Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
akd1217
0 Kudos

Book Club Question

This may be a silly question, but here goes. I found the book "discussions" board, but I wanted to know if there are any real book clubs through B&N. I want something where we like choose a book a month and discuss that book at a convenient time cor everyone. Is there anything like that through B&N? Thanks in advance for any answers.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Book Club Question

akd1217 wrote:
This may be a silly question, but here goes. I found the book "discussions" board, but I wanted to know if there are any real book clubs through B&N. I want something where we like choose a book a month and discuss that book at a convenient time cor everyone. Is there anything like that through B&N? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hi akd, and Welcome to the forum! I love new members.

Okay to answer your question, only a few forums have actual discussion of novels and only two that have a scheduled discussion that would be here and also the Fiction by Women forum, on Melissa's Fiction by Women they choose what they read by a vote, On Pault Goat Allen's Sc-Fi/Fantasy and also his Paranormal forums he gives several books to talk about during a month but there is no set schedule or anything like that,Becke at Mystery has visiting authors who are talking about their books, but no scheduled read, once in a while Melanie from Romance has a novel she features but again no scheduled read.

On my forum we have a scheduled read every month, however I do the picking. Let me explain. My monthly read is unique because I also have the author visit, contribute, answer questions etc.. during our read.

There are some ideas about adding to these monthly reads here but there is still some considerations and other things to work out, so stick around and see what happens.

We just finished our June scheduled read A Deeper Darkness 

But you're just in time for our July 

The Pub Across the Pond   

and the author Mary Carter will be there through the whole discussion.

If this looks like something you'd enjoy please join in, scroll around our June or any read before to see how it works. And also if you want to join us the July read starts Monday July 9th, here is our reading schedule for the novel.

And here is the link to see our

Scheduled reads for 2012

and our

Scheduled reads for 2013 that I have so far

I'm always excited when new members find us, can you tell me how you did, was it a link, from your nook, how.

I hope to see more of you and hope that you find what you're looking for here too.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

akd1217 wrote:

akdn-- hope you will stick around and join in discussions here.  For those of us in online discussions, "convenient time" is somewhat different than face-to-face book clubs, in which many of us also participate.  B&N boards have evolved over the years and there are fewer of them at the moment that involve reader selection, but those Deb mentions are each good choices, depending upon your interests.  I haven't been active on B&N in recent weeks (months?) because I have had some other reading interests for awhile.  But, the discussions and friendships possible here are great.  Do hope you'll give them a try.  

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

akd1217 wrote:

akdn-- hope you will stick around and join in discussions here.  For those of us in online discussions, "convenient time" is somewhat different than face-to-face book clubs, in which many of us also participate.  B&N boards have evolved over the years and there are fewer of them at the moment that involve reader selection, but those Deb mentions are each good choices, depending upon your interests.  I haven't been active on B&N in recent weeks (months?) because I have had some other reading interests for awhile.  But, the discussions and friendships possible here are great.  Do hope you'll give them a try.  

Pepper

Thanks for chiming in Pepper and I have missed your presence here.

I spoke to Jim Kaufmann a little while ago and he again mentioned how nice it was to meet you at BEA last year.

Onle last thought to akd that I forgot to mention above is that there is not time restraints on these forums, it's more like a casual chat room.

I have on occassion done a live author chat, it was earlier in the year when we featured Cell 8 by Roslund & Hellstrom and the authors were in Sweden talking on the phone to their US editor who moderated the chat. That was fun.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Other boards on the forum line up authors as well, I remember few months ago Brandi the moderator of writer's room brought in poets to discuss with the board how they write their stuff. Also I remember getting to share a discussion with Rizzoli and Isles author Tess Gerristen on mystery board. And Debbie brings in great authors each month. I love her interviews with the featured author of month. So there's a lot the forum offers.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.