Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

Anyone interested in covering Ian McEwan?

I would be interested in doing Atonement especially since the movie with Keira Knightney will be coming out this year.
New User
vearnest
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone interested in covering Ian McEwan?

Yes, I would be interested. He is a perplexing author; however, Atonement, is a more "comfortable," novel, while still maintaining the "surreal" tone.
New User
Arctic
0 Kudos

sounds like a good idea to me. i've been intending to read Atonement for quite awhile now.
Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

How should we start a book club for covering McEwan's work?
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

I think you can start a book club by discussing Ian's book here in this thread. Change the message subject when you start a new topic.
That is what I would do. Just go ahead and start and PM the moderator to bump it upward in the chain.
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

Discussion of Ian McEwan's novel Atonement

Due to impending interest in this rather accessible novel by Ian McEwan (certainly more so than The Cement Garden or Comfort of Strangers), I decided to change this thread to be more of a thread focusing on this novel in the context of his other work.

http://www.ianmcewan.com/bib/books/atonement.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement_%28novel%29

The movie is alluded to in: http://www.ianmcewan.com/films/atonement.html

Okay, one of the major reasons why I could tell this novel would be the talk of the town is due to alleged charges of plagarism from Lucilla Andrew's autobiography No Time for Romance. This brings up the question of whether a writer can transform other passages and rewrite them as suited?

McEwan claims her as an inspiration. I know that creative license is important and the great Pynchon has defended the author. James Joyce borrows from all of life, for example, including passages from popular Dublin bestsellers of the day. But was McEwan attempting to do a collage-like look?

Self-reflexive storytelling is crucial in this novel. So read on and I just got my used copy a few weeks ago. I'm plugging away at this book... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

how to start a meaningful book discussion

[ Edited ]

prince_alfie wrote:
How should we start a book club for covering McEwan's work?

Follow the well known B&N recipe: Appoint a moderator, decide a time frame (beginning and end), divide book into parts ( by pages,i.e. in thirds) and think of good questions that will promote discussion of each part. Facilitate the discussion during the time it runs. Take it from there.

ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-04-200711:19 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: how to start/ PS

PS suggest also some related reading and other titles that you recommend, tell us why, it helps. You can also do a research on the author and post his biography etc. All that helps the discussion is great.
Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

Re: how to start a meaningful book discussion

Cool, should I begin a new thread and how do I appoint a moderator for the thread/discussion group? I would love to know the logistics for this.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: how to start a meaningful book discussion

[ Edited ]
Hi Alfie,
This option of starting a discussion aside of what B&N chooses as a regular program is new. We (technically) didn't have that possibility of creating our own threads before (old BNuniversity). Neither do we know if it will work= generate a meaningful discussion, but you can try.

So if you'd like to shoulder the responsibility of being an'inofficial' moderator for the discussion give it a try...or ask if someone of those who replied to your 'call' would be interested. Check also with B&N lit editor, Bill, and ask what is viable in this case. You can message him directly.

You can start topic Atonement and within that post threads giving the main discussion issues. In that way you keep it defined. I am really not thee person to tell you how to do this cuz I have no authority to do so.

BN staff monitors the forum so if something goes wrong I guess they would interfere.

trust your steps
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200703:33 AM

Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

prince_alfie wrote:
I would be interested in doing Atonement especially since the movie with Keira Knightney will be coming out this year.

Yes, I'd like to discuss his books. There was a discussion of Saturday some time back. Did either of you participate?
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion of Ian McEwan's novel Atonement

prince_alfie wrote:
Due to impending interest in this rather accessible novel by Ian McEwan (certainly more so than The Cement Garden or Comfort of Strangers), I decided to change this thread to be more of a thread focusing on this novel in the context of his other work.

http://www.ianmcewan.com/bib/books/atonement.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement_%28novel%29

The movie is alluded to in: http://www.ianmcewan.com/films/atonement.html

Okay, one of the major reasons why I could tell this novel would be the talk of the town is due to alleged charges of plagarism from Lucilla Andrew's autobiography No Time for Romance. This brings up the question of whether a writer can transform other passages and rewrite them as suited?

McEwan claims her as an inspiration. I know that creative license is important and the great Pynchon has defended the author. James Joyce borrows from all of life, for example, including passages from popular Dublin bestsellers of the day. But was McEwan attempting to do a collage-like look?

Self-reflexive storytelling is crucial in this novel. So read on and I just got my used copy a few weeks ago. I'm plugging away at this book... :smileyhappy:

I picked up Atonement today, and I'm leaving for Barbados in a couple of hours, and this will be my primary reading for the next week. When I return, I'll post again with my reactions to the novel. I'm not sure about Atonement within the context of his other work, as I've only read Saturday (and the excerpt from the new one in the New Yorker). I saw the movie of Enduring Love the other day. Maybe I'll read that one next.

I'm wondering whether this idea is being continued, or whether the thread or topic has been moved to another location since no one else has posted here for a couple of weeks.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'd love to take part in a McEwan discussion, and will also spend the next week catching up with Atonement. I've read Saturday and Amsterdam, and after our last McEwan discussion, I'm very interested in reading one of those earlier, darker works. His novels are fantastic for stirring discussion from really different kinds of readers. It sounds like there is still active interest in this thread? I hope so--Was anyone here part of the previous Saturday book club on the Barnes and Noble boards?

Rachel
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

Rachel

I took part in the **Saturday** Barnes & Noble book club discussion. It was a very useful introduction to McEwan. The discussion helped me understand the novel. We went by parts --didn't discuss the entire novel at once, but the moderator posted questions for each part, and these questions launched some very interesting discussions.