerpt from Your Heart Belongs to Me.

New User
Ejh0110
0 Kudos

Dear Dean: How many books have you published, and do you have a favorite?  I wonder if you agree with your fans on which of your novels is the best ... my favorite is ODD THOMAS, and second INTENSITY.

New User
Howard
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

I remember reading sometime back that you had an aversion to sequels.  I think I read that a little after I first read "Dark Rivers of the Heart", a book that really screamed "Sequel".

After the second "Chris Snow" book came out, i thought maybe there is a chance you would revisit some past books. 

Then you wrote another book screaming for a sequel "By the Light of the Moon".  I think I even remember reading that you planed sequels for that one.  I'm not sure.

Now we have "Odd Thomas" and for him, the sequel list keeps growing.  He is a great character, but you have had many great heroes.

My questions are: 

So why has only "Odd Thomas" captured your sequel quill? 

When is the next "Chris Snow" book coming out?

Will you ever go back to either the worlds of "Dark Rivers of the Heart" (please) or "By the Light of the Moon".

Thanks for all the hours of pleasure reading (and listening) you have provided me.

Howard 

New User
titaniumwombat
0 Kudos

Hey!

I'm just curious when we'll see the final book of the Frankenstein series. I absolutely loved the first one but I've been forcing myself to wait to start the second until the third has a publish date! 

cheers.

t.

New User
suzzion
0 Kudos

When are you going to finish the Frankenstein series???
New User
Carolynne
0 Kudos

Dear. Mr Koontz, one question has been eating me in a few books, and I know there are more similarities than this one but this is the only one coming to mind

- Why do you choose to name in several books different characters (be it dog or man) called Shep, or Shepherd? Did you know someone by that name? I was just wondering if there was any symbolism behind it or if was merely a choice.

Thank you so much for your time and for your books, they have saved me from some horrid times in my life, thank you very much sir

New User
Justagrl
0 Kudos

I love your work and am always amazed at the diverse characters you create, some of the funniest and also some of the most evil I have ever read.  I write a bit myself and sometimes am surprised by how viscious my characters can become.  I find myself worrying that people will think I am a nutball if I "actually put that scenario on paper."

Do you ever struggle with your darker characters?  The worst I can think of right now would be the shrink from False Memory.

I just don't really want people wondering what kind of devious mind....yada yada...

Or, just maybe...I shouldn't care?

Thanks again for the fantastic stories...you have a fabulously devious mind! :smileyhappy:

Tina

Charlotte NC

New User
Lana
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

I've been a fan of your novels for a long time and I love your work.  Earlier this year I began writing myself after keeping it locked up for so many years, you are a huge influence on my work not so much for genre or style, but in building characters to care about (I hope) and developing a story with detail that you can see.

At the moment I have a 9 - 5 job that while I appreciate having, its also getting in the way of my writing.  I have to takes brief notes at work and expand on them later when I get some 'me' time. During your early years, how did you manage to balance working a day job while trying to follow your passion?

Its driving me crazy not being able to dedicate more time to the art of writing as I have ideas coming out of my ears for the book(s) I am working on. There just arent enough hours in the day. What advice can you give to someone like me just starting to write while trying to hold down a regular job at the same time? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the new book, cant wait to get it!

Kindest Regards

Lana

Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

I have noticed with some of your books, that you include the scientific term - recumbent DNA.  I'm talking about Shadowfires, The Watchers, and Seize the Night.  Have you an interest in this field or was it just a 'catchy phrase' and 'nifty idea' that helped drive your plot point?  :smileyhappy:
New User
OddJim
0 Kudos

Hi Dean!

Having killed off Oddie's love interest so early in the series, is there any hope for (earthly) romance in the succeeding novels or will he carry the torch for her to the conclusion?

BTW, I thought the scene where he is in bed with Stormy, ready to consummate their love at last, only to be reminded that she's really dead and he's having a "psychotic moment," was the most masterful piece of work I've come across in years. The first-person narrative of his mental crisis is absolutely top drawer. But it's too dead-on accurate for you to have just made it up on the spot; what research helped you with that scene?

Best regards,

Jim

Bethlehem, PA

New User
jbennett
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Dean,

Odd Thomas / Chris Snow connection?

I just finished listening to "Odd Hours", great job I loved it!

The real shocker was when I heard mention of the sweatshirt that had the name "Mystery Train" on it. I instantly stopped my iPod and played "Fear Nothing" through the first few minutes where upon I heard what I was looking for, the hat Chris Snow wore also had the name "Mystery Train" on it. Chris found that hat on the military base, Fort Wyvern, 3 stories underground. Plus Odd encounters wolves are and are not wolves like the cats, dog and the rhesus monkeys Chris encounters are and are not.

That is too much of a coincidence.

Is there a new book in the works that connects Odd and Chris? Or was that your way of telling your readers you have not forgotten about Chris Snow, XP man?

Thanks,

Jason 

Message Edited by jbennett on 10-09-2008 07:13 PM
New User
kishufelt
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

Do you still read your fan mail/emails? I was wondering because I remember you saying on your Q 'n' A, on the website, that fan's must include their mailing address if they are requesting to receive signed items. I thought that was very generous of you and I was hoping you are still doing that. I emailed after reading that, but never received a response. I have read Lightning more times than I can count, about every six months to a year, and I would cherish a signed copy from you. I would even send you a copy to send back to me!

Also, I was wondering if you will ever go back to writing the way you used to? (i.e. Watchers, The Bad Place, Strangers) I miss that kind of super in-depth plot. I realize that writer evolve and grow like everyone else, but it would be nice to have an "old school" Dean Koontz novel come out.

Thanks so much,

Keira

Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

Some of your books could rightly be rated PG, or even PG13, while others could very well delve into the more racy R (or even X-rated) fare, especially concerning intimate love scenes between your characters.  I'm wondering if you feel these scenes are necessary to the story or just something to appease those fans looking for a bit 'more' than just a simple horror/thriller/adventure story and did you feel pressured to write this way in the beginning, since I've noticed your later works aren't as - spicy?

And, yes, I know I just asked two questions.  Sorry.  :0)

New User
Rozalina
0 Kudos

Dear Dean,

As I was recently re-reading your book Velocity, I was struck by the usage of a serial killer who invents a murderous game in the name of art. Was that an indirect - or rather very direct - critique of contemporary art and in extension of the so-called postmodern society that in the "everything-goes" spirit and constant investigation of limits may push a person to a murderous (yet creative) spree in the name of Art? I would appreciate any response as I am actually thinking of basing my MA dissertation on your book!

New User
prince_endymion
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Dean,

I am wondering what inspired you to write your books? Was you inspired by somebody or some events in your life or what? And I was wondering if you ever plan on having your books Lightning or Twilight Eyes come out as movies?

Message Edited by prince_endymion on 10-09-2008 07:53 PM
New User
mkdiva
0 Kudos

I am curious to wonder how you gave some of your characters Autism/Asperger's Syndrome.  When you wrote some of these characters these disorders were not popular.

How did you get the disorders so accurate?

I have a daughter with Asperger's Syndrome and your characters have enlightened me.  To laugh at some of the niaeve/anti social symptoms.  Not once have I ever felt that you did any unjust to the disorders.  It is as if you lived it or had someone very close live it.

My most favorite is By the Light of the Moon.  I laughed so much, understanding the difficulty Shep has.

Thank you for your wonderful books.  I am in the process of reading all of them and have come down to the rarest to find.

MKDiva

New User
Burn8882
0 Kudos

Mr. Koontz,

I'm a new fan of yours and I've only read six of your books (and counting). You're novels are new to me, but they are refreshing. The first novel of yours that I read was The Good Guy, and that was about three months ago. It hooked me, and I hold it as one of my favorite novels. Then I read The Husband, and have since gone onto the Odd Thomas series and Mr. Murder. Now that I've given a little background on my own personal knowledge of your work (not very much, is it?), I guess I'll ask my question.

Do you have a favorite villain? If so, why would you say that character is your favorite?

I suppose I'll ask one more question for you. I'm sure your probably in suspense of what I'll ask next, aren't you? (I'm just kidding. You probably have better things to do, but I'm grateful for getting the chance to ask. Even if I may not get any answers.)

Do you ever look to any of your past novels for inspiration when you are working on a new novel?

That's pretty much all I can think to ask. Not really much for twenty minutes worth of thinking, but I still thought of something. Hoorah for me.

A neophyte reader of your novels,

Jacob.

New User
Jonas_Period
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

My question concerns the book From the Corner of His Eye. In the book the character Thomas Vanadium does a quarter trick, which involves rolling a quarter over his knuckles, bringing the quarter underneath his palm, and restarting the quarter again. I've learned how this trick is done, and frequently mesmerize people whom see me perform it in public sparking many odd conversations which I am grateful to you for.

My questions are, did you see this trick performed at a carnival in your youth? and if you didn't where did you find it or see it? Also can you perform the trick with the flawlessness of Vanadium himself?

I thank you for your time.

If your not eaten by sadistic, ecoterrorist by the time you read this I'd appreciate a response.

With deep laughter of Odd, Jonas.

New User
TigereyeH
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Koontz,

First of all, thank you for keeping me up many nights reading a book that I just couldn't put down, more than once! I have read many of your books and plan to go through all of them eventually. My favorite is the Odd Thomas series. The first Odd Thomas book was the first and only book that I have ever read that I enjoyed so much that when I finished it, I immediately went back to page one and read it again. I never wanted to leave Pico Mundo, and I hope that Odd makes his way back home soon.

Actually, I guess I have 2 questions, but both about Odd Thomas. As much as I loved the first book, I was a little let down that there was no explanation for the "black room". It almost seemed like an idea that eventually was discarded for whatever reason. Were there ever plans to further pursue the idea of the black room?

Also, have you ever considered having a movie or movies made based on the Odd Thomas books? For a long while, I didn't think it would be done since all of the book covers don't show his face, and that anonymity added to they mystique. But after the short films about him on your web site came out, hope resurfaced! Will Odd ever make it to film?

Thank you for your time and sharing such an extraordinary talent with the world.