Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Announcement

Hello all my friends at Fiction.

Paul just asked if I would moderate the club and I said of course.

I will never be able to fill Stephanie's shoes, I'm not as learned as she, and probably lack her insight but I do love a great read, I respect the authors who give their life's blood to create something the rest of us can enjoy and I adore the people here who share that with me.

 

So be patient with me Please.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

 

dhaupt wrote:

Hello all my friends at Fiction.

Paul just asked if I would moderate the club and I said of course.

I will never be able to fill Stephanie's shoes, I'm not as learned as she, and probably lack her insight but I do love a great read, I respect the authors who give their life's blood to create something the rest of us can enjoy and I adore the people here who share that with me.

 

So be patient with me Please.

 

 

Congratulations, and have fun, Debbie.

 

Although I am sort of in and out of this board, I will certainly try to support you and am quite certain others will feel the same way. 

 

These discussions are a rich part of my life.  Like most here, reading is a passion and it is a privilege to share and contrast insights with others.

 

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Thank you Pepper, I've read your posts all over the boards and have enjoyed and been enriched by what you've had to say.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Deb, glad to have you aboard!  You have my everlasting support!  :smileyhappy:

 

xo

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Debbie,

Congratulations. You will be great at this.

I will definitely be here in August (my book has been ordered).

I will take a look at the July read.

Don't forget us on the island.

Luanne

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Kathy, that means the world to me.

xo back atcha!! ;-)

 

 

KathyS wrote:

Deb, glad to have you aboard!  You have my everlasting support!  :smileyhappy:

 

xo

Kathy

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Luanne, my friend thank you. Gosh maybe I should run for some kind of office, this kind of goes to your head (not) ;-)

I'm happy you'll join us in August, please yes take a look at July's

 

Oh and as a side note, I'm getting 

 

The Passage 

 

for my next personal read, Paul G has talked so much about it that i MUST read it.

I knew you'd want to know this as you're a big fan of the genre

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pen21 wrote:

Debbie,

Congratulations. You will be great at this.

I will definitely be here in August (my book has been ordered).

I will take a look at the July read.

Don't forget us on the island.

Luanne

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

 

dhaupt wrote:

Luanne, my friend thank you. Gosh maybe I should run for some kind of office, this kind of goes to your head (not) ;-)

I'm happy you'll join us in August, please yes take a look at July's

 

Oh and as a side note, I'm getting 

 

The Passage 

 

for my next personal read, Paul G has talked so much about it that i MUST read it.

I knew you'd want to know this as you're a big fan of the genre

 

 

 

pen21 wrote:

Debbie,

Congratulations. You will be great at this.

I will definitely be here in August (my book has been ordered).

I will take a look at the July read.

Don't forget us on the island.

Luanne

 

I will be waiting for your review. Paul gave it a really good one. It is in my list. I do love my list of books to read. But sometimes I do wish it was shorter.

 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
Posts: 2,530
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

dhaupt, Debbie, I am so happy for you. Go Girl. You will do a great job. I have read your book reviews and envy the way you tell the story.

 

I just check out this book from my library. It sounds really interesting. I wll post you what I think as I read it. I reminds me of a really good thriller. Like Robert Ludlum or a Tom Clancy.

 

So I wish you all the best in your new endeavor. I know that you will be great at it and we are all behind you and will help in any way we can.

 

ReadingPatti

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

Thanks Patti and I hope you'll be stopping by a lot to share with us.

 

ReadingPatti wrote:

dhaupt, Debbie, I am so happy for you. Go Girl. You will do a great job. I have read your book reviews and envy the way you tell the story.

 

I just check out this book from my library. It sounds really interesting. I wll post you what I think as I read it. I reminds me of a really good thriller. Like Robert Ludlum or a Tom Clancy.

 

So I wish you all the best in your new endeavor. I know that you will be great at it and we are all behind you and will help in any way we can.

 

ReadingPatti

 

 

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

I just finished Justin Cronin's "The Passage"... and the hype is definitely deserved.

 

I understand this is the first of a trilogy. Let's hope the sequels are published soon... these cliffhangers are killing me.

 

 

pen21 wrote:

 

 

 

Oh and as a side note, I'm getting 

 

The Passage 

 

for my next personal read, Paul G has talked so much about it that i MUST read it.

I knew you'd want to know this as you're a big fan of the genre

 

 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement

 

IBIS wrote:

I just finished Justin Cronin's "The Passage"... and the hype is definitely deserved.

 

I understand this is the first of a trilogy. Let's hope the sequels are published soon... these cliffhangers are killing me.

 

 

pen21 wrote:

 

 

 

Oh and as a side note, I'm getting 

 

The Passage 

 

for my next personal read, Paul G has talked so much about it that i MUST read it.

I knew you'd want to know this as you're a big fan of the genre

 

 

 

Is it as good as everyone says?

 

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006

The Passage

Hi Debbie

 

Yes, I definitely recommend "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Although I don't read vampire or post-apocalyptic stories, I made an exception for this one. I read all 766+ pages in one weekend.

 

It's a well-done cross-genre novel, and very well written. It's a gripping story... but what pulled me in was the characters. Although it spans 100 years, each character had distinctive traits which made them very real to me... and credibility is very important in a story that forces you to suspend disbelief.

 

I read it on my nook, and nothing could tear me away from it the entire weekend. My friends worried that it was surgically grafted to my hands.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Passage

 


IBIS wrote:

Hi Debbie

 

Yes, I definitely recommend "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Although I don't read vampire or post-apocalyptic stories, I made an exception for this one. I read all 766+ pages in one weekend.

 

It's a well-done cross-genre novel, and very well written. It's a gripping story... but what pulled me in was the characters. Although it spans 100 years, each character had distinctive traits which made them very real to me... and credibility is very important in a story that forces you to suspend disbelief.

 

I read it on my nook, and nothing could tear me away from it the entire weekend. My friends worried that it was surgically grafted to my hands.


 

 

Thanks IBIS for the glowing recommendation. My friend who usually reads like a turtle is on the rabbit fast track with this one, he raves about it too and the best thing, I'm first on his share list after he finishes.

Let's get back together after I finish and chat about it. No don't wait that long just come back and chat about anything and then after I finish it we'll chat about that too.