Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
davidnmonroy
0 Kudos

Are Political Dramas nonexistent?

[ Edited ]

Eighteen Acres  Does anyone have any idea of where I can find a good political drama book?  I'm not talking about a spy novel or military thriller.  More specifically I'm thinking about something along the lines of NBC's hit TV show, The West Wing.  There is a book called Eighteen Acres by Nicolle Wallace that takes place in the West Wing and surrounds a female president.  I haven't gotten through the whole book, but from the looks of it, the plot is inclusive of a romantic story line and I was looking for something with a little more politics and a little less romance.  Does this sub-sub-sub genre actually exist or is this just wishful thinking?

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Are Political Dramas nonexistent?

That's a really good question. I don't think I've really seen one but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.  Now, I'll be on the look out.  In the mean time I imagine there are quite a few of the non-fiction tell all books that might do in a pinch (I'm sort of thinking of the book on John Edwards, or Bush's memoir (among other presidents'). George Stephanopolous wrote one about a decade ago too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did a little research and found some that might fit your needs:  first try this site:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1890288

And here are some more:

Holding Out  

Spin

Lucky Bastard  

If Men Were Angels 

Big Government  

The Manchurian Candidate 

Sounding the Waters  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pj, as always you go above and beyond I hope that David finds something here that he likes, me personally to enjoy a political drama it would have to be more historical fiction wise like maybe The Other Bolyn Girl or perhaps our last October feature Daughter's of the Witching Hill and non-fiction like Cleopatra.

Reader
davidnmonroy
0 Kudos

To both pj and dhaupt thanks for your input, I'm not one to really engage in forums but I was at a loss and knew fellow readers would have something to say about the topic. I certainly do plan on exporting each of your suggestions.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Haven't read this, but it may qualify (I own it, but it is presently low on my TBR.  Didn't get to it when it "felt" more timely.):

Terrorist  by John Updike

I found this quite fascinating and thought provoking:

The Reluctant Fundamentalist   by Mohsin Hamid. 

I was slightly tempted by this one from a discount table recently, but not enough to buy it:

American Wife  by Curtis Sittenfeld

Of course, any number of the political bios could qualify as fiction, in MHO?!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy