Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Alice Hoffman

Has anyone read her new book " The Third Angel " and if so what did you think? I  really enjoy her work but have heard mixed reviews about her latest.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: Alice Hoffman

I have loved most of her books, but didn't care for this one. The stories (several tied together through one woman) were interesting, but I didn't like any of the characters well enough to get into it. Nothing made me care about them. My daughter (18) did end up liking it a lot though after she got through the intial story thread.
Contributor
socalifgirl
0 Kudos

I have not yet read, The Third Angel, yet. But I loved Practical Magic, the movie version of this story is one of the most fun, exhilerating movies - a favorite in this household. Unfortunatly, the book bears very little relation to the movie. The only similarities are that the main characters exist as they do in the movie, but they don't live with the aunts and magic is not quite the focus as it was in the movie.

But I like Alice Hoffmans writing style and will most likely give The thrird Angel a shot!

-Socalifgirl
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i haven't read her new book but i recently read Blackbird House, which is a quick read, and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
twj

debbook wrote:
Has anyone read her new book " The Third Angel " and if so what did you think? I  really enjoy her work but have heard mixed reviews about her latest.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:
i haven't read her new book but i recently read Blackbird House, which is a quick read, and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
twj

I loved Blackbird House. Every story about the house's occupants is so beautifully written, very magical.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I liked The Third Angel. I liked certain parts more than other parts. I am fan of some of her books. I like the magic in her books.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

johanna49 wrote:
I liked The Third Angel. I liked certain parts more than other parts. I am fan of some of her books. I like the magic in her books.

I started it, but was not able to get into it. I only read the first third and then returned it. I love most of her books, so I'm not sure why I didn't like this one. It seemed different from her others. Maybe I will be able to try again at some other time.
Contributor
angelosdaughter
0 Kudos

I like Hoffman's earlier works better than some of her latest. I read "The Third Angel", and didn't care for it. It was hard to care about any of her characters. I loved her modern reteling of "Wuthering Heights" entitled "Here on Earth" which told how the Cathy character (she had a different name which I can't remember) would have fared if she had married the Heathcliff character. Warning: it's not pretty.

I do lilke her magical realism best of all in "Practical Magic" and "Turtle Moon" I fell in love with her Julian Cash character in "Turtle Moon".

New User
RobynG
0 Kudos

Well I guess from the posts there definitely are mixed reviews. This is the first Alice Hoffman book I've read, and I really liked it. In fact, I like it enough that I'm going to keep it to read again some day. I liked the backwards chronology of the book, the characters and the writing. Maybe it's because I haven't read anything else of hers that my opinion is different from the other posters. I was just going to recommend it to my friend for her book club.
The greater part of our misery or happiness depends not upon our circumstances but our disposition. - Martha Washington

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford